Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 12:50   #481
BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^If your car is under warranty and you take your own oil, please be advised they will endorse in the job card that the oil was brought by the customer. This will give them an avenue to wriggle out of warranty in future, should a claim arise. It is a small risk, but it exists!

If you want to avoid it altogether, let your MASS fill their own oil! Else, buy the oil from a reputed store and keep the invoice carefully!
Sure Sir. I have the invoice with me. Also, my car is still under warranty. I hope and wish I do not end up with any trouble switching to Mobil 10W40. Maybe this time as I have bought it I will go ahead with using it and during next service I will switch over and allow MASS to fill in their own oil.

Please stop me if you get an instinct that I should take a step back and should go with MASS oil only. I am okay with keeping the Mobil Oil in the store room for sometime as Rs.1300 is less when compared to any repair charges that might prop up due to the oil change of my choice.
Old 1st April 2013, 14:22   #482
Senior - BHPian

^^ I went with Shell HX-5 for my first service itself! And I had (still have) extended warranty for two more years, apart from the normal two. I bought the oil only from Shell station, and still have all the invoices for each purchase!

Don't worry, I just brought it to your attention, in case you had over looked the point. MSM will have both Mobil and Shell oils, apart from MGO. We can fill any of those oils from them, then the warranty will be absolutely safe! But they will charge only MRP!

If we buy outside, we must be absolutely sure about the source of the oil and that it is not spurious. Even if we have to pay MRP. Then it is quite safe.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:13   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
I hope and wish I do not end up with any trouble switching to Mobil 10W40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I went with Shell HX-5 for my first service itself!
When my car's first service was due, I went with Maruti stamped Servo engine oil. After that & since then, I have been using Castrol Magnatec. So my second change & since then, it has been Magnatec. IMO, its a very good engine oil. I am planning to shift to fully synthetic but only after my current stock of Magnatec stored in home gets consumed. Shifting to fully synthetic is not advised until you have run-in completely. To be on a safer side, shift to synthetic once you have completed about 5K kms.

As Aroy pointed that synthetic oils can leak through the seals of older engine, I tend to disagree with this point. If that happens, then the seals have gone bad & need replacement.

I would prefer synthetic engine oils anyday. Even in my bike (Honda 125), I am using Castrol Power 1 Racing since I crossed 4500 kms.

Regards,
Saket
Old 1st April 2013, 17:50   #484
BHPian

The bulb issue has been sorted out. It was the fuses in the wiring kit that had gone kaput. Pretty much melted would probably be a better way to put it. Replaced them with new 25A fuses and all is well.

The low fuel problem remains to be seen.
Old 1st May 2013, 04:32   #485
BHPian

Hi!

I need your help. One of the rear wheel bearings of my Alto FF makes strange noises. So it has to be replaced. Itīs not the first time. Some years ago I got it directly from Suzuki here in Germany. But now the Suzuki dealers around are vanished. But there are many other brands who also offer bearings for the Alto FF. I got now a bearing from "Optimal" which should fit. Well... but I have some doubt because it consists of 2 parts (see the image) ? Is this possible?
I can remember years ago as I got the bearing from Suzuki/Maruti it looks different and also the bearing in the Service Manual shown here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2981678 is one parted.
Maybe someone could help before I will go to the garage and the bearing would not fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto - Issues-p4293143_small.jpg  

Old 1st May 2013, 09:06   #486
Senior - BHPian

Check if the number stamped on the bearings are same or not. By two parts did you mean the two bearings as seen from the picture. The two bearings appears to be different; are they for front and rear?
Old 4th May 2013, 06:17   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Check if the number stamped on the bearings are same or not. By two parts did you mean the two bearings as seen from the picture. The two bearings appears to be different; are they for front and rear?
Hi rajeev,

Yes, the 2 bearings on the picture are different. The outer size and also the size of the inner hole is different..... I have attached catalogue pages from the manufacturer. Check for No 972 453. At the 2nd PDF is the answer maybe. There is stated that this kit consists of 2 bearings and also an "A" with an image with strange explanation below. What does this mean?
By the way use all Altos the same bearing type for the rear???? This bearing kit should also fit for the Swift and the Wagon R+ (EM). They have the same part number in the catalogue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf optimal1.pdf (592.5 KB, 552 views)
File Type: pdf optimal2.pdf (478.0 KB, 384 views)
Old 4th May 2013, 08:31   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have attached catalogue pages from the manufacturer. Check for No 972 453. At the 2nd PDF is the answer maybe. There is stated that this kit consists of 2 bearings and also an "A" with an image with strange explanation below. What this mean?
Yes, the parts catalogue also indicates 2 bearings and as there is no separate part numbers for them it could be in a single kit.
The "strange" image 'A' indicates that it is a single row ball bearing. The picture you have attached in your post number 485 are also single row ball bearings.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th May 2013 at 08:34.
Old 4th May 2013, 13:42   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the parts catalogue also indicates 2 bearings and as there is no separate part numbers for them it could be in a single kit.
The "strange" image 'A' indicates that it is a single row ball bearing. The picture you have attached in your post number 485 are also single row ball bearings.
I think the matter clears up now. I spend some time last night to do some research. I checked the catalogues of the different suppliers.
I found 2 suppliers with pictures where the kit looks totally different.

I think this look like the one I got from Suzuki years ago if I remember right. Could somebody confirm this? Itīs the same as in the Suzuki IGNIS.
Old 5th May 2013, 00:42   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
I think this look like the one I got from Suzuki years ago if I remember right. Could somebody confirm this? Itīs the same as in the Suzuki IGNIS.
That type of bearing is used in the rear wheel/axle of the Indian Swift. The bearing number could be different. It is a roller bearing.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th May 2013 at 00:44.
Old 5th May 2013, 03:10   #491
BHPian

Quote:
That type of bearing is used in the rear wheel/axle of the Indian Swift. The bearing number could be different. It is a roller bearing.
The bearing kit on the picture is offered for the Alto FF in the catalogue.
Swift sounds not bad. I just noticed that the Ignis in Europe was somekind of a Swift based Micro SUV in Europe.
Old 5th May 2013, 17:06   #492
BHPian

Quote:
One of the rear wheel bearings of my Alto FF makes strange noises. But there are many other brands who also offer bearings for the Alto FF. I got now a bearing from "Optimal" which should fit. Well... but I have some doubt because it consists of 2 parts (see the image) ? Is this possible ? I can remember years ago as I got the bearing from Suzuki/Maruti it looks different and also the bearing in the Service Manual shown here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2981678 is one parted. Maybe someone could help before I will go to the garage and the bearing would not fit.
Quote:
Hi rajeev, Yes, the 2 bearings on the picture are different. The outer size and also the size of the inner hole is different..... I have attached catalogue pages from the manufacturer. Check for No 972 453. At the 2nd PDF is the answer maybe. There is stated that this kit consists of 2 bearings and also an "A" with an image with strange explanation below. What does this mean ? By the way use all Altos the same bearing type for the rear ? This bearing kit should also fit for the Swift and the Wagon R+ (EM). They have the same part number in the catalogue.
Quote:
I think the matter clears up now. I spend some time last night to do some research. I checked the catalogues of the different suppliers.
I found 2 suppliers with pictures where the kit looks totally different. I think this look like the one I got from Suzuki years ago if I remember right. Could somebody confirm this ? Itīs the same as in the Suzuki IGNIS.
Quote:
The bearing kit on the picture is offered for the Alto FF in the catalogue. Swift sounds not bad. I just noticed that the Ignis in Europe was somekind of a Swift based Micro SUV in Europe.
Hi DeOetelaar, coincidentally, last November I had to replace both rear bearings & a front bearing on my Alto 1.1. The model designation for the F10D engined Alto is RF410 (4-cyclinder, 16-valve, 1,061 cc engine). This corresponds to "Alto IV (FF)" in the first PDF you'd uploaded (Optimal1.pdf) - the corresponding part number appears to be 201-087 (I guess this is an internal part number).

The bearings look pretty much as in the last picture you've posted - if it helps, the front bearing is a bit more substantial than the rear. I can dig up the bearings for you if you wish - if I remember correct, both were regular ball-bearings with twin races (Type "D" in the second PDF you'd uploaded - "Optimal2.pdf").

Curiously, the part numbers in the Part-Catalog are:
Front Bearing : 43440-78A20
Rear Bearing : 46860-M79F10

While the bearings installed in my car had the following part numbers:
Front Bearing : 43440-M68K00
Rear Bearing : 46860-M68K20

The Maruti-Genuine-Parts spreadsheet indicate they're for the A-Star !

Last edited by im_srini : 5th May 2013 at 17:13.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 15:30   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi DeOetelaar, coincidentally, last November I had to replace both rear bearings & a front bearing on my Alto 1.1. The model designation for the F10D engined Alto is RF410 (4-cyclinder, 16-valve, 1,061 cc engine). This corresponds to "Alto IV (FF)" in the first PDF you'd uploaded (Optimal1.pdf) - the corresponding part number appears to be 201-087 (I guess this is an internal part number).
Hi im_srini,
Here in Germany we differ between Alto 1 (I) to Alto 5 (V). The Alto 5 here is your A-Star.
I am always glad if I found more specific details for my Alto in the discription of parts like FF or RF410 and F10D as you have mentioned.
There is just one type of Alto 4 here in Germany from 2002 til 2008 with just one type of engine. This couldnīt be so difficult for the suppliers.

The Optimal Part Number 201-087 is only for the front and there is just one rear kit 972 453 for the Alto 4 which is in fact for older Alto models...

Quote:
The bearings look pretty much as in the last picture you've posted - if it helps, the front bearing is a bit more substantial than the rear. I can dig up the bearings for you if you wish - if I remember correct, both were regular ball-bearings with twin races (Type "D" in the second PDF you'd uploaded - "Optimal2.pdf").
You mean the "Ruville" picture? Sounds good. I found 2 suppliers now (FAG and Ruville) where this bearing kit appears when I look up their catalogues for Alto 4 (FF) rear bearings. I think there is no need to dig up the old bearings. Thanks.

Quote:
Curiously, the part numbers in the Part-Catalog are:
Front Bearing : 43440-78A20
Rear Bearing : 46860-M79F10

While the bearings installed in my car had the following part numbers:
Front Bearing : 43440-M68K00
Rear Bearing : 46860-M68K20

The Maruti-Genuine-Parts spreadsheet indicate they're for the A-Star !
I have also searched by using the bearing part number from the service manual you posted in this thread pages before. But with this number I havenīt found anything useful.
The new numbers you have posted indicate much better results!
But just the number for the front bearing..... for the rear lack of results
I think I will try the FAG/Ruville offer which seems to be OK finally.
Old 11th May 2013, 07:30   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I recently got some work done on the AC. I actually got the condenser replaced since the car was not cooling at all. Since then I have noticed 2 issues.

1. The mileage has dropped to below 14kmpl. I used to get between 15 and 16 earlier. I drive almost always with the AC on.
2. When the AC is on and the car is idling at a traffic signals, the compressor switches on (which is usual) but of late what is happening is it switches on and then off immediately, then on again and so on. (I hope I am using the right words 'compressor on'!).

Can someone suggest what could be wrong?

My car has done 32500 kms so far and I always use the tank full to tank full method to measure mileage. I also use the same petrol bunk every time.

Travelwriter
Hey can you tell me how much the condenser costed? And which brand? thanks.
Old 24th May 2013, 23:11   #495
BHPian

Hi
I have two queries regarding my 2010 alto
1.There is noticable sound coming from the silencer when I press the accelerator hard. Ive shown this to a nearby garage and he says he can do a welding job to repair/remove whatever is loose inside and this would set me back about 300 bucks. how long do these welding jobs last? should I skip the welding and simply replace the silencer?
2.My car has been sitting idle for 10 days and today while cleaning it I noticed that when I pressed down the front left side of the car to check the suspension I could hear a noticable clicking sound and found that it required more effort than pushing down on the right front side of the car. I noticed no visible leakage however from the left front strut and upon releasing the car found that it is not bouncing too much. what could it be?

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks