Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2014, 13:20   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i have just got a E220 about 3 weeks ago,so still learning.
OVP is basically overvoltage protection relay,so when jump starting due to sudden current surge,it may blow.
Hmmm I re did my ovp a few years ago...IMHO there's very little for anything to blow inside it...unless there's a power surge bad enough to burn the copper winding which is highly improbable at 12 to 14v ..evn with a galizzion amps. . Remeber voltage = current x resistance. If resistance and voltage are fixed no matter how many amps ur batt/alt can throw out..only "that" much can actually flow thru the circuit. ..some pics for eye candy
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1408002571939.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1408002589290.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-1408002611312.jpg  

sportz_kruzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 00:43   #827
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Hmmm I re did my ovp a few years ago...IMHO there's very little for anything to blow inside it...unless there's a power surge bad enough to burn the copper winding which is highly improbable at 12 to 14v ..evn with a galizzion amps. . Remeber voltage = current x resistance. If resistance and voltage are fixed no matter how many amps ur batt/alt can throw out..only "that" much can actually flow thru the circuit. ..some pics for eye candy
Well, a lot of Mercedes experts recommend that you do not jump start. Besides, I speak from personal experience. I had a faulty OVP in my 300 which I never suspected, and went on an absolute wild goose chase, before deciding to read up and changing it (which solved my problem). I realised that many recommend that you just keep one as a spare.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 14:10   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Does the car switch off immediately when you turn the key or does it take a few seconds? That could indicate an issue with the shut off nozzle, and the solenoid.

Yes the car switches off immediately.

EDIT — That can is the diesel filter. The fuel passes through this, and all the surrounding pipes are usually the first cause of problems with this car. Do you see any signs of leaking diesel? Check around the engine mount which is visible below this area.

No leaks that i can see

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
How old is the battery? The voltage drop happening when the starter motor turns (as it consumes loads of current) might be preventing ur glow plugs and other relays (OVP?) From functioning properly thus preventing it from starting. (it drops to 9.8v when cranking on my cielo) Which might be why things work smoothly when you add another battery in parallel (jump start). So essentially by jump starting ur doubling the current at same voltage (12v) thus reducing voltage drop under load when cranking thus leaving good enough power for the electronics to work. (Wait a minute! ...does this car have an ecu? Its not a common rail or aCDI right...anyways..)

So check ur battery condition, terminals any resistance or drop betwen the terminal and the wire. Next time you want to jump start. .try replacing the battery with the jump start batt and see if there s any change.

You can check voltage drop using a multimeter

The problem doesn't seem mechanical as ur car other wise runs fine (I assume) maybe ur starter motor is eating all the power thus preventing a diesel primer pump from efficiently engaging.

If its a case of voltage drop..corroded fuses and bad relays will exaggerate the issue. Anyways try step by step
The battery is less than an year old. One more thing i just remembered, the glow plug light is not coming on since last couple of weeks. what would cause it to go out ?

the car mechanically runs fine, only trouble is the car is trying too hard to go above 100 kmph. until 100 its fine and relatively smooth, but after that it seems like the car is running out of steam.
Old 17th August 2014, 15:20   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
The battery is less than an year old. One more thing i just remembered, the glow plug light is not coming on since last couple of weeks. what would cause it to go out ?

the car mechanically runs fine, only trouble is the car is trying too hard to go above 100 kmph. until 100 its fine and relatively smooth, but after that it seems like the car is running out of steam.
Car running out of steam at high speed (when it is fine at normal speed) points to fuel delivery problem - blockage some where. Get the pump and fuel lines checked. May even be clogged injection nozzles.
Old 17th August 2014, 16:15   #830
BHPian

Quote:

Your glow plug relay and wiring needs to be looked at. It sounds like you have clogged injectors or a blockage in the fuel delivery, as Aroy says. The car pulls like a train past 90 kmph all the way up to 150.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:56   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
You might just need a FIP service if the car has been sitting idle for many months. Even otherwise, the pump does require a service now and then.
Viraat a question about the FIP service (90% of issues in my car are related to this damn thing) Do you know if this is a hard or time consuming job ? I am going to give the car in for this repair tomorrow or the day after at the Mercedes ASC in Hyderabad. IIRC the SA said it will cost around Rs.25,000. Anyways I am asking because i just want to know how long i will be without a car. I already asked the SA about this he said he cannot say until the car is in the workshop. Is there anything else i should get done along with this ( car has run about 123,000 kms) ? I am going to get the engine shock absorber and tensioner checked and replaced if necessary as the engine is a bit noisy than usual.

Last edited by abhiram7912 : 18th August 2014 at 22:24. Reason: Wording
Old 19th August 2014, 23:02   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Viraat a question about the FIP service (90% of issues in my car are related to this damn thing) Do you know if this is a hard or time consuming job ? I am going to give the car in for this repair tomorrow or the day after at the Mercedes ASC in Hyderabad. IIRC the SA said it will cost around Rs.25,000. Anyways I am asking because i just want to know how long i will be without a car. I already asked the SA about this he said he cannot say until the car is in the workshop. Is there anything else i should get done along with this ( car has run about 123,000 kms) ? I am going to get the engine shock absorber and tensioner checked and replaced if necessary as the engine is a bit noisy than usual.
Zero experience with the FIP service. I think it mostly has seals and bushes, so it can't take all that long.

Engine mounts, steering oil, gear box oil, differential oil should all be looked at.
Steering oil is supposed to be a deep mustard yellow, and you can only use Daimler Benz oil. The gear box uses ATF. For the differential, I am using hypoid gear oil, 85 or 90, not sure.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:05   #833
BHPian

Quote:
The glow plug light does not come on if one of the plugs is faulty as the timer takes a longer time to switch on. In this condition you may possibly notice that the glow plug light comes on after the engine fires up and goes after a fixed period of time.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st September 2014 at 00:28. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 31st August 2014, 11:49   #834
BHPian

Hello to all readers and contributors of this amazing thread.I have today purshased a w124 1996 model that was owned by a leading business family of Chandigarh all these years.The car is silver in colour and has done 126xxx km on the odo primarily runnin on Chandigarhroads and occsional highway jaunts , I will be sharing the pictures once i figure how to add them in the post from my mobile look forward to am amazing journey with my w124.I shall be seeking guidance from all experienced owner regualrly
regards
Dr Gurpreet
jeepbug is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 00:21   #835
BHPian

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409510954.702185.jpgMercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409511001.717613.jpgMercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409511036.135716.jpgMercedes W124 E Class Support Group-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409511059.735614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
jeepbug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 09:11   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbug View Post
Attachment 1281019

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Nice;Another 124(250D) from chandigarh.
Btw that's gagan's 250D standing next to the Tfort;isnt it?
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 12:22   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all readers and contributors of this amazing thread.I have today purshased a w124 1996 model that was owned by a leading business family of Chandigarh all these years.The car is silver in colour and has done 126xxx km on the odo primarily runnin on Chandigarhroads and occsional highway jaunts , I will be sharing the pictures once i figure how to add them in the post from my mobile look forward to am amazing journey with my w124.I shall be seeking guidance from all experienced owner regualrly
regards
Dr Gurpreet
The photographs look good and the car appears to be neatly maintained. How about some interior photos? How is the interior of the engine bay ? Imust congratulate you on identifying a good car.
Karadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:23   #838
BHPian

@akshay4587 and @karadi thanks for wishes its a dream come true,yes akshay its gagan's car i bought it from only, i shall post the images interior from phone.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:55   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@akshay4587 and @karadi thanks for wishes its a dream come true,yes akshay its gagan's car i bought it from only, i shall post the images interior from phone.
Congrats
I too Just picked one on 25th July.
Mine is a 220 though.
Quite a few 124's from chandigarh now;we should plan a meet.
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:07   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats
I too Just picked one on 25th July.
Mine is a 220 though.
Quite a few 124's from chandigarh now;we should plan a meet.
Congrats akshay me and gagan were talking about this let's all w124 brigade get together some day .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks