Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 12:05   #421
BHPian

Persisting problem with Fiat Punto Door lock

i have fiat punto multijet dynamic 2012(comes with factory fitted remote locking).
i have a peculier problem with my door lock(rear left door).About 2 months back, the door lock had issue , it never locks(by manually or by remote). So i have replaced the lock set.
Everything was fine untill last week. the issue reoccured. but this time for a certain period of time. Park the car outside (under the sun), when i start the car it shows, the left rear door is not locked(symbol displays in the dash). now it wont lock(manual or auto). leave it for half an hour it works fine.

i'm regularly servicing the car from Vecto(prerana before) motors. today i met the service manager, he mentioned they have replaced the lock for rear left door 3 times. when i gave my car for service, they found dome problem with lock and they replaced it(in this one it is reported by me for replacing the lock). now i have left the car with them for 2 days they were not able to find the cause why it is happening.

is there anybody facing the same issue?(i mean repeatedly)

Last edited by tht'snotME : 21st November 2013 at 12:06. Reason: adding more info
tht'snotME is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st November 2013, 12:40   #422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Persisting problem with Fiat Punto Door lock

I don't think heat (parked under sun) has anything to do with this. Besides you say that the lock has been replaced thrice by the service advisor.
It is possible the lever assembly inside the door is faulty and not the locking pin itself. Have that checked - preferably at an FNG.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 12:44   #423
BHPian

The Zen I used to have had problems with a rear door lock. It used to be tough to lock/unlock even manually and had to change the actuators for central lock a couple of times. The root cause was lack of lubrication on the mechanical arms which was in turn putting load of the actuator and thus burning it out.
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 12:52   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
i have fiat punto multijet dynamic 2012(comes with factory fitted remote locking).
i have a peculier problem with my door lock(rear left door).About 2 months back, the door lock had issue , it never locks(by manually or by remote). So i have replaced the lock set.
Everything was fine untill last week. the issue reoccured. but this time for a certain period of time. Park the car outside (under the sun), when i start the car it shows, the left rear door is not locked(symbol displays in the dash). now it wont lock(manual or auto). leave it for half an hour it works fine.

i'm regularly servicing the car from Vecto(prerana before) motors. today i met the service manager, he mentioned they have replaced the lock for rear left door 3 times. when i gave my car for service, they found dome problem with lock and they replaced it(in this one it is reported by me for replacing the lock). now i have left the car with them for 2 days they were not able to find the cause why it is happening.

I faced the exact same problem on my Linea. At 14,000 kms, the problem arose for the first time. Got the lock set replaced under warranty.

At 25,000 kms, the problem came up again. Again, got the lock set replaced under warranty.

This is not happening because of the parking under the sun issue that you mention. I am sure about it.

At both times when I got the locks replaced, the Service Center did not have a diagnosis of why this was happening.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 12:53   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post

Warning comes up only when door is left open.
Lock has nothing to do with MID warning.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:57   #426
BHPian

Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I had the same issue, is it necessary to dis assemble the front dashboard to fix the o ring issue, i had this o ring issue 2 months after delivery. Now i feel (since last several months) when going on rough patches, rattling noise emanating from the left hand side Dashboard. Could that be a possible issue of dis assembling/re assembling the dash caused this rattle ?

Can the Dashboard rattle be arrested ?
Apologies for the late reply. Yes, it is necessary to dis-assemble the dashboard as there is a O-ring just beneath the it. The rattle might mostly be due to the re-assembly of the dashboard. It can be rectified but must be done under supervision. Usually the F.A.S.S guys make the rattle a wee bit louder.
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:10   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Now i feel (since last several months) when going on rough patches, rattling noise emanating from the left hand side Dashboard. Could that be a possible issue of dis assembling/re assembling the dash caused this rattle ?

Can the Dashboard rattle be arrested ?
Is this noise audible only at low speeds (less than 20 KMPH)? I faced a weird rattling noise in my Linea that seemed to origin from left and behind the dash-board. FASS checked everything from AC pipes to suspension parts, and it was finally diagnosed as loose front left fog-lamp.

Details are in post # 109 and 120 of my ownership thread.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:24   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Is this noise audible only at low speeds (less than 20 KMPH)?
Decided and gave vehicle for General checkups and for niggles. The Bill was 4600 and odd.

Works done:(Service Station RAMKAY FIAT, Chennai).

1. Door Rattling check/correction, door knobs springs tension corrected, interior cleaning, engine bay cleaning, general fluids check up , check up of brake linings, disk brake setup health, and wiring check for any breakage due to mouse/rat menace, broken rear wiper replaced, motor care anti rat menace fluid sprayed in the engine bay to ward off mouse attacks, dashboard rattles corrected. Interior Cleaning was charged at 1500 rupees, including, water service, vaccuming and shampoo wash and sealing.

During check ups, upon inspection, it was found the front, right hand side Wheel Bearing had busted and was replaced on Warranty, not sure about part number but the kit as per the SA costs 2.7 approx.

Question: Can a wheel bearing bust at as low as 17,000km on the odo ?

Feedback: The SA guy was hell bent in pushing me for a underbody coat by WURTH and upon questioning further had nothing much to say and was be rating the factory coats claiming them to be not worthy as compared to after market. He quoted rs. 3800 for the same.

The door clank has re appeared once again, as the reinforcing beam attached to the door with a weld has broken once agiain. Looks like i will never get the factory fitted door sound ever again for my right door.

Driving Experience: The Car breathes, better, accelarates better and drives smooth and overall feels well screwed and tight sans the painful door clank and the broken weather strip which was not available in stock.

Can someone confirm on whether the above pricing done by RAMKAY are reasonable.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 28th November 2013 at 18:30.
Old 5th December 2013, 14:39   #429
BHPian

Punto self-test indicator glowing

I've noticed that the self-test indicator in the instruments panel of my Punto has been glowing intermittently for the past few weeks.

I consulted the manual and all it says is this:

Indicates that the the system is performing a self-testfor instance, for a voltage drop. If the indicator persists, contact the Fiat dealer.

Does anyone know more about this indicator? I noticed that the indicator comes up mostly when I cold-start the car and disappears if I turn off the car and turn it back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-idling_indicator.jpg  

Old 5th December 2013, 15:19   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Punto self-test indicator glowing

Iam not sure what it exactly means in Punto dashboard. But for Maruti vehicles that icon points towards Immobilizer system.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:28   #431
BHPian

How old is the battery? The same sign used to glow in my T-jet's MID along with "Airbag Failure" alarm. The culprit was battery and it was changed under warranty.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:52   #432
Senior - BHPian

It should be related to battery, get the battery voltage checked before the cold start and after the end of daily run. If the battery is getting drained, then either the issue must be with the battery itself or other electricals. A visit to FASS might be required then.

Its not a self test indicator but an indicator showing that the Car protection system failure which mean that the car's immobilizer is not functioning. If the indicators stays on for long, visit FASS.

Last edited by ghodlur : 5th December 2013 at 15:55.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:16   #433
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians, I need help on an issue which has been discussed in this thread, first on pg no 217/8 and then on pg 404 briefly but not enough to arrive at logical conclusion. This is regarding padlock signal coming on and car not starting many a times despite taking full cranking (assuming this is what it is called).

My Emotion is 16/8/11 and has done 58k (and 90% of it is city driving). Preponed (sorry for manufactured English) my 60k service to 57k to take care of various issues including warranty replacement of 2 glow-plugs (which might be linked to issue under discussion), a very tight clutch, gear stick movement obstructed etc.

For last one month I have been getting to see this 'padlock-on-car' signal as well as 'check glow plugs' (taken care of). I kept ignoring them to take care at next service but one fine day err, night (9 pm), the car refused to start post a diesel refill. A local mechanic tried his best at 'de-airing fuel filter' and I googled to figure out it was immobiliser related, and then it started after a while. I took it for inspection next day to Kashyap at Okhla (with Gurgaon ones closed and pics of Torque posted somewhere online scaring me) wherein he told me it would most likely be battery related.

I told him that the battery has been cranking the car for multiple rounds (initially I let 5-6 rounds go through and then realising I should not try more than 2) and might actually turn weak because of this. Post that I gave the car for servicing and then another time too for glow-plug replacement but they did not take care of this issue saying its most likely die to poor battery. Last week it stopped at a dairy near my house and didn't start even after almost 25 attempts when I got down, went home, brought spare key which started it in one go and I thought my earlier key has gone bad. But, 2 days back, both keys together failed too, proving me wrong.

I have seen advises on poor battery here as well as on another site (TFI) saying it owes to poor battery which I find tough to believe but if it is solving problem then that it is. a show of hands might help prove it fastest followed by gentle words of rational wisdom which is the hallmark of TBHP.

I might sound a mean person here, being more than 2 years old with almost no posts but that's because of succumbing to professional pressures and blocking of site at office by IT admin. Hoping to enjoy the forum more going forward. Would love to share good and some not so good experiences of my MJD too. Cheers!
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:32   #434
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you go to a local battery shop, give your battery for charging and use a service battery for a day or two? That way you can rule out battery issue.

I would suggest running a scan of ecu to see if there are any error codes that has been recorded, which can give you some clue.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:53   #435
BHPian

Thanks Dear Jaggu. Will try doing both.

And as I requested, would lie to hear from people who faced it and got it resolved.

Just realised that I posted the post on a different thread than the one intended to.

Dear Mods: Will posting it on the other thread be alright now? I am referring to the 400+ pages thread "Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review" which I intended to post to as can be seen in my starting para.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks