Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:33   #301
BHPian

Re: Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto

Just noticed yesterday that, after a drive for a good 45-60 mins. The gear shift just becomes very rough. In neutral, normally, the gear lever returns to center position if pushed to right or left, but after 40mins drive, the gear just doesn't return to center, and takes a lot more effort to switch between gears. They've changed the gear cable saying that could be the problem. Could it be gear oil?
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:01   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomhk View Post
I thought I got it fixed. Still the same situation. Lock not working still. Seems lot of possibilities. Wire cut, Solenoid not working etc. Going to Service Center tomorrow. Hope they get it right under warranty tomorrow itself. Have to install Dynamat this weekend. So if not tomorrow they gonna blame it on the installation.
In my case it was a cable which had gone loose or come out (I don't remember now). The guy opened the door cladding and fixed it back. And it was working.

However Punto locks are known to be a problematic.

Right now I am battling with a creak coming somewhere from the rear.
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:52   #303
BHPian

@ahwajid
Sorry to hear your issues with GP.

I had similar problem, the gear didnt budge from 5th to either 4th or to 3rd.

I told the workshop guys and I guess they did some adjustment to the cable and it got alright. After that I didnt get much chance to drive it as I had to travel for my work.

But to seriously tell you I am fed up with the issues I am having in my Punto.

1. The gear doesnt budge from 5th to either 4th or to 3rd. Seems to be fixed by adjusting the cable. But I now feel there is more play in gear lever when it is in neutral. Have to drive more to figure it out.
2. The rear wiper doesnt work, at first they told the motor is bad, it took them 3 weeks to get the motor. Once the motor was fitted they diagonized that the motor is not the the problem . It then took them three days to figure out that the rear wiper switch on the stalk is defective. The whole stalks need to be replaced and god knows when that will be available.
3. I now see rust in my front passenger door.

I am not sure what other problems the punto may be having. But this is not at all accepted in a 2 year old car.

My OHC was a gem and I am actually now missing her.

PK
Old 20th September 2011, 22:31   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
In my case it was a cable which had gone loose or come out (I don't remember now). The guy opened the door cladding and fixed it back. And it was working.

However Punto locks are known to be a problematic.

Right now I am battling with a creak coming somewhere from the rear.
Well it seems that we finally nailed it.
The creak was coming from the rear. There is a place where the wheel arch meets the boot floor. The creak was due to the flexing of the sheets against each other whenever the tyres went over uneven surfaces. Seems that some other car owners also have reported it. FIAT recently has sent some water based sealant to all the A.S.S.. Also the SA's have been educated about the suspect points where the sealant should be applied.

Mine was a particularly difficult one to diagnose as SA said it was not coming from any of the regular suspect points. In his words they had to make someone sit in boot (while car was getting driven around) to locate it.

Now when I look back there does seem to be one point. This sound started when I shifted house. The place where I stay now has a ramp. And I used to take the car up from an angle. Maybe the chassis was under some stress there which might have brought the problem up.

So if your Punto is of Mar 2010 or before make do try to take it straight up the ramp to save on bother.

So is my problem solved? Time will tell. I will keep updating.
Illustration:
Some quality niggles & Issues in Fiat Punto-try1.jpg
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 16:45   #305
BHPian

Dear NCR GP Owners:

Do you know if Elegant Motors has closed its shop or not. Today I was speaking to some one and he mentioned that Elegant Motors closed its service center 2 months back.

Thanks in advance.

-PK
Old 5th October 2011, 17:09   #306
BHPian

You heard right, pk_del. Elegant has closed down, the staff including Mr. Sharma have moved to HIM Motors. You can read architect's post regarding the same.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...00-kms-20.html
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 17:47   #307
BHPian

Thank you Sukrit. Elegant motors was one of the best workshops of FIAT cars.

I have to go back to Him motors again to service my car. What is happening to FIAT.

-PK
Old 5th October 2011, 18:32   #308
BHPian

You could try Oberoi Motors, Noida. I'm satisfied with them and their workshop is HUGE. It gives you a good feeling!
Old 9th January 2012, 14:16   #309
Senior - BHPian

Off late I am hearing dull grinding noise when turning the steering.
Like "stretched metal springs getting plucked" kind of sound.
Any ideas?
Old 12th January 2012, 19:31   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Off late I am hearing dull grinding noise when turning the steering.
Like "stretched metal springs getting plucked" kind of sound.
Any ideas?

download2live,

In all probability you need to change the Strut Elastic Pads on your car. Many owners got the part replaced under warranty and I had to spent 6k!!

For your info, the part is in fact covered under extended warranty but only upto 35,000 kms. Even having known that fact, we insisted Marina Motors, Calicut to claim extended warranty. But FIAT India have declined the claim as our car has ~ 42.xx kms on the odo.

So, better change your elastic pads quickly, under the warranty.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 12:50   #311
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a lot of rattling in my car. I have tried giving my car to the A.S.S. more than once but it has been of no help. So I thought of doing some DIY & need some pointers from you guys. The rattling occurs only on rough or wavy surfaces.

1) The bigger sound is coming from the rear. I thought its the aftermarket parcel tray. Its an MDF tray. My car has an aftermarket ICE. Then i thought its the warning triangle. I cant seem to understand where the sound is coming from.

2) A slight grrrrrr sound coming from inside the dashboard.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:27   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
1) The bigger sound is coming from the rear. I thought its the aftermarket parcel tray. Its an MDF tray. My car has an aftermarket ICE. Then i thought its the warning triangle. I cant seem to understand where the sound is coming from.
Raj,
A suggestion, first of all unfold your rear seat totally and then check the socket of the seat where it fits in the plug when we fold seat back. There is a rubber covering on the hook which basically kills the rattles produced by the seat. Also, one more thing to check is the socket where the recline seat fixes when pulled back, I had a rattle there, just took take a small cloth or a small bunch of tissues and cover the clamp with the tissue paper and then jar back the seat.

I hope you atleast sort out this rattle from the rear.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 21:00   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Raj,
A suggestion, first of all unfold your rear seat totally and then check the socket of the seat where it fits in the plug when we fold seat back. There is a rubber covering on the hook which basically kills the rattles produced by the seat. Also, one more thing to check is the socket where the recline seat fixes when pulled back, I had a rattle there, just took take a small cloth or a small bunch of tissues and cover the clamp with the tissue paper and then jar back the seat.

I hope you atleast sort out this rattle from the rear.
Thanks a lot. I will do this tomorrow itself & update regarding this.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:06   #314
BHPian

One more niggle that I would like to point out: actually I have seen the same problem reported from 3 Punto 2012 delivered in the last few weeks. One is mine, the other is in my locality and the third, from someone else's experience posted on this forum. It is the intermittent "check number plate light" issue. I tried to check if it was a loose connection, by removing the lens assembly as described in the manual, but, I was unable to open it. So, will leave it for the first service. What do our other 2012 Punto owners have to say about this?
Old 18th March 2012, 18:23   #315
BHPian

I took delivery of my active MJD 2012 pinto on 31st January. I too had that number plate warning light which the service guys rectified. But it came back within a few km of driving. From then it keeps coming and going by itself left the issue till the first service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks