Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2005, 18:53   #1
BHPian

Fail-proof Parallel Parking...

Awright.... Even though most of us would definitely hate to admit this, but isn't parallel parking a pain in the neck

My friend was learning to drive and I went along for the ride with her and the instructor, and he gave her some simple steps to follow for parallel parking. I've been using them for a while and this never fails...
These are for the US, but ofcourse you can reverse this for our left side driving...

Now say you have a car ahead and one behind the parking spot you intend to occupy (on the right side of the road)...

1) Get your car exactly parallel and three feet to the side of the car in front of your parking spot(the rear bumpers of your car and the parked car should be in a line).

2) Shift to reverse

3) Turn your steering all the way to the right

4) Start moving in reverse and continue to do so until you see the right headlight of the car behind your spot in your left rear-view mirror.

5) At this point stop and straighten out your steering wheel

6) Continue going into reverse in a straight line until your left front wheel is in line with the outer edge of the parking lane (if its not marked you can always visualize)

7) Now turn your steering wheel all the way to the left

8) Keep moving in reverse

9) Voila - at this point you are perfectly alligned.

Not that I couldn't park in parallel before I learnt this, but it has made it a lot simpler. Hope this helps.
Vivek is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2005, 01:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey dude thanx a lot.
hahaha i actually went and tried this out and its pretty good.its an excellent tip for beginners who have just started driving and find parking a problem.

rev
Old 11th June 2005, 11:40   #3
BHPian

Nice Vivek..thanks a lot dude..gonna try it out..and yeah..seriously,parallel parking is a pain in the a**.
Well,just thought of typing in the Indian car setting for parallel parking- (your same post,but modified according to Indian right drivers side type of setting).

Now say you have a car ahead and one behind the parking spot you intend to occupy (on the left side of the road)...

1) Get your car exactly parallel and three feet to the side of the car in front of your parking spot(the rear bumpers of your car and the parked car should be in a line).

2) Shift to reverse

3) Turn your steering all the way to the left.

4) Start moving in reverse and continue to do so until you see the left headlight of the car behind your spot in your right rear-view mirror.

5) At this point stop and straighten out your steering wheel

6) Continue going into reverse in a straight line until your right front wheel is in line with the outer edge of the parking lane (if its not marked you can always visualize)

7) Now turn your steering wheel all the way to the right.

8) Keep moving in reverse

9) Voila - at this point you are perfectly alligned.
srasania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2005, 14:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Parallel Parking should be a mandatory test in our licensing process, but then thats an utopian dream since the only thing you're expected to know before a license is issued is how to use the horn...
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2005, 19:46   #5
BHPian

Thanks all for the kind words..... And thanks to you srasania for modifying this.

@Steeroid: I agree completely. Over here, as most of you would know, they always have you drive on the Freeway , In the City, In a residential area etc... and yup, you have to park in parallel and do some other stuff even before you can hit the road for the test. Wish our Indian tests were as stiff. Heck, I never even had to take a test for my Indian License.
Old 11th June 2005, 20:15   #6
BHPian

Same here Vivek..I didn't have to take a test,even though I went to RTO,Tardeo..!..this was like 4 years back..but I guess things have changed "a little"..they atleast make everyone sit behind the wheel now,and tell them to drive in the RTO complex only..it's like driving around 1/4th km,and that's it !..my sister had to do this recently in Jan..even she went through same Driving School,where I had enrolled..

Suraj
Old 28th April 2006, 16:35   #7
BHPian

Parallel parking : How good are you

Check out this site where you can test your parallel parking on your PC

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pparkgame.html

Please search before starting a new thread. Thread merged.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th April 2006 at 16:58.
Old 28th April 2006, 17:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Parallel Parking should be a mandatory test in our licensing process, but then thats an utopian dream since the only thing you're expected to know before a license is issued is how to use the horn...
Sorry for replying to an old post but thought it might be worth sharing a piece of information...

Our Indian Licensing process DOES require some complex tests to be passed... atleast in the law, though they are never enforced. One such test is to take a "S" bend without crossing the median line and do the same in reverse on a car.... all this with proper hand signals. My Dad had to do this and some "inclination driving" tests when he got his license. Probably explains why the driving scene was a lot better 20 yrs ago.... (yea, the number of cars were a lot lesser.. but still, the drivers were civilised, to say the least).

Hope all these rules get updated/enforced now...

Last edited by quicksilver : 28th April 2006 at 17:17.
quicksilver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2006, 03:53   #9
BHPian

hey guys , this is something i learnt from a friend too !! really helps!! its things like these that makes you think that formal training should be mandatory !! i mean i dont know even one female driver ( no offence im not against female drivers!!but..)who can parallel park in fact there aren't many male drivers who can do it either forget do it in one go!!
our licensing tests should be stiffened up!! i mean i have i remember my test was taken by a learning school teacher as the officer was too tiered !! so he told him to take the test !!
the guy asked me if i had driven down there and i said yes he next asked me how long i had been driving for , and i sadi that i had learnt when i was in class 8!! and he just smiled and told me to sit in his car which he started , and moved to the passenger seat and then he put it into gear and clutched it from a parallel clutch he had !! i tried to adjust the seat as i was too cramped up but i realised there was an lpg cylinder behind the seat and it was jammed !! and the guy told me to press the accelerator as i did he let go the clutch and the car barely moved for 1 meter and he said that was good enough!!

and thats how i got my license!! no wonder we've got the craziest people on our roads!!
Old 30th April 2006, 17:41   #10
BHPian

why dont driving schools in india teach things like this... i fail to understand!!!
Old 30th April 2006, 19:39   #11
BHPian

well wen i learnt driving my dad and my driver ... made me do it again and again.. till i got it in one attempt......

so not bad at it
Old 30th April 2006, 19:44   #12
BHPian

i did it in 10 secs flat...lol
Old 1st May 2006, 11:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Procuring a DL may be easy in India... but that is a generic scene but not essentially so bad everywhere. Here in Hyderabad they do have some serious tests and I have seen people fail left right and center... sometimes even before the tests begin Lol. In fact even the LL requires candidates to pass a test which is completely online, nonetheless with computer graphics of lot many everyday road scenarios, followed by questions on them.

The Nagole RTO, where everyone goes for the final DL has two tracks where they ask the candidates to drive. It has tracks where the candidate has to form H by forwarding and reversing the vehicle. The edges of the H track has hedges and bricks to form side-line. Anyone whose car gets on one is immediate disqualified. The other test is to make an 8... Again I have seen people get on the hedges and get disqualified.

The best test though is a narrow lane kind of a thing where one has to go in and then reverse and forward the car without touching the sideline and then again come out of it the same way he/she entered. This 180 degrees of about turn has to be done in 5 forward and reverses. I have seen people falter at this one regularly. In fact the last time I went there with my friend for his DL a guy who came for his DL in his scorpio and started doing the tests confidently. He was sailing through until he got into that narrow stretch. No matter how badly he tried the scorpio could not turn course 180 degrees in 5 attempts and in frustration that guy simply got on the ledge and turned the vehicle on his 5th forward. He was promptly disqualified. In fact that made me wonder whether the test is not unfair for the drivers of bigger vehicles!
Old 25th November 2014, 19:32   #14
D C
BHPian

Re: Fail-proof Parallel Parking...

Just thought adding some images would help! I found these on the internet

Source: http://imgur.com/4LTABkH
Attached Thumbnails
Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-parallel-parking-1.jpg  

Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-parallel-parking-2.jpg  

D C is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 23:30   #15
BHPian

Re: Fail-proof Parallel Parking...

A good thing just for the sake of giving a newbie driver some driving tips. But I think this can always be done better with the best of our judgement.
While parking like this I will only consider the size of the gap and length of my car's bonnet and voila I'm parked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks