Team-BHP - Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/59138-driveshaft-axle-maintenance-5.html)

Epic I have the exact same issue as you, finally after 2 weeks of irritating tik tak I gave it to linkway for servicing, they told me the left front cv boot is torn. Since my cv boot had torn before - 6 months ago - I took this at face value but was concerned how the cv Boot had torn in 6 months again.

Usually the first suspect in the tik tak sound is the CV boot, and if not addressed fast will require a new driveshaft. I had done all the tests, turn in both directions, reverse etc but there was no sound, just occasionally with no particular connection to bad roads though you feel it more I would get this faint tik tak, its not constant but comes and goes. So finally I took it to Sunil Shanbag in Dadar and within 2 minutes he identified it as something to do with the steering bolt/ linkage - don't quite remember now will confirm tm, that needs to be tightened.

The linkway guys wanted to change the drive shaft for 12k so I wonder what they were thinking, perhaps they had noticed I had not changed it from the service database because they had first identified it 6 months ago but still shoddy work.

Very informative thread, Ill get my car's axles checked at earliest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raul (Post 1627923)
Epic I have the exact same issue as you, finally after 2 weeks of irritating tik tak I gave it to linkway for servicing, they told me the left front cv boot is torn. Since my cv boot had torn before - 6 months ago - I took this at face value but was concerned how the cv Boot had torn in 6 months again.

Usually the first suspect in the tik tak sound is the CV boot, and if not addressed fast will require a new driveshaft. I had done all the tests, turn in both directions, reverse etc but there was no sound, just occasionally with no particular connection to bad roads though you feel it more I would get this faint tik tak, its not constant but comes and goes. So finally I took it to Sunil Shanbag in Dadar and within 2 minutes he identified it as something to do with the steering bolt/ linkage - don't quite remember now will confirm tm, that needs to be tightened.

The linkway guys wanted to change the drive shaft for 12k so I wonder what they were thinking, perhaps they had noticed I had not changed it from the service database because they had first identified it 6 months ago but still shoddy work.

Hey Raul,

Thank you for the info. So i guess its the steering bolt/linkage then. But what about that little scruffing/grinding sound that I get when at low speeds or while breaking? Did you also get these sounds along with the 'tak' sound?

I didn't get any sounds as such specifically while braking, however the sounds would come on at any speed on most types of road, usually after driving for 5-10 min. Its actually irritating because its not constant and seemingly has a mind of its own making it difficult to tell what's causing it.

Ok a simple problem, it might be the problem with steering column.

Axles seems fine, tyres are just 2 weeks old.

Whenever i go through a pot hole i hear tuk tuk noise from steering (seems like from steering column) ? Can it be steering bush ?

^^^Check your tierods and balljoints.

Pramod

I recently had my car's wheel bearings replaced and even though i haven't check my mechanic replaced one of the boots.I am still having a peculiar problem since many years and never have been able to pin point the problem.
I hear a thud sound from the front left wheel (passenger side) upon accelerating and decelerating not necessarily at turns but even at straight lines.My mechanic did say i may have to take the car to a "turner" later but am not sure what he meant.
Car is 97 800.Its lightly use covered just 31360 KMS till date.

Check for cracks near the engine mounts / engine bay / inside the wheel arch. Our M800 had the same problem.

there was a crack near the engine mount on the LHS. got it weilded.

EDIT: since your car has the front bull bar - check for cracks around the portion that holds the bar to the chassis.

Do you still own the Fiat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet_rocker (Post 1650195)
Check for cracks near the engine mounts / engine bay / inside the wheel arch. Our M800 had the same problem.

there was a crack near the engine mount on the LHS. got it weilded.

EDIT: since your car has the front bull bar - check for cracks around the portion that holds the bar to the chassis.

Do you still own the Fiat?

Will definitely check for cracks.as for the fiat we got it scrapped in around 2001 i think for 10,000 bucks.

People, I got both left and right drive shafts changed at Honda. it cost almost 17K. The car feels great and upon checking the old shafts the torn boots were the cause of the damage...
My problem with the slight 'rumble' or 'rattle' is still there on a bad road !!
this sound was in an amplified state, with the damaged drive shaft.
Could there be a suspension issue? how do i know if the Arms are in condition?
There is no rumble on a fine 'rubberized' road.
later today i have a drive on both types of roads, I'll keep a keen ear and check..

^^
when did you last change the rubber spacer of balance rod.

also check the tie rod and its end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1651583)
^^
when did you last change the rubber spacer of balance rod.
also check the tie rod and its end.

Alec, I'm totally ignorant about both the above! stupid:
where are they situated and how do i check them?

turn your steering to extreme right or left.
1. the metal rod going through the trailing arm and mounted on the monocoque is the stabalizer bar or more commonly called as balance rod.
Name:  art_AntiRollBar.gif
Views: 2683
Size:  9.0 KB

2. Tie rod is part of steering system. Its very easy to spot. When one does the wheel alignment this is the thing that is adjusted.

Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance-tie-rod-end.jpg

you are right Alec, my tie rod was diagnosed earlier with issues, and this could be the problem, although this service they did a wheel alignment and they should have known. but now since i know what to look for, I'll try to do the trouble shoot identification myself.
alec - which is the lower arm? on the suspension.

For the others the OEM for OHC is GKN now, they moved from Delphi for whatever the reasons are. if you wanna look it up : GKN Driveline : Automotive Driveline Components : Products

interestingly the boots are also available, so that's good nuz if you have a torn boot.. like 'ksm' you could prevent bigger problems by changing the boot.

Quote:

I recently had my car's wheel bearings replaced and even though i haven't check my mechanic replaced one of the boots.I am still having a peculiar problem since many years and never have been able to pin point the problem.
I hear a thud sound from the front left wheel (passenger side) upon accelerating and decelerating not necessarily at turns but even at straight lines.My mechanic did say i may have to take the car to a "turner" later but am not sure what he meant.
Car is 97 800.Its lightly use covered just 31360 KMS till date.

Hello,

I had shown the car to my garage this morning they said a total front suspension o/h would cost around 4-5k but i am concerned more if the problem is not related to suspension but to the drive shafts.

To explaing better suppose if one were to keep his foot on the inner wheel well of the passenger side (ie sitting inside the car) he can feel something moving or pulsating when the thud sound appears while driving.

Can the drive shaft etc move around in place if it has worn out in such a fashion?

thanks for ur time.