Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 18:50   #1
BHPian

Wash/wipe spray query

I have been advised by people that I should mix some detergent or shampoo in the water that is used to spray on the windshield to clean it while driving. Is it a good idea?
Old 30th July 2009, 19:06   #2
BHPian

It's true. I have used couple of times. Again, nothing official but I was told not to use detergent as it may spoil your paint as some of drops be there on your car's painted parts and once dried, only detergent will be there. In case of shampoo it's mild .

It cleans nice, but I stopped using it as I needed to do service as later fluid was not coming out from the nozzel properly. I am not sure as it happened because of shampoo. Gurus, give light on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I have been advised by people that I should mix some detergent or shampoo in the water that is used to spray on the windshield to clean it while driving. Is it a good idea?
Old 30th July 2009, 20:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
....detergent or shampoo in the water that is used to spray on the windshield .....
Detergent is certainly a no-no. I would be wary of using shampoo because of long term effects on the paint esp near the nozzles. I use the Sonax windscreen wash concentrate and am quite happy with it.
BTW, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was something to do with a certain bathroom ritual. The wash vs wipe debate if you know what I'm talking about
Old 30th July 2009, 20:23   #4
BHPian

Stick to windscreen cleaner pouches used by MASS & other service stations.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I use a 1/2 capful of my Amway Car Shampoo in a full tank of water. Has worked very well for me for 2 years now.
Old 30th July 2009, 21:51   #6
BHPian

I mix a capfull of shampoo when I top up. I take the shampoo in a 2L bottle and fill the rest with water. Mix well, and pour into the reservoir.

Never faced any problems so far.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:07   #7
BANNED

Waxpol and Wurth sell some liquids to put in the water. Quite good. I think MASS uses the Waxpol one.
Old 30th July 2009, 22:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I think MASS uses the Waxpol one.
The stuff inside the packets that the MASS sells is exactly similar to the MGA Car shampoo that they sell in the bottle At least to look at and smell !

I just mix a cap of the MGA shampoo in the windshield washer reservoir.
Old 31st July 2009, 00:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Use any hair shampoo or liquid soap and mix it with water in your water container. premix in a bucket and then only pour into the container.

use 2 cap fulls for a powerfull clean and wipe!
Old 31st July 2009, 00:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

I use the MASS pouches. Just pour in the packet and then fill with a bottle of clean tap water. I'm not sure why, but If I remember correct, the directions are to pour the sachet in first and then pour the water. Hope it mixes well that way.

They do a good job. Detergents are definitely out... shampoos and other stuff is also dicy. Why use all that when you can use whats ment for the purpose?
Old 31st July 2009, 09:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I use a 1/2 capful of my Amway Car Shampoo in a full tank of water. Has worked very well for me for 2 years now.
Try Zoom/See spray from Amway for the same purpose. It is mainly for glass cleaning. It has yielded good results.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:25   #12
BHPian

Tata manuals advise against adding any additives in the wiper tank - they don't say why.
Old 31st July 2009, 09:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

i use the wurth , small bottles that are available at shell pump in both chennai and bangalore. These things help wipe off the oil and other slimy residue the other vehicles spray throws on you windscreen. They are a lifesaver when you are on long drives and the heavens open up ...especially during the nights
Old 31st July 2009, 10:08   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I use the small bottles of Wurth windscreen wash concentrate that I pick up from Spar. One bottle is good for the tank of water and it works brilliantly. Was driving last evening in a steady drizzle on the ring road and the constant muddly spray from trucks gets washed of really well.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:24   #15
BHPian

Plain water has always worked well enough for me (in over 1L Km's of driving).

Never felt the need to add any wash concentrate - even though they are freely available at my petrol bunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks