Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 17:23   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Correctly brought out!
I believe Accent Viva has a viper on the rear and it has a short boot.
If it does have a *Viper* on the rear, then owners should make sure they carry some anti-venom in their first aid kit.
Old 22nd March 2008, 18:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If it does have a *Viper* on the rear, then owners should make sure they carry some anti-venom in their first aid kit.

Absolutely hilarious. Well spotted.
Old 22nd March 2008, 18:16   #33
BANNED

How about doing these 3 steps in rain?
1. Turn on Demister/Defogger
2. Switch AC in non-recirculation mode
3. Adjust Temperature to a comfortable setting .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
But i personally feel, the rear wipe is needed in saloons, not for the dust cleanin purposes as stated above, but for reversing in the rain.
Thats a quick eye you have got, carboy, cheers:.
Quote:
Old 22nd March 2008, 19:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Correction: a fully loaded octi HAD one!! Only the first few batches of the elegance/L&K had them, then they were discontinued.

But i personally feel, the rear wipe is needed in saloons, not for the dust cleanin purposes as stated above, but for reversing in the rain. Especially with the kind of rain that we have here, its almost impossible to see anything when through the rear windscreen of a car. And since a saloon has a slanted rear glass, more water is always present when compared to a hatch.
reversing in rain is a pain. is it omitted because of better "looks"? can't be cost cutting?
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:01   #35
BHPian

Noticed a similar thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-presence.html

Did not find it during the search I made earlier. It popped up on the 'similar threads' list. Guess this needs to be merged with the older one.

Wonder why 'search' did not pick it up yesterday.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Generally on sedans the wiper arrangement would foul with the opening of the trunk lid. For cars like Viva or the Octavia (even 309), the boot opening is thru a hatch instead of a bootlid, which allows for the wiper arrangement being feasible on those cars. Even Estates have them.

To have wipers on Sedans one has to have a shorter boot opening which will definitely cause more functional inconvenience.

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd March 2008 at 22:09.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Generally on sedans the wiper arrangement would foul with the opening of the trunk lid. For cars like Viva or the Octavia (even 309), the boot opening is thru a hatch instead of a bootlid, which allows for the wiper arrangement being feasible on those cars. Even Estates have them.

To have wipers on Sedans one has to have a shorter boot opening which will definitely cause more functional inconvenience.
This sounds to be the most convincing and perfect explanation.
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Even the TATA Sumo features lists it as 'viper!'

TATA Motors - Utility Vehicles
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:

OOOPS!! That is a typo.
Request pardon otherwise The Viper gets me!
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:

This seems like a more technical reason than dust and scum on rear window. Did Baleno VXI have one too ?
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
This seems like a more technical reason than dust and scum on rear window. Did Baleno VXI have one too ?
I don't think it will be too difficult to have a rear wiper on a car with boot if such an inclusion is made during the design stage of the vehicle. And to make such a decision during the design stage the designers and the engineers should be convinced of the need to have a rear wash & wipe in the first place on a sedan with boot.
Old 23rd March 2008, 01:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Noticed a similar thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-presence.html

Did not find it during the search I made earlier. It popped up on the 'similar threads' list. Guess this needs to be merged with the older one.

Wonder why 'search' did not pick it up yesterday.
Thanks. Threads Merged.

Quote:

I dont entirely agree with that reason 1100D, it wouldnt be hard to incorporate it in the design.

I think most people are on the right track here by saying :
1. Cost cutting is preventing it from showing up on ALL cars.
2. The vaccuum/drag created by cars at higher speeds pulls dirt onto the rear windshield in the case of flatbacks. For sedans - the presence of the boot prevents the muck from getting all the way to the windshield.
3. As Mpower mentioned, its a requirement by law (for flatbacks) in some countries.

cya
R
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:24   #43
BHPian

its needed more on a sedan than hatchback.

IMHO there must be a bigger reason, is it not more difficult to reverse a sedan in rain than a hatchback ? Infact I got stuck for lack of visibility once on the shoulder of a newly laid gravel road at mid night .
Old 12th August 2009, 17:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

i was wondering. would something like , say, a spoiler help with the airflow and reduce dust ?
Old 9th October 2009, 12:18   #45
BANNED

Rear Wiper & Washer ? Why only on hatch backs and NOT on sedans?

Almost all hatchbacks and SUVs have them but I am yet to see a sedan with a rear wash/wipe. Not even upper end sedans like Mercs, BMWs, Jags. In fact, I have not seen a single sedan of any make of any nation have a rear wash/wipe. Is there a reason for it?

Team-BHP Support
Please search before creating a new thread.
Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 9th October 2009 at 12:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks