Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 10:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Alto Clutch failure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
Generally the clutch is not replaced under warranty. Atleast our 800's wasn't which has failed around 2500 kms.
I am sure that the clutch is not covered under warranty. My office colleague had a similar problem and when Maruti refused to replace or repair it under warranty we checked the owners manual and it stated very clearly that the clutch is not covered under warranty.

In your case, it could have been a clutch cable which does fall under warranty.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I am sure that the clutch is not covered under warranty. My office colleague had a similar problem and when Maruti refused to replace or repair it under warranty we checked the owners manual and it stated very clearly that the clutch is not covered under warranty.

In your case, it could have been a clutch cable which does fall under warranty.
My clutch in the Swift D was replaced at 20 thousand km under warranty.
Old 24th February 2014, 12:00   #18
BHPian

I am feeling an issue with my Ritz VXi Clutch since a very long time (Its quiet hard).
The car has done just 16000 kms and the issue is there since the last 5000 kms atleast. MASS just refuses to accept it under warranty repairs. As my running is quiet low(~500 kms per month), I have also left it like that.
They are asking INR 7k for a clutch change
Old 24th February 2014, 12:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

May I just add that many cases of hard clutch are due to worn out outer casing of the clutch cables. Many times, such problems are solved either by changing the cable (or the outer, in case one finds it) or even by lubricating the cable. Give it a shot before going for expensive repairs and replacement of parts.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 21:10   #20
BHPian

I have not got a precise solution for my doubts yet. It would be of great help if the members who were successful in getting the clutch replaced under warranty share their experience because I am sure no MASS will straight away agree to cover the clutch replacement under warranty. Precisely, I would like to know what I should do if the MASS says that the replacement cannot be covered under warranty?
Old 28th February 2014, 04:26   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
I have not got a precise solution for my doubts yet. It would be of great help if the members who were successful in getting the clutch replaced under warranty share their experience because I am sure no MASS will straight away agree to cover the clutch replacement under warranty. Precisely, I would like to know what I should do if the MASS says that the replacement cannot be covered under warranty?
Do you have any service advisors (Friendship/good rapport made over the visits) in the MASS? If yes, 40% problem solved.

Get the clutch inspected fully for faults and get it ascertained whether it is user fault or company fault. If the fault is a company one they will replace it for sure else you have to bear it.

Was such problem reported in the earlier services/visits? If yes, do you have any records of the same?

Mail the higher officials stating your problem and help should be there soon.

Anurag.
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do you have any service advisors (Friendship/good rapport made over the visits) in the MASS? If yes, 40% problem solved.

Get the clutch inspected fully for faults and get it ascertained whether it is user fault or company fault. If the fault is a company one they will replace it for sure else you have to bear it.

Was such problem reported in the earlier services/visits? If yes, do you have any records of the same?

Mail the higher officials stating your problem and help should be there soon.

Anurag.
Got the pressure plate and clutch disc changed last week, but had to pay out of my pocket as the reason given was "We could have covered it under warranty had it been a regular warranty (first 2 years) and since yours is an extended warranty (now 4th year), cannot be covered." It was pressure plate that was damaged, two fingers were bent; so, clearly not my (driver's) fault. I was told the flywheel and release bearing are fine and does not need replacement. Cost of the part was 2000 + 1650 labour. The old part had the part number "22400M79G40" whereas the new one is "22011M79G41," which I noticed only after reaching home. When I informed the SA next day over phone, the reply I got was "The part number would have changed now since your's is a 3.5 year old car," meaning the part numbers change over a period of time! Should I be concerned about the change in part numbers?

No such problem was reported earlier; clutch was perfectly alright and the problem happened all of a sudden.

Last edited by sada : 2nd March 2014 at 10:18. Reason: To add another line
Old 1st November 2015, 00:34   #23

My 2011 Alto (registered in 2012) done around 28000 Kms experienced a sudden clutch issue while driving home tonight, everything was fine when while cruising all of sudden when I had to shift the clutch won't depress fully and the gear wont disengage (was trying to downshift from 5th to 4th), after a couple of attempts, it did allow me to downshift however its really spongy for the first half of travel and then becomes really hard and I could fell that it wasn't traveling all the way in yet I was able to shift gears without any kind of grinding noise from the transmission and even the pick was almost BAU on flat roads however during parking there is a 2 feet incline let's say 30 degrees gradient I had to rev really hard to develop the necessary power whereas normally I just release the clutch and the car climbs it effortlessly and while also picking speed. Is it a failed clutch or something else.
P.S. - No issues with the clutch before this incident. Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:22   #24

Took my baby to a MASS today, turned out to be a bent diaphragm spring. The following parts were replaced:
1. Clutch plate
2. Clutch casing
3. Gasket
4. Clutch cable
5. Input shaft bearing (on the flywheel)
6. Clutch bearing

Total charges including labour ans tax(es) INR 5255/-.

Some pics, in case I have managed to upload those successfully
Attached Thumbnails
Alto Clutch failure!!!-altoonlift.jpg  

Alto Clutch failure!!!-20151103_151038.jpg  

Alto Clutch failure!!!-20151103_151105.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2015 at 08:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts.
Old 13th November 2015, 12:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My 2009 Alto has done only ~18K kms so far, mostly in city traffic. Today when I gave it for regular service, I was told that the clutch is gone and will need replacement. I have not seen any explicit tell-tale signs except that the clutch has become quite hard of late. I have always been a believer of preventive maintenance and therefore, gave a go ahead for the change.

Question - Does clutch life depend only on kms done or age as well?
Old 13th November 2015, 15:03   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have always been a believer of preventive maintenance and therefore, gave a go ahead for the change.

Question - Does clutch life depend only on kms done or age as well?
My advice is to get a second opinion before you go ahead with the clutch change.

Life depends on how the car driven, how much the clutch was used etc. My earlier car, Ritz - in the 1.1L kms, never had I required a clutch change. It all depends on the traffic conditions the car is out through along with the amount of usage.

Your car may have only 18K on the odometer but daily in bumper - to - bumper traffic, the clutch is fried.
Old 13th November 2015, 18:02   #27
BHPian

So my 2007 Alto Lxi has been giving me a strange issue. The reverse gear makes a grinding sound while being engaged despite the clutch being fully pressed. However if I first shift into 3rd (third) and then into reverse it goes in like butter. Any idea what the culprit is? MASS is saying clutch+release bearing+synchronizer rings. Any views would be most welcome!

Current ODO 57k- clutch replaced at 18k (2007 Alto's had a manufacturing defect in the clutch for which M.S. had undertaken a silent recall) not self driven at all times (used by sister and family driver who is a sedate chap).

Shady!
[re-posting from Alto issues thread]
Old 13th November 2015, 18:05   #28
Team-BHP Support

Sounds more like a gearbox synchronizer issue more than clutch, though a weak clutch also can make gear engagement noisy.
Old 14th November 2015, 09:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
So my 2007 Alto Lxi has been giving me a strange issue. The reverse gear makes a grinding sound while being engaged despite the clutch being fully pressed. However if I first shift into 3rd (third) and then into reverse it goes in like butter. Any idea what the culprit is? MASS is saying clutch+release bearing+synchronizer rings. Any views would be most welcome!

Current ODO 57k- clutch replaced at 18k (2007 Alto's had a manufacturing defect in the clutch for which M.S. had undertaken a silent recall) not self driven at all times (used by sister and family driver who is a sedate chap).

Shady!
[re-posting from Alto issues thread]
hello shady lawyer,
First of all while engaging reverse gear in my 2010 alto, I have always found that upon stopping, it is sometimes hard to slot into the reverse and sometimes I have to chose another gear (I usually choose first gear) before it slots into reverse. This happens occasionally and not all the time and I have seen it happen in other vehicles too.
There are three synchro hubs in a maruti gearbox
1) low speed sychro assembly-contains the first and second gear synchros
2) high speed synchro assembly- contains the third and fourth gear sychros
3) fifth gear synchro
The reverse gear does not get a sychro hence it cant be engaged even when the car is moving in reverse. Ever tried engaging reverse when the car is moving downhill in reverse? It simply won't go in. So can you ask them which of the above synchronisers do they intend to change because a reverse gear issue can't be caused by syncronizers as the reverse gear in not synchronized in your car.

This would most likely be an issue with the gear linkage assembly, the bushes tend to get hard with time.

The reverse gear itself could have suffered damage and needs changing.

Is the car showing standard signs of clutch wear? A weak clutch could also be the culprit.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 14th November 2015 at 09:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks