Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 18:08   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

How do you know the strut pads need replacement? I've got 2 punto EPs with 23K and 63K on the odo and have not replaced the struts
Old 27th November 2012, 18:26   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
How do you know the strut pads need replacement? I've got 2 punto EPs with 23K and 63K on the odo and have not replaced the struts
In my case,they started making a grinding noise when steering was turned at low speeds or at idle,this was in a Linea,punto has a similar set up i believe.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 20:38   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
In my case,they started making a grinding noise when steering was turned at low speeds or at idle,this was in a Linea,punto has a similar set up i believe.
Ok - You sure it was not the PS pump? Usually the PS pump makes such sounds at idle which would disappear when RPM increased.
Old 27th November 2012, 20:42   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok - You sure it was not the PS pump? Usually the PS pump makes such sounds at idle which would disappear when RPM increased.
Nope,i got the strut\shocker pads replaced and noise vanished.
Also now the strut pads come with rubber caps,and a new improved design.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 21:24   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The service engineers confirmed this twice, so it has to be strut pads, and the noise described is the same. Its like clung-clung when you turn the steering, and over time, the steering gets harder. So far no update on the strut pads, but on a different note, the speedo stopped working at >32000kms. They just informed that the parts aren't available, and will get to know more tomorrow. However, he mentioned that the speedo sensor and something else needs to be replaced and quotes 5K Rupees for that!

Is this true? Or is he trying to rip me off because I made a fuss about Strut pad warranty? Anyone else have a speedo issue?
ahwajid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 16:37   #411
BHPian

Didn't hear anything from Mangesh.Kodalkar, I've asked them to send the car back without any actions. Scheduled a service with KHT next week, hopefully they will do this under warranty. The service technician from KHT says that they will have to check with United insurance, and then if it is covered by them, the replacement of strut pads will be done within warranty. Will need to wait and watch. Is it normal for the speedo to break in 32k kms?
Old 28th November 2012, 17:15   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid
Didn't hear anything from Mangesh.Kodalkar, I've asked them to send the car back without any actions. Scheduled a service with KHT next week, hopefully they will do this under warranty. The service technician from KHT says that they will have to check with United insurance, and then if it is covered by them, the replacement of strut pads will be done within warranty. Will need to wait and watch. Is it normal for the speedo to break in 32k kms?
Punto's suspension comes with a warranty of 35,000 kms & they are bound to replace it under warranty. I don't think that United India Insurance will cover it. They are the worst to honor claims as I've experienced their service first hand.

Speedometer going kaput isn't normal. They will replace it under warranty though. This is the first time I'm hearing about the speedo failure in a punto. IMHO Fiat honors warranty & they replace it with new parts, no questions asked.
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 19:20   #413
BHPian

Will have to wait and watch what happens, next Wednesday. meanwhile, I'll drop an update to FIAT. I will keep you'll posed on the outcome. Many Thanks.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:04   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M
Guys,

The AC of my 90HP has gone kaput. I took it to TASS on Saturday & they told me that there must be a leak, as the gas is empty. I was short on time, so couldn't leave my car there. Will take it on Monday to TASS. I will update once I'm done with it.
I took my Punto 90HP for AC repair on 27/11/12. The AC gas had completely drained off. The lines in the engine bay were checked & everything seemed to be fine.
The SA called me up on 28/11/12 saying that the dashboard had to be opened since it was a running leakage. I was very skeptical about this as I didn't want to visit the TASS often to rectify squeaks/rattles. I was assured by the CRM & told them that I would oversee the work personally.
The front doors were removed & so was the dashboard. The culprit here was the infamous O-ring issue. The expansion valve O-ring was replaced.
*Sealing gasket, part no.:0010852383
*Pin beige, part no.:0059064646
*SP-10 Compressor oil sanden
*AC gas re-filling done.
*Compressor oil ND-8 oil.

All the above jobs were done under warranty, including AC gas re-filling. After 3 days of hard work, the bill was only 80 bucks :-)

Had taken my Punto yesterday on a long drive of 270 kms & the AC is an absolute chiller now. Very happy as of now. Will reserve the verdict till I log more miles.
Rufus_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 14:17   #415
BHPian

The car has been with KHT motors for a week for strut pad replacement. And today, I get a call that the Extended warranty claim has been rejected and I will have to pay for the strut pads. I have emailed Mr. Mangesh, but the only response I get is that I will hear back from region. Its been more than a week, and I havent heard anything. Any body can provide any contact details about who can provide further action? Or should I just go ahead, pay for it and then pursue this further later?
Old 13th December 2012, 15:19   #416
BHPian

I was just informed that the strut pad replacement has been denied by Extended Warranty and that FIAT is paying about 2k on good will for this. I do not understand, how the Extended warranty clause keeps changing for user to user.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:36   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
I was just informed that the strut pad replacement has been denied by Extended Warranty and that FIAT is paying about 2k on good will for this. I do not understand, how the Extended warranty clause keeps changing for user to user.
Thanks for providing the update here.
Even I had replaced the strut pad (elastic pad) during my 4th service (done at 29k km 2 weeks back). I had asked about Extended warranty and was updated that nowadays it is not honoured and gets rejected at the SC level itself. Was surprised how EW terms could change with earlier owners too. I can well understand if the EW terms are different for newly sold cars, but terms otherwise changing is not heard of.
For me the link rods also were seen in a 'torn' condition, so replacement is going to happen. But since spares were not available there(in TAFE Chennai) it is postponed. So also the left front strut while refitting, was found with an issue and hence will be changed. again spare not available. :-(
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 15:49   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Thanks for providing the update here.
Even I had replaced the strut pad (elastic pad) during my 4th service (done at 29k km 2 weeks back). I had asked about Extended warranty and was updated that nowadays it is not honoured and gets rejected at the SC level itself. Was surprised how EW terms could change with earlier owners too. I can well understand if the EW terms are different for newly sold cars, but terms otherwise changing is not heard of.
For me the link rods also were seen in a 'torn' condition, so replacement is going to happen. But since spares were not available there(in TAFE Chennai) it is postponed. So also the left front strut while refitting, was found with an issue and hence will be changed. again spare not available. :-(
I guess they've had too many claims and hence have decided not to honor this anymore. EW terms shouldn't change, because, when we purchase the EW, we agree on certain Terms and conditions, and I don't think that this can be subjective. For now, I am going to pay for this, and get this over with. I need to travel tomorrow and this is an issue for me. Once I am back, I'll probably have to take the legal way with the Consumer court. Any pointers on how to go about legal action? Also, never regretted the decision of buying a FIAT so far, never thought it could go that bad. But with this incident, and looking at the nonavailability of parts, I deeply regret the decision to go with a FIAT.

Last edited by ahwajid : 13th December 2012 at 15:51. Reason: editing of text
Old 24th December 2012, 19:08   #419
BHPian

Update: The mounting pads were rejected by the Extended warranty, and were replaced at cost. However, FIAT paid 2500 INR as good will, and the final bill to me was for around Rs 500 odd. Surprisingly, when asked how the price has come down from around 10k to 3k+, the service advisor informed that the prices for these parts were reduced a few days ago. Also, turns out that the Concorde service center lied about the speedo sensor dying. Its just a worm that needs replacement (awaiting for the part to come to get that replaced). Overall, I am happy with the outcome and I think that going forward the strut pads/mounting pads will not be covered under warranty.
ahwajid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 12:40   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
All the above jobs were done under warranty, including AC gas re-filling. After 3 days of hard work, the bill was only 80 bucks :-)
I had the same issue, is it necessary to dis assemble the front dashboard to fix the o ring issue, i had this o ring issue 2 months after delivery. Now i feel (since last several months) when going on rough patches, rattling noise emanating from the left hand side Dashboard. Could that be a possible issue of dis assembling/re assembling the dash caused this rattle ?

Can the Dashboard rattle be arrested ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks