Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 10:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Fail-proof Parallel Parking...

No offences meant but many times I see people trying to parallel park between two cars while moving forward (bonnet first), which I presume is next to impossible.

No prize for guessing what kind of drivers are these
Old 30th November 2014, 00:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

The problem occurs when you are trying to parallel park on the road and an impatient driver comes up right to your bumper and starts honking. Somehow you manage to convey to him that you are trying to park but he cant reverse because another fool has stopped right behind him and so on. Finally out of frustration you have to move forward to search for another space or you take a U turn and come around to find that another car has stolen your spot or an idiot rickshaw/taxi driver has double parked right next to the open spot and refuses to move while making hand gestures and jabbering something that cannot be understood with his mouth full of paan.
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 02:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The problem occurs when you are trying to parallel park on the road and an impatient driver comes up right to your bumper and starts honking. Somehow you manage to convey to him that you are trying to park but he cant reverse because another fool has stopped right behind him and so on. Finally out of frustration you have to move forward to search for another space or you take a U turn and come around to find that another car has stolen your spot or an idiot rickshaw/taxi driver has double parked right next to the open spot and refuses to move while making hand gestures and jabbering something that cannot be understood with his mouth full of paan.
What i do is i stop just before the free parking slot. So the car behind me stops as well. I put the indicator on and i slowly move forward by just giving the space so the car behind me can steer out. I do not move much ahead as in case he fails to understand the first time, i will have more space to go ahead and let him steer out. Once he is gone i go ahead and put reverse and park.

If he do not have space in left to steer out (in narrow lanes) once i make him stop, i just request the driver behind me to wait by hand signaling him or telling him directly. Then i go ahead and put reverse to park while he stands. This way i generally do not lose a parking slot.

Attaching a pic to refer what i meant to say. I edited the pic posted by D C in post no 14. (Please do not go by the car colors as i missed to maintain the same color in the 2nd part, the car parallel to the red car is the one looking to park.)

Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-parallel-parking-1.jpg

Then follow the next steps as shown in the pics posted by D C in post no 14.

Last edited by Samba : 30th November 2014 at 02:39.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 10:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania View Post
Nice Vivek..thanks a lot dude..gonna try it out..and yeah..seriously,parallel parking is a pain in the a**.
Well,just thought of typing in the Indian car setting for parallel parking- (your same post,but modified according to Indian right drivers side type of setting).

This was taught to me a Maruti Driving School. I used it every day.

Now say you have a car ahead and one behind the parking spot you intend to occupy (on the left side of the road). I am describing here for Indian driver setting.
I was taught a slightly different method in Maruti Driving School which i use on a day to day basis. This does not require assessing where the bumper is.

1. Get the car exactly parallel to the car ahead (on the left of the road) about 2 feet away.

2. Align the left mirror of your car with the B pillar of the car that is parked (the car being parked is still parallel to the other car).

3. Now put the car in the reverse gear, turn the steering wheel completely to the left, then start moving.

4. When you see the left tail lights (of the car parked) well enough, STOP. What is "well enough" here needs bit of a practice, I move until I see the "Whole" tail light well - in the horizontal axis (I mean, the portion of the left tail light which aligns with the left outer edge of the car is visible clearly).

5. Now turn the steering completely to the right and then begin moving in reverse.

6. Now. the car will be parallel to the car ahead.

7. If there is a car behind as well, then you will need to see and stop reversing when you get close to the car parked behind, then, turn steering to the right slightly and move to complete the parking.

8. Please note if the car parked ahead is a large sedan, then you will need to align the left mirror with the C pillar or left mirror is between C and B pillar (step 2) and then follow remaining steps.

The procedure is slightly different if the car parked ahead is parked to the left of the road with the front lights towards your car. (Indian condition). I can describe how to park for this if someone needs it.

First i suggest trying above and then giving your feedback.

MOD NOTE:- Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 12th December 2019 at 10:27. Reason: Maruthi = Maruti.
bpnpmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 22:31   #20
BHPian

I am adding photos, I took them today. I could not find line diagrams online for what I described above.

Aligning the cars (above step 2)
Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-img_20191212_162851.jpg

Seeing enough of the left tail lights (step 4)
Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-img_20191212_162921.jpg

The car becomes parallel. (Step 6)
Fail-proof Parallel Parking...-img_20191212_162954.jpg
bpnpmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 20:32   #21
BHPian

1950s cars had extra wheel to help in parking

AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks