Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 15:38   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes, mechanics as such are bit lazy to check those. I had asked the same during last check and he was saying some story about lasting more and all. My car is nearing 35K kms and next service is due at 40. Was thinking if to change or not, ie why asked. Guess better to get it changed.
There is no harm in changing the accelerator cable at 35K but a strict NO for clutch overhaul if there is no symptom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Clutch slipping can be detected by the following symptoms:
  • Your vehicle starts to have poor FE
  • You need to downshift more often when going up a hill or incline.
  • You have to press harder to use the clutch.
  • Your engine starts revving when you put the car into motion (from a stop) or when you start accelerating.
  • The clutch can’t be adjusted to provide pedal “freedom” or slack (also called pedal "free play").
  • The clutch feels stiff and needs more pressure.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
I differ here. Only point No 4 is more pertinent. Points 1 and 2 may occur due to, definitely, other factors. Point No 5 is not at all correct. It was pointed to me by a mechanic and recommended for immediate clutch overhaul and when I refused to accept his line, I was advised not to venture on long drives. I had clocked 15000 KM since then without spending a paisa on the clutch. To have free play you can shift the link by one spline and the problem would be solved.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th November 2012 at 15:40.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 16:28   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m

Your engine starts revving when you put the car into motion (from a stop) or when you start accelerating.
I dont think so. When you put the car into motion, the engine wont revv unless you are pressing the accelarator. If the engine revvs freely before you pick up speed(clutch fully depressed), thats an indication of your clutch going to fail soon. Initial stages of the end of life of a clutch will be difficulty in changing gears, loss of pickup at high engine speeds, bad feedback from the clutch. A hard clutch is caused to an improper release bearing. Many a times, it is the bearing that fails first. In order to replace the bearing, the entire clutch has to be opened and hence they overhaul the entire clutch kit instead of just the bearing.

Also, a hard clutch in the case of cable operated systems is also caused due to a bad cable. Replacing the clutch cable solves this problem if you feel the clutch is not the culprit. Moreover the cable costs less than a few hundreds, a lot cheaper than the clutch overhaul.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:06   #423
Senior - BHPian

Clutch slipping symptoms and remedy.
When you press the accelerator only the engine rpm will increase and the vehicle speed will not increase proportionately. This is due to slipping of the clutch and is the common occurrence suggesting clutch disc replacement. Once the clutch is opened replacement of other related components may also be necessitated like pressure plate, release bearing etc. Replacement of non related items like oil seals, flywheel ring assy etc may also be required if teeth are worn out as opening soon again could be avoided.
Oil leaking from oil seals of the engine and gearbox side can also result in clutch slipping.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:57   #424
BHPian

I need some advice.

My previous cars were - 118 NE, Palio Diesel and I now own a Polo. Just two days back I have purchased a used Alto LXI - May 2011 regd. 6000 km run, for my wife and daughter.

When I first drove this car I realised a difference at clutch. When you release the pedal the clutch does not disengage almost till it is 3/4 released. Then it suddenly engages giving a small jerk. This also happens when you shift in motion from 1st to 2nd..3rd.. 4th..etc. However, in my knowledge there is no slippage.

Is this normal with Maruti Alto or there is something wrong with clutch adjustment? In polo the release is very gradual and there is no jerk when you shift and release. My experience with my previous cars was also same. Seasoned Alto users please advise.

Secondly, the brake pedal has wooden feel. The car does not slow down unless you press the pedal bit hard even at small speed of 20-30 kmph. Please advise on this issue also.

Thanks.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 18:16   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
...When you release the pedal the clutch does not disengage almost till it is 3/4 released...
I think you mean engage.

The clutch issue you mention sounds pretty normal to me. That is how the clutch of my Alto has been. At best, you can try adjusting the tension of the cable, since the clutch is cable operated. By making the cable a little more loose, you can set it to engage earlier during the pedal travel. I had made a thread regarding this some time back, including a video. You can find it here:

Alto Clutch

As for the brake, it sounds a little unusual. You might want to get the brakes checked at a MASS, since I have not found any such problem with my brakes. That's why it doesn't sound too normal to me.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 30th November 2012 at 18:19.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 17:38   #426
Senior - BHPian

The brake feel is normal for those cars where there is no break booster. To ensure better braking get the disk and drum brake pads checked for glaze. A bit of sand paper on the friction material does wonders.

Another cause of bad braking may be the tyres. Some of the OEM tyres have a hard compound (to ensure longer life) and do not grip the road as well as Michelin & Bridgestone tyres.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 20:30   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you release the pedal the clutch does not disengage almost till it is 3/4 released. Then it suddenly engages giving a small jerk. This also happens when you shift in motion from 1st to 2nd..3rd.. 4th..etc. However, in my knowledge there is no slippage.
The difference you are feeling, perhaps is because of the change with your regular drive, the Polo. Being a car which has done only 6K kms and as there is no slippage I feel there is nothing to worry. Observe the behaviour for some time before getting any sort of repairs done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The brake feel is normal for those cars where there is no break booster. Another cause of bad braking may be the tyres. Some of the OEM tyres have a hard compound (to ensure longer life) and do not grip the road as well as Michelin & Bridgestone tyres.
Alto does have a brake booster.
Being only 6K Kms old tyres would be quite good enough, whatsoever be the make.

Last edited by rajeev k : 1st December 2012 at 20:48.
Old 1st December 2012, 21:55   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this normal with Maruti Alto or there is something wrong with clutch adjustment?
That is the normal position for the Alto clutch to engage. However there will be no jerks. Perhaps it jerks since you are not used to that clutch position. Let an Alto owner drive the car and he will be able to tell you for sure if there is anything wrong with it.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 18:09   #429
BHPian

Hi all!

I changed the wheels of my Alto FF and one of the bolts/studs has been broken.
So I need a new stud/bolt. Itīs a problem to get it here in Germany. I just got offers for the screw nuts but not for the bolts/studs. Could somebody provide the part number or maybe these bolds arenīt something special and used for other Suzuki cars also? e.g. Wagon R?
It just came in my mind that maybe my wheels are a bit different to the indian Alto. It has 13 inch with 4x100.

Regards
Frank

Last edited by DeOetelaar : 2nd December 2012 at 18:15.
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:25   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need some advice.

My previous cars were - 118 NE, Palio Diesel and I now own a Polo. Just two days back I have purchased a used Alto LXI - May 2011 regd. 6000 km run, for my wife and daughter.

When I first drove this car I realised a difference at clutch. When you release the pedal the clutch does not disengage almost till it is 3/4 released. Then it suddenly engages giving a small jerk. This also happens when you shift in motion from 1st to 2nd..3rd.. 4th..etc. However, in my knowledge there is no slippage.

Is this normal with Maruti Alto or there is something wrong with clutch adjustment? In polo the release is very gradual and there is no jerk when you shift and release. My experience with my previous cars was also same. Seasoned Alto users please advise.

Secondly, the brake pedal has wooden feel. The car does not slow down unless you press the pedal bit hard even at small speed of 20-30 kmph. Please advise on this issue also.

Thanks.
Clutch needs adjustment, Replacing the clutch cable and setting to your likings will solve all the problems.
Alto has this problem as the clutch cable is fitted to the underside, where muck and dirt will rust the cable from inside.

At 6000kms i am assuming , it has good and complete service history. So i am ignoring the brake wear, at so early.

What many people fail to ignore is brake fluid level, so when it goes down air will come in the brake lines.

SO just bleeding the brake will solve that problem.

I think total cost involved will be about 600 including cost of labor and clutch cable
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:32   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
Hi all!

I changed the wheels of my Alto FF and one of the bolts/studs has been broken.
So I need a new stud/bolt. Itīs a problem to get it here in Germany. I just got offers for the screw nuts but not for the bolts/studs. Could somebody provide the part number or maybe these bolds arenīt something special and used for other Suzuki cars also? e.g. Wagon R?
It just came in my mind that maybe my wheels are a bit different to the indian Alto. It has 13 inch with 4x100.

Regards
Frank
If the PCD is 100, then the bolt should not differ from the ones we get here even though our wheels are 12".

I will see if I can try and get a part number for you tomorrow.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:39   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What many people fail to ignore is brake fluid level, so when it goes down air will come in the brake lines.SO just bleeding the brake will solve that problem.
Air in the brake system can be diagnosed by a simple method. Pump the brake pedal and if the pedal resistance increases with each pumping you ought to bleed the air out.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:34   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Clutch needs adjustment, Replacing the clutch cable and setting to your likings will solve all the problems.
Alto has this problem as the clutch cable is fitted to the underside, where muck and dirt will rust the cable from inside.

At 6000kms i am assuming , it has good and complete service history. So i am ignoring the brake wear, at so early.

What many people fail to ignore is brake fluid level, so when it goes down air will come in the brake lines.

SO just bleeding the brake will solve that problem.

I think total cost involved will be about 600 including cost of labor and clutch cable
I tried adjustment of clutch a bit by tightening the screw clockwise 2-3 turns as suggested by @swarnava.m and there is some relief. I am not sure whether more tightening will lead to slippage to some extent.

Break fluid level is at 'max' at the moment. I will surely consult some mechanic on this issue.

thanks for all the help from everyone. I will keep you all posted of the developments.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:04   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried adjustment of clutch a bit by tightening the screw clockwise 2-3 turns as suggested by @swarnava.m and there is some relief. I am not sure whether more tightening will lead to slippage to some extent.
I tried to get the clutch position adjusted initially at two different MASS set ups. But at both places I was informed this was the default position for the Alto and adjusting it to bite early on will cause premature clutch wear, so I left it like that. After a while one gets used to it and it causes no discomfort or jerks.

Therefore exercise caution in this matter. Have it adjusted at a reputed A.S.S. and leave it at that.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd December 2012 at 12:06.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:03   #435
BHPian

Quote:

Break fluid level is at 'max' at the moment. I will surely consult some mechanic on this issue.

thanks for all the help from everyone. I will keep you all posted of the developments.
Yes, it may result in some premature clutch wear if you go overboard. My bad, forgot to mention it in the previous post. Sorry!

Don't over-do it!! As Gansan says, exercise caution in that matter. If you feel that a small adjustment has made some difference, that is all there is to it probably. With time you will get used to it.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks