Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 15:06   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Changed the front struts and mounts.....all I can say is that the handling is dramatically improved! Wish I had done it a year ago.

Any of you guys using o-40 synthetic oils?
Old 30th August 2018, 01:37   #1052
BHPian

Time for a new Master and Slave cylinder. Accompanying gaskets and hoses also sourced from the Mercedes Benz dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-fd65b135c2134cddbf6463159cf459ed.jpeg  

Screwdriva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 16:18   #1053
BHPian

Are there workshops in Pune who has staff who knows the W124? I am shuttling between Pune and Kochi and I am contemplating bringing my W124 to Pune to use it there. I hate to see the car sitting idle in Kochi (The car is not driven when I am away at Pune).
Old 16th September 2018, 11:58   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Are there workshops in Pune who has staff who knows the W124? I am shuttling between Pune and Kochi and I am contemplating bringing my W124 to Pune to use it there. I hate to see the car sitting idle in Kochi (The car is not driven when I am away at Pune).
As per my info, below agencies could offer you the maintenance possibilities in Pune :

1. Euro Car Care - Altaf Shaikh 9096062786
2. Mercedes BU Bhandari - 020 6721 2121 ( even it still services W123 models)
3. Federal Motors - Mr.Amin Tehrani - 9049981292
4. Mr.Aditya Borawake's workshop - 99700 94267

You may speak to them and visit personally to gain confidence.
I don't have any direct experience with any of the above and obviously I don't have any personal or commercial interest.

I suggest, you should get the major service done in Kochi itself before getting the car here.
Old 19th October 2018, 14:34   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
After 22 years on the car, my W124’s original front suspension was renewed using MB Stuttgart supplied OE replacement parts. It is a testament to Mercedes quality from a bygone era that the car ran on its original components for over 2 decades!

My insistence on using factory supplied components has paid a rich dividend- the car drives better than when I first purchased it 10 years ago.

Included in the above were genuine heavy duty struts, new bearings and all rubber bushings. See pictures for some of the components changed.
Just the way a W124 should be maintained.

As an avid German car enthusiast, it pains to see me people skimp on maintenance using substandard and cheap spares.Most (non-bhpian owned) examples available in the market for 2-3 Lakhs are an assortment of Chinese spares and are not worth half the price quoted.

I have had my eye on one of these.Someday, maybe.(I am notorious for sitting on the fence for years together before until a near perfect example makes me bite the bullet). Till then I'll keep coming back to this thread to live my pleasures vicariously.

Last edited by octane1002 : 19th October 2018 at 14:36.
Old 24th October 2018, 13:48   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Just the way a W124 should be maintained.

As an avid German car enthusiast, it pains to see me people skimp on maintenance using substandard and cheap spares.Most (non-bhpian owned) examples available in the market for 2-3 Lakhs are an assortment of Chinese spares and are not worth half the price quoted.

I have had my eye on one of these.Someday, maybe.(I am notorious for sitting on the fence for years together before until a near perfect example makes me bite the bullet). Till then I'll keep coming back to this thread to live my pleasures vicariously.
Same here! Me and a friend of mine have been on a hunt for this car since 2016. Came across one well maintained example but unfortunately it was sold to someone else before we could get our hands on it! We're still searching, by the way!
Old 28th October 2018, 21:57   #1057
BHPian

I use Automec, Viman Nagar, Pune. He has been great!

The owner is Abdul, and he runs a great shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
As per my info, below agencies could offer you the maintenance possibilities in Pune :

1. Euro Car Care - Altaf Shaikh 9096062786
2. Mercedes BU Bhandari - 020 6721 2121 ( even it still services W123 models)
3. Federal Motors - Mr.Amin Tehrani - 9049981292
4. Mr.Aditya Borawake's workshop - 99700 94267

You may speak to them and visit personally to gain confidence.
I don't have any direct experience with any of the above and obviously I don't have any personal or commercial interest.

I suggest, you should get the major service done in Kochi itself before getting the car here.
Old 28th October 2018, 21:59   #1058
BHPian

I bought mirror boots off EBay. They look pretty good, unfortunately the only option was to go non OEM. Have not fitted them yet, so will update once installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
Dear Virat,

Thanks for your prompt reply - as always - and also for the contact. I will try him tomorrow.

Refurbishing the existing mirror boots may not be such a long-lasting solution because the RHS one is cracked and the LHS one has sort-of melted out of shape. They aren't disgraceful as yet, but having done so much work on our car, these are the only two black-marks on an otherwise shining exterior!

I'll let you know how I keep getting on.

CLYDE

I visited the site, but maybe my German (thanks to Google Translate) is not what they understand!!! I could not get any hits.

In the meantime, another BHPian has given me a contact closer to home, in New Delhi, and I should be trying him tomorrow.

Thanks for taking time and trouble off for my request.

CLYDE

Moderator's Note: Please do not make back to back posts. Use the Multiquote option () to respond to multiple people. In case you missed something you can always edit your own post in the first 30 minutes using the edit button.

All the back to back posts have been merged.
Old 16th November 2018, 07:17   #1059
BHPian

Good morning everyone.

Have just purchased a E250D. Was a dream car for my parents for a long long time.

There are certain things to be done, for which I need expert advice.

> Reliable Service place in / around Navi Mumbai OR Wadala, Sewri area

> Replacement Steering Wheel since the existing unit's leather is frayed at the 10 to 2 arc.

> Replacement IRVM.

> All seats, since rear bench has a rip & fray, rear back has a rip etc.

> Parcel Tray since the existing unit has been hacked at previously to fit a woofer which is missing.

> Steering makes funny noise when turning when cold. Once it warms up, does not do it.

> While releasing the clutch when cold there are no issues. After driving for 30 - 40mins, juddering starts when releasing the clutch in first gear.

> Tachometer works fine but of its own free will. Sometimes drops to zero, stays there for some rest, then pops back up again.

Any & all tips & suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Contacts for new parts, old new parts, used parts & knowledgeable gentlemen for fitting & servicing will be treasured.

Thanks.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 17:42   #1060
BHPian

Having the W124 fully detailed, clay bar, polish and a ceramic coat.....pretty intensive detail including the wheels etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-3e4e98a7d85e4d81876ab4e1e8e858a5.jpeg  

benz220 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 13:47   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Changed the front struts and mounts.....all I can say is that the handling is dramatically improved! Wish I had done it a year ago.

Any of you guys using o-40 synthetic oils?
Yup, I used Mobil 1 0W40 briefly, before reverting to Mobil 1 5W50
Absolutely no issues faced with 0W40, though the car seems to love the 5W50 more
Old 6th December 2018, 13:57   #1062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya Janvekar View Post
> Steering makes funny noise when turning when cold. Once it warms up, does not do it.
Without hearing the actual noise it is difficult to tell. But you might want to try and refresh the hydraulic steering liquid. It appears that as it is cold the liquid is a little bit more thick than usual. Sometimes you start hearing sort of sqqishy noises. As the liquid warms up it get the correct viscosity and the noised disappear.

As your hydraulic liquid becomes older, it starts to loose some of it's properties, including it's ability to have a relative stable viscosity. When you decide to replace the hydraulic liquid also replace the filter of the hydraulic system.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:01   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good morning everyone.

Have just purchased a E250D. Was a dream car for my parents for a long long time.

> Replacement Steering Wheel since the existing unit's leather is frayed at the 10 to 2 arc.

> Replacement IRVM.

> Parcel Tray since the existing unit has been hacked at previously to fit a woofer which is missing.

> While releasing the clutch when cold there are no issues. After driving for 30 - 40mins, juddering starts when releasing the clutch in first gear.

> Tachometer works fine but of its own free will. Sometimes drops to zero, stays there for some rest, then pops back up again.

Any & all tips & suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Contacts for new parts, old new parts, used parts & knowledgeable gentlemen for fitting & servicing will be treasured.

Thanks.
Since you mentioned Wadala you can give a call to

Jaggi - 9820448855 (Gear Upp Automotive). Based in Chembur

He does a great job and will only do work that is required. He will not force you to replace if the need not be.

You can give him my reference. Hes an old friend. I was at his workshop the other day and he has 5 Mercs under going restoration currently

Hope that helps
Old 6th December 2018, 14:10   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Good morning everyone.

Thanks.
Hi,

Welcome to W124 ownership!

Answering your queries in bold:

Check out the T-BHP Directories.

Get it wrapped in leather. Check this thread for reference. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...new-delhi.html (Car Upholstery - Raju & Rahul (Palika Bhawan, New Delhi))

> Replacement IRVM.
Why? eBay/scrap yard is your best bet.

Again, look at reupholstering.

This is going to be difficult. You'll have to source a used parcel tray, but I'm not sure how to install it.

Jeroen gave an answer while I was typing this post. You could look into getting the Power Steering Kit along with changing the oil. Thereafter you could look into the steering ends.

Change the brake fluid. Make sure to bleed from all 4 discs even if mechanic insists otherwise.

Likely to be an electrical contact issue or a wiring issue. You'll need a good "meter-wala" or electrician. If you are into DIY, you can look into taking out the meter console and checking it out for any broken solders etc.

Opera House will be your best bet. S Maganlal and Sons will be a good starting point.

Let us know how things go after the first round of correction!
Old 9th January 2019, 15:43   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
I use Automec, Viman Nagar, Pune. He has been great!

The owner is Abdul, and he runs a great shop.
Thank you. But I am unable to locate the place in map. Is it Automec or Automech?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks