Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 23:13   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
controls are not light enough, engine is noisy, ergonomics not satisfactory,

Horn & music system are of pathetic quality, mine failed no. of times.
My experiences with a 2003 Corolla are quite similar ; the throttle isn't as light as a Maruti,the engine is noisy and subsides only after reaching optimum temperature.

But the horns and the power windows are still strong- for a 8 year old car.

Quote:
Was in a hurry too & must confess that fell in for Toyota's global name.
Absolutely;I believe a Suzuki is as reliable as a Toyota,and costs less.

Overall,I'd definitely not go for a brand new Toyota-it simply isn't worth the extra cash over other equivalent equipment.

Last edited by vigsom : 4th February 2011 at 23:17. Reason: edit
Old 5th February 2011, 18:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Right suggestion but I drive my car myself. Driver can lay hands on only 800 & sometimes Swift. I drive with a heavy foot & Corollas FE takes a big dip, this is why I don't like using it extensively.

After 10yrs of ownership, I won't mind the resale even if it were to be peanuts. A concern though is, I may get too attached & want to keep it forever!
Attachment! that too to a Toyota, never quiet thought of it, it might happen to me as wellWhat the heck.

But I think you should go ahead and buy that beauty that is very close to your heart, one that you have been longing for, once that comes, you will forget that even had a corolla, and if you do that, you might as well let the driver drive it, since it will not be that premium a car anymore. In any case it will go on for ever.
Old 5th February 2011, 23:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My experiences with a 2003 Corolla are quite similar ; the throttle isn't as light as a Maruti,the engine is noisy and subsides only after reaching optimum temperature.

But the horns and the power windows are still strong- for a 8 year old car.

Overall,I'd definitely not go for a brand new Toyota-it simply isn't worth the extra cash over other equivalent equipment.
vigsom: I agree with you totally on refinement and light controls, but what do you have in comparison in the Suzuki stable? Now a Kizashi, yes now you have something to compare (that too not really fair), otherwise you also have the Ethios to compare with the DZire. Nevertheless the corolla has stood its ground and more, and not just like that, also the fact remains that it has never been the car which pluck the strings of your heart, head is very happy on the other end.

But since you have the AT version I think a Civic was better off any day.

Horns and power windows are 'to each his own' I would say, purely depends on the usage, mine have given up already at 78 K kms. I have observed, the parts which have not undergone intensive testing or R&D (and in opinion of Toyota non important) give up first under rough usage.

And as far as reliability is, any Maruti will fall short of a Toyota when it comes to reliability. But then we never had a fair comparison to do one. Even today a Qualis which has done more than 2.5 lakh kms still commands 2.5 lakhs in the market. I have seen a 2003 Corolla (taxi) which has done 3,15,000 kms, without even breaking a sweat and the driver vouches its reliability for another 2 lakhs kms (that is to be seen), but even 3.15 K kms is not what I have ever seen on a Maruti and that too with just the regular service and oil change, think about it.

Value for money? naah..
Old 6th February 2011, 00:22   #49
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I'd definitely not go for a brand new Toyota-it simply isn't worth the extra cash over other equivalent equipment.
Same here, I too find Suzukis equally reliable. Heck my 800 has done close to 2L kms & still going strong. New gen. Suzukis like Swift, SX4 are a different ballgame. Reliability is not an issue these days actually, most manufacturers are on a similar platform.

New Toyota specially if its a Petrol. I will never buy a new petrol Toyota in my life again. They charge a big premium for their name, which for me is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
what do you have in comparison in the Suzuki stable? Nevertheless the corolla has stood its ground and more.
Horns and power windows are 'to each his own'

And as far as reliability is, any Maruti will fall short of a Toyota when it comes to reliability. 2003 Corolla (taxi) which has done 3,15,000 kms,Value for money?
We were discussing is relative terms, cars that cost substantially less are enough reliable too. So, reliability doesn't give an edge anymore. Exceptions like Tata, Fiat, etc. are there.

I've commonly seen cars with high mileage figures in the tune of 3-4L kms & users/drivers vouching for them. Even diesel cars these days do these kind of figures easily, leave alone petrols.

If we talk "value for money", I would rate Corolla as the lowest. Its expensive to begin with, Toyota is charging a huge premium for its badge.
Features, looks, etc. are no pathbreakers. Engine not great, interiors so -so, etc. So, what do we get at the end of the day, just another regular saloon. Don't forget, spares & repairs are very expensive.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Same here, I too find Suzukis equally reliable. Heck my 800 has done close to 2L kms & still going strong. New gen. Suzukis like Swift, SX4 are a different ballgame. Reliability is not an issue these days actually, most manufacturers are on a similar platform.

New Toyota specially if its a Petrol. I will never buy a new petrol Toyota in my life again. They charge a big premium for their name, which for me is useless.

We were discussing is relative terms, cars that cost substantially less are enough reliable too. So, reliability doesn't give an edge anymore. Exceptions like Tata, Fiat, etc. are there.

I've commonly seen cars with high mileage figures in the tune of 3-4L kms & users/drivers vouching for them. Even diesel cars these days do these kind of figures easily, leave alone petrols.

If we talk "value for money", I would rate Corolla as the lowest. Its expensive to begin with, Toyota is charging a huge premium for its badge.
Features, looks, etc. are no pathbreakers. Engine not great, interiors so -so, etc. So, what do we get at the end of the day, just another regular saloon. Don't forget, spares & repairs are very expensive.
To sum it up it was never a good value for money car at any given point of time, but I do not understand why many of the 'general' consumers think it is. And it was also never disputed that its just a point A to B car, very average, as you said even I would never buy a brand new Toyota myself. The car completely lacks character, no individuality to stand out, yet does everything in a mediocre kind of way, we may not like it, but does majority of the car buying population want that?
Old 8th September 2011, 13:40   #51
BHPian

Suspension upgrade for Toyota Corolla

Hello everyone. Hope your having a good day.

I've a 2006 corolla that has run 77k kilometers. The suspension has become weak and I am looking forward to changing them. Well I don't want racing struts as I hardly get on a track, what I would want is a comfortable suspension that would do good with a little bit of racing pedigree into it (i.e it shouldn't hesitate to take a corner at fast speeds). I know that the OEM do a good job and won't break my wallet too but I would like you to suggest me aftermarket parts that would suit my needs. I wouldn't want them to cost a bomb, I am willing to spend 20k.

Thank you
Old 8th September 2011, 16:30   #52
BANNED

Re: Suspension upgrade for Toyota Corolla

hi
you can check bilstein shock b6
Parts catalogue
BILSTEIN B6

b6 using original shock spring
the dealer for this in india is petes
narry
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:15   #53
BHPian

@narry: hi....

Thanks for your input. I did check out bilstein b6 and I've to say they're expensive, way above what I'd want to spend. Could I get to know something within 20k. Thanks in advance
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:47   #54
BHPian

2004 Corolla Wheel Bearings

Friends,

In my friend's 2004 corolla, there is a humming sound from the rear right side while driving.

We suspected the faulty wheel bearings at the back and the Service Centre confirmed it.
The service centre said they cannot replace only the wheel bearing and will replace the entire hub (left & right) with Axle as it comes as a set, though only the right side bearing is faulty. Axle is in good shape.
They are quoting around Rs.10K including labor charges for this.

I need your valuable inputs here:
Is it possible/advisable to get only the bearings replaced without Axle?
For my Accent, I remember replacing only the wheel bearings but not sure about the corolla.
If yes - I can ask my friend to get this done outside with any garage who could source the parts (OEM or equivalent Aftermarket ones) and fix it.
Any pointers to a trusted mechanic in Bangalore who can do this would be of great help
Old 3rd April 2013, 16:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Since Corolla is FWD, there is no live axle at the rear.
Hence the humming sound is from Bearing itself. And yes only the bearing can be replaced separately. No need to replace hub, axle and all.
If the TASC is forcing to replace entire set, please get the bearing replaced at FNG. Take the car to FNG and ask them to remove the bearing. Take it for sample and buy at Local Spares Shop. Get it fitted at that FNG.
If Corolla has Toe Setting (Alignment) at the rear, get the Alignment checked after replacing the bearing as a preventive measure.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:05   #56
BHPian

Some TASSs are known to bleed the customer I suggest you take a second opinion from another TASS before you go to the FNG.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Since Corolla is FWD, there is no live axle at the rear.
Hence the humming sound is from Bearing itself. And yes only the bearing can be replaced separately. No need to replace hub, axle and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Some TASSs are known to bleed the customer I suggest you take a second opinion from another TASS before you go to the FNG.
Thanks IndigoXLGrandDi & zulfi hansi.

I will ask my friend to check with some FNG first for this as I found 10K very expensive for a faulty wheel bearing.
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:58   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Thanks IndigoXLGrandDi & zulfi hansi.

I will ask my friend to check with some FNG first for this as I found 10K very expensive for a faulty wheel bearing.
The bearings alone cannot be replaced. The rear hub is a fully sealed unit and the hub by itself acts as a casing for the ball bearings. So you will have to change the entire hub which is fixed to the ends of the rear axle. Its a fairly simple job and most independent garages should be able to handle it. If you are going to purchase the hub in the open market look for NSK branded hub bearing.

You might have to be a little careful if your car is equipped with ABS as this complicates the work a bit and you will have to be careful removing and refitting the sensor.

The hub bearing without ABS provision should cost you under 4k.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 14:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
The bearings alone cannot be replaced. The rear hub is a fully sealed unit and the hub by itself acts as a casing for the ball bearings.
You might have to be a little careful if your car is equipped with ABS as this complicates the work a bit and you will have to be careful removing and refitting the sensor.

The hub bearing without ABS provision should cost you under 4k.
Thanks FlipSyde. Exactly what TASS told about the bearing could not be replaced alone. But 10K quote they gave seems costly.
So would be checking some Independent Garages for replacement.

I dont think 2004 Corolla came with ABS but will keep this in mind and will check with my friend.
Old 5th April 2013, 19:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Thanks FlipSyde. Exactly what TASS told about the bearing could not be replaced alone. But 10K quote they gave seems costly.
So would be checking some Independent Garages for replacement.

I dont think 2004 Corolla came with ABS but will keep this in mind and will check with my friend.
'04 Corolla definitely didn't come with ABS sensor. Check for NSK Hub Bearings. They are of very good quality and should not cost more than 4k a piece. That along with 1k for fitting should finish the job in under 5k.

Toyota parts are fairly easy to get in the open market.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks