Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2012, 20:54   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOetelaar View Post
Meanwhile I got the OBD scanner and itīs works really fine.
In the US, all cars have a common OBD protocol. Required by law. So that third parties can test/ diagnose/ repair your car for emission compliance. I think there is similar legislation in EU.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th February 2012, 00:01   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In the US, all cars have a common OBD protocol. Required by law. So that third parties can test/ diagnose/ repair your car for emission compliance. I think there is similar legislation in EU.

Regards
Sutripta

Yes, in the EU all cars from 2000 (petrol) and 2004 (diesel) should support OBD II. With all this EU rules itīs always chaos and so you hear from many sources that many scanners do not work with different cars (even newer ones). Who is faulty? The cheap scan tool or the car manufacturer?
The strange thing is that the problems appear mostly at diesel cars. Maybe they have too much high tech. Donīt know...

Cheers
DeO
Old 16th February 2012, 18:35   #288
BHPian

Hi, can anyone help me with the Alto Lxi trip meter. How do I set it to zero? This is to check the mileage
Old 16th February 2012, 19:40   #289
Senior - BHPian

Push the little knob next to the meter and hold down for a few seconds. It will re-set to zero.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:02   #290
BHPian

FUEL PUMP TYPE:
Does anyone have idea about the type of fuel pump used in the Alto? Is it a submersible type inside the tank or is it mounted outside?
The reason behind this query is that if its a submersible type, I need to maintain a certain level of fuel in the tank. As my car runs on CNG, I don't have more then 3-4 liters of fuel in the tank. I don't know whether the fuel pumps shuts off when the supply is switched to CNG but if it remains ON, wont the pump get damaged if the fuel level is too low!

I don't know but this thought just flashed in my mind. Guidance needed >>
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:09   #291
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
FUEL PUMP TYPE:
Does anyone have idea about the type of fuel pump used in the Alto? Is it a submersible type inside the tank or is it mounted outside?
It is located inside the fuel tank itself. Only the fuel filter is fitted as a bolt-on attachment outside. If you have 3-4 liters of fuel sloshing around inside the tank you are safe. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:14   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
It is located inside the fuel tank itself. Only the fuel filter is fitted as a bolt-on attachment outside. If you have 3-4 liters of fuel sloshing around inside the tank you are safe. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
gpa
Thanks gpa. So that means if the tank is dead empty the pump is going to get damaged for sure?
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:19   #293
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So that means if the tank is dead empty the pump is going to get damaged for sure?
Well, if you run on LPG/CNG you will be safe so long as you don't flip the switch to petrol. If you do, then with no fuel flowing to the pump, it will be damaged. Keep a min of 3-4 liters of petrol in your tank just to be on the safe side
Old 10th March 2012, 10:26   #294
BHPian

I've been facing this problem in my K10 LXi quite lately. Whenever I turn the steering to take a U or on a parking maneuver, I hear a kind of noise coming from the left side of the engine bay, a 'tak' sound for every one rotation of the steering. What is this sound due to? I'm afraid to find where is this sound coming from myself because that should involve turning the steering lock to lock while the car is stationary and have heard that that would reduce the life of EPS motor since it would have to give maximum power assist during that time. So experts, need your advice
Old 10th March 2012, 21:08   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I've been facing this problem in my K10 LXi quite lately. Whenever I turn the steering to take a U or on a parking maneuver, I hear a kind of noise coming from the left side of the engine bay, a 'tak' sound for every one rotation of the steering. What is this sound due to? I'm afraid to find where is this sound coming from myself because that should involve turning the steering lock to lock while the car is stationary and have heard that that would reduce the life of EPS motor since it would have to give maximum power assist during that time. So experts, need your advice
how much has your car clocked.?
is the sound continuous. (tak-tak). When does it come right or left turn?
Old 10th March 2012, 23:22   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
how much has your car clocked.?
is the sound continuous. (tak-tak). When does it come right or left turn?
Its 5300 on the odo. The tak-tak noise is not continuous. It goes like this- I turn, almost one rotation of the steering, tak, close to two rotations of the steering, tak, nearly three, again tak. Left or right, whenever I turn I hear this sound.
Old 11th March 2012, 00:20   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its 5300 on the odo. The tak-tak noise is not continuous. It goes like this- I turn, almost one rotation of the steering, tak, close to two rotations of the steering, tak, nearly three, again tak. Left or right, whenever I turn I hear this sound.
Are you also saying that the sound is coming both ways - left and right turn.?

I am ruling out the major suspect in this case, the drive shaft.

The car is practically new so i suppose its in warranty. So visit your nearest service center.

PS: did you bumped your car recently.
Old 11th March 2012, 09:58   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Are you also saying that the sound is coming both ways - left and right turn.?

I am ruling out the major suspect in this case, the drive shaft.

The car is practically new so i suppose its in warranty. So visit your nearest service center.

PS: did you bumped your car recently.
Yes yes, the sound is coming both ways. Yes, its still in warranty, will have to get it checked soon.

No, all my recent drives were decent and smooth. The sound has come out of the blue. BTW, thanks for the prompt reply SirAlec
Old 11th March 2012, 12:12   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it is from the engine bay? Try turning the indicator and turning the wheel. Do you still hear that sound from the bay apart from the 'tak' sound coming from the turn-off actuator of the indicator stalk?
Old 12th March 2012, 13:12   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it is from the engine bay? Try turning the indicator and turning the wheel. Do you still hear that sound from the bay apart from the 'tak' sound coming from the turn-off actuator of the indicator stalk?
Yes it is! In fact, it is the solid metal 'tak' coming from some component on the engine bay and not the indicator stalk! Scared that this will ruin my steering system, will be checking it at MASS soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks