Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 15:37   #91
BHPian

Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Bumping up an old thread. I bought a 42K kms run (service records verified) 2013 Altis 1.8 GL six months back. ODO reading is at about 50K now. The car has spent all it's life in Bangalore suburbs where the roads are filled with speed breakers and potholes. I have started hearing a slight metal clunk when the car goes over speed breakers. It is just a faint noise and is audible only if the windows are rolled down and if there are no other vehicles around. Do you think it is the bush that is going to give away ? And one more problem I face is that the car scrapes even medium sized speed breakers if there are 3 people and some luggage in the car. Do you think firmer springs can help ?
The slight metal clunk you're hearing (from the Front?) is likely caused a loose or broken shock absorber link aka sway bar links.

Replacing the link(s) would alter alignment setup which calls for re-alignment works.

I've the hunch that after replacing the above links set, an alignment (specifically Front toe) within factory specifications would be achievable whilst factory provides no Front camber stock.

Aftermarket parts is likely required for Front camber adjustment, CMIIMW.

Is a 2013 Corolla rear suspension non-adjustable type in India market?

I would not be replacing a Front spring set in your scenario until and unless factory Front camber specs is beyond reach despite getting aftermarket camber bolt kits.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:33   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
I've the hunch that after replacing the above links set, an alignment (specifically Front toe) within factory specifications would be achievable whilst factory provides no Front camber stock.
Last time I checked, there was no issue with alignment. It has been 4 months though.
Quote:
Is a 2013 Corolla rear suspension non-adjustable type in India market?
I don't think so. Never heard of it.
Quote:
I would not be replacing a Front spring set in your scenario until and unless factory Front camber specs is beyond reach despite getting aftermarket camber bolt kits.
Point noted.
Old 22nd February 2022, 19:41   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Last time I checked, there was no issue with alignment. It has been 4 months though.
Yes, you may not have alignment issue before current.

Now, you've metal clunk on crossing over bumps ...............
something is obviously loosened or broken, which I speculate to be either one or both of the shock absorber links.

With a broken absorber link, would previously good alignment setup be affected? I would think so.

Would it be out of alignment specs? May be yes and maybe a no, but affected it is .

After replacing a broken absorber link (or any other suspension components like LCA bushes, tierods etc), post repair.. an alignment work is typically always recommended by factories.

Most Viewed