Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 11:56   #61
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I didn't realise I've gained a reputation as the W124 guy for Delhi. It's quite an honour. Thanks!
When I was in the process of buying my W124, I used to spend a lot of time on all W124 related threads. That's where I read a couple of posts by you . I know some guys in around Mumbai/Pune area as well who own a W124.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:20   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
A few days ago, though ... Sometimes if there's too much traffic it goes near the 100, but not as bad as the first day.
The normal running temperature is between 80 and 100. So no need to worry.

Quote:
Also, since that very day, I occasionally hear a disturbing noise (like a damaged bush or arm joint) from the front right when turning the wheel lock to lock, or on bad surfaces. It's not consistent, but it's there from time to time.
How many KM's has the car done?
Check if the power steering fluid is at the required level, if not get it topped up and it should be fine. If not, we'll take it from there.

Quote:
Also (and sorry for all the long questions) - where in Delhi do you stay / work? Maybe I could PM you? I'd love to see your car, and maybe you could help me understand mine better! I'm still new at this
Long questions are fun, so don't worry!
I stay in South Delhi. Just to clarify, I'm a student and the W124 isn't my personal ride (don't have such good luck), it's my fathers.
Sure, lets get in touch via PM, just mention what all work you've got done.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
When I was in the process of buying my W124, I used to spend a lot of time on all W124 related threads. That's where I read a couple of posts by you . I know some guys in around Mumbai/Pune area as well who own a W124.
I guess you're talking about the post where I mention all the prices and stuff? Glad it helped.
Old 1st April 2012, 07:58   #63
BHPian

Gurus Seeking your advice here

I have seen a W124 300D white colour with automatic transmission sun roof all options (fully loaded) in a very good condition.

The vehicle has Andhra Pradesh Registration and the owner claims it was imported in 1984.

What should be the ideal price for the car?

Also, is there any way to check the vehicle import/ date of manufacture etc?

If there anyone from our brethern here who has anything to share on the history of this car?

Would appreciate any inputs, as I am really keen on getting the vehicle.
Old 1st April 2012, 19:09   #64
BHPian

I went on AP transport website and input the vehicle registration number, but it does not give any information on the vehicle.

Also, the owner is not willing to share the engine and chassis numbers.

Any inputs from the gurus on vehicle identification would be really helpful.
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:57   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
I went on AP transport website and input the vehicle registration number, but it does not give any information on the vehicle.

I would suggest that you desist from dealing with those who do not want to divulge details of vehicle particulars. This normally means that they are trying to hide some crucial information, not an encouraging fact for a buyer.
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post

First off, it is imported in 1984 as you say, which is highly unlikely cause the W124 was only sold from 1985 onwards. Even if there is a mix up in the dates, you cannot be sure of how many hands the car has been through before being imported. And since the owner is not willing to give you the VIN, just pass on this one. Besides, why buy a car from the 1980's when you can get the same car from the mid 1990's? Newer cars will have fewer issues, even if it is a W124.

Plenty of other fish in the sea!
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:58   #67
BHPian

Dear Viraat

Thanks for the reply, the vehicle is imported in 1994 not 1984 (sorry, my bad)

Are there any pointers/ areas to check in the vehicle?

Any inputs will be really useful in making a decision as its the first time I am looking at a W124.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:17   #68
BHPian

AC question regarding cooling

On the E220 I am having a strange AC issue. When the car is run in the morning it feels fine with the AC on. In the afternoon, when it is much hotter, it cools, but the air temp out of the vents is nowhere near as cold as it used to be.

It is still cooling, but not well. If I had to guess I would say the vent air temp is down by 30 percent. The freon has been checked and it is full, no system leaks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 11:53   #69
BHPian

Hey! I'm back again, and sadly with a few more niggling issues :(

So the suspension / wheel lock noise still persists, especially at a certain position when I turn left. The power steering fluid has been topped up and it seems like that wasn't the issue. Suspension/axle issues, maybe?

Also, a new point of worry. Yesterday night, my driver's door stopped locking/unlocking - manually or with the key. The other three locks are fine, but the driver's door lock is in unlocked position and just won't budge. Seems completely jammed - now I have a car that I can't take anywhere (as it won't lock). Seems like the motor might have given way, but that would only affect the automatic central locking, right? It's so jammed that the key doesn't turn at all and the knob can't be pushed down either. Please advise!
Old 18th April 2012, 00:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! I'm back again, and sadly with a few more niggling issues :(

So the suspension / wheel lock noise still persists, especially at a certain position when I turn left. The power steering fluid has been topped up and it seems like that wasn't the issue. Suspension/axle issues, maybe?

Also, a new point of worry. Yesterday night, my driver's door stopped locking/unlocking - manually or with the key. The other three locks are fine, but the driver's door lock is in unlocked position and just won't budge. Seems completely jammed - now I have a car that I can't take anywhere (as it won't lock). Seems like the motor might have given way, but that would only affect the automatic central locking, right? It's so jammed that the key doesn't turn at all and the knob can't be pushed down either. Please advise!
I had faced the exact same issue a couple of months back. When my mechanic opened the lock, it seems it was damaged. Someone had fooled around with the lock in its previous ownership. Anyways, my mechanic just interchanged the passenger and driver side lock and I was good to go.
In your case too, if you lock from the passenger side, does it lock all the four doors? If yes, you too can get the locks interchanged. In any case, please take the car to your mechanic to get the lock opened and examined. It might not be damaged also in your case and just jammed which should be sorted out.
Old 18th April 2012, 19:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
I had faced the exact same issue a couple of months back. When my mechanic opened the lock, it seems it was damaged. Someone had fooled around with the lock in its previous ownership. Anyways, my mechanic just interchanged the passenger and driver side lock and I was good to go.
In your case too, if you lock from the passenger side, does it lock all the four doors? If yes, you too can get the locks interchanged. In any case, please take the car to your mechanic to get the lock opened and examined. It might not be damaged also in your case and just jammed which should be sorted out.
Yes I also thing that the lock's mechanicals are gone. Get a mechanic to dismantle the lock mechanism and see if any parts are broken. If not, simply dismantling, cleaning and oiling generally starts it working again.

Generally there are two parts to it
. The mechanical part, which is the lock
. Electrical which has both a solenoid to actuate the mechanical part (plunger) and a sensor/switch to send the signals to the other locks.

It is either the mechanicals or the power supply to the solenoid.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:01   #72
BHPian

My W124 takes a hit :( The story and the repair

Accidents will happen.

I wonder who said that. Anyway, they were right.

So Monday morning, I am called downstairs by the office guard - A dtc bus hit my parked 124. My office is right next to a dtc depot, and although I typically park in the compound parking lot or building driveway, on that unfortunate day I hadn't.

What we saw next was quite disheartening. A broken (smashed!) front bumper, right side indicator light, and some metal damage around it. No bus driver in sight. Sigh.

A call to Patel Auto was the last straw. Bumper assembly? 45k. Light? 9.5k. Assembly and installation labour? 10k. Paint and repair work? 15k upwards depending on the survey. Tax? 12.5%. My insurance? Third party only - after all, it is a 15 year old car. Needless to say, my heart sank. One corner damage with a light and bumper equals at least 80k in repairs? The pains of owning a Mercedes!!

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-20120507_113301.jpg

Then came Palika Bhawan to my rescue. For those who don't know, Palika Bhawan market in Chanakyapuri is a one-stop shopping arcade for parts, labor and services for most cars - especially expensive cars / old luxury cars, and is full of experienced Mercedes mechanics from dubai. Some are even ex-A.S.S employees from popular Mercedes workshops who decided to go the business route.

A few calls, a few references, and finally I went down to Palika Bhawan. Sourced a new bumper, a new corner indicator light, and found the right experienced denter to start his magic. A known, respected paint guy, some original DuPont paint, and voila. Two days of supervision, and here's what we have.

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-20120509_150758.jpg

What's surprising is the quality and finish of work. The denting, the smoothness, the paint color match, the rubbing and polishing, and all the little nitty gritties - touch ups, and all else - are, if I dare to say so, better than A.S.S work. I haven't gotten bodywork done before at a Mercedes workshop (thankfully, have had no accidents before this one), but every time I have had work done at a Maruti/Hyundai/Honda workshop, it has been much lower in quality and finish.

In fact, apart from the core damage repair, a lot of more pending work was done once the car was opened up. Major work done:

- Front bumper replaced
- Front right indicator light assembly replaced
- Denting and damage repair around the area
- Painting of bumper rails (the center insert on the bumper) matt black instead of the original light grey. Front and back.
- Full body rubbing, polish and wax
- Polishing of chrome bits and three pointed star hood ornament
- Touching up visible spots / scratches and OVRMS (the inside black color)
- New number plate (front)
- Interior drycleaning and polishing, complete
- Cleaning of internal areas, water channels, under the hood/boot, etc.
- Interior cleaning of headlights. Adds loads of character to the car (see before/after pics)

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-ba.jpg

The car now looks spanking new. It's surprising that 15 year old paint can shine so much, and the contrast bumpers + clean white headlights and polished chrome make the car a delight to look at.

Now for the shock - Total damages? Approximately 16k. Yes, you heard that right
Quality of work? Personally supervised and more than satisfactory.

A big shout to Viraat13 (and his father, Mr. Arvind) for helping me source parts at brilliant prices, find the right guys to work on my car, introduce me to all the experienced mechanics I'll ever need, and giving me tons of useful knowledge about the car. Mr. Arvind is not only really passionate about his 124, but knows everything under the hood and keeps her like she's one year old at the very most. To be honest, his car gives me a complex!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th May 2012 at 13:14.
Old 13th May 2012, 08:55   #73
BHPian

Here is another attempt to post photos of my 124!

Old 24th May 2012, 13:29   #74
BHPian

Guys needed some Help; I am in Pune and I have a E220..

My Aux Fan [AC Fan] is not working; the AC is cooling but in the day time since this fan is not working the cooling is not too great;

I checked all the wires from the aux fan; eliminated the fan by pulling it direct from battery

On the relay front; the AUX relay seemed doubtfull so ordered a piece and waiting for it to come

But somewhere i read that the fan comes on based on the pressure of the Freon/AC gas.. Is this true?

So i need to just check the AC level and refill if required; I am in Dhanori.. any good place you would recommend??

Deepak

PS: What is confusing me is the Fan Relay# A 0025420119 is the same as the Fuel pump relay; i hope i have not ordered a wrong piece as the Fan relay cover was burnt and i am now doubtfull whether my previous owner just put a dummy cover and hence confused me.. Any help would be great

Last edited by DeepakMenon : 24th May 2012 at 13:31.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Guys needed some Help; I am in Pune and I have a E220..

My Aux Fan [AC Fan] is not working; the AC is cooling but in the day time since this fan is not working the cooling is not too great;

I checked all the wires from the aux fan; eliminated the fan by pulling it direct from battery

On the relay front; the AUX relay seemed doubtfull so ordered a piece and waiting for it to come

But somewhere i read that the fan comes on based on the pressure of the Freon/AC gas.. Is this true?

So i need to just check the AC level and refill if required; I am in Dhanori.. any good place you would recommend??

Deepak

PS: What is confusing me is the Fan Relay# A 0025420119 is the same as the Fuel pump relay; i hope i have not ordered a wrong piece as the Fan relay cover was burnt and i am now doubtfull whether my previous owner just put a dummy cover and hence confused me.. Any help would be great
The aux fan has a resistor behind the left head light, check that. And, there is a red colour fan actuation sensor just beside the a/c/eveporator with two connection on top. If you connector these two wires (bypassing the sensor) the fan should run. If both of them dont work, the problem could be the power supply line running behind the ABS unit. Good luck.....

on the relay, it should be behind the fuse box with two green coloured relays and one white colour one. the green ones have fuses and it would be worth checking them.

Another could be the OVP relay found in (E220), hope you know this one...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks