Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 12:44   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Thanks for the advise. But can somebody please tell me how to find out if the radiator is steel or copper
Ask the radiator repair man.
Old 27th August 2013, 13:09   #452
BHPian

Radiator is aluminum not copper or steel; a good welder with tig welding machine can refurbish a aluminum raditor however finding such guys in India is a pain

Where is the leak?

Electric Drain: is a wild goose chase; have you checked your alternator? what if it is not charging well and you are chasing a drain??
Old 27th August 2013, 14:02   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Radiator is aluminum not copper or steel; a good welder with tig welding machine can refurbish a aluminum radiator however finding such guys in India is a pain

Where is the leak?

Electric Drain: is a wild goose chase; have you checked your alternator? what if it is not charging well and you are chasing a drain??

Thats true. ask 100 people they all would have different answers. I will have the alternator checked. I also have a new N10 Relay will fit that for sure. Also replaced the OVP relay today morning I have 10 original MB OVP relays my bro got them from UAE.

He is now banging his head with the car now.

Found a new radiator for 7.5k will be getting it in a weeks time.

Last edited by manikjeet : 27th August 2013 at 14:16.
Old 27th August 2013, 15:10   #454
BHPian

10 OVP.. LOL; now i know who to catch if i need one

Go with a new radiator and forget about the issue for a long long time

While you are replacing the radiator; do check water pump; thermostat

Alternate check can be done by a multimeter yourself
Old 27th August 2013, 15:14   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get the radiator serviced. In Delhi, they take the radiator out, unsolder the top and bottom tanks, clean the tanks, check the pipes for leaks and seal them. They also check pipes for blockage and clean that if feasible. Then they assemble the radiator and check it for leaks. This assumes that your radiator is copper and not steel. Once done the radiator is good enough for at least five years of trouble free service.
Just to add a point, personally speaking, I'd never get the radiator opened up if it was not leaking. Probably one of the silliest things to do is to open up a factory sealed radiator to clean it up. Much smarter to use a radiator flush and move on with life.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:12   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
10 OVP.. LOL; now i know who to catch if i need one
Go with a new radiator and forget about the issue for a long long time
While you are replacing the radiator; do check water pump; thermostat
Alternate check can be done by a multimeter yourself
Sir you can always tell me if you need it I would send one ASAP.

I thought the same I will be getting the radiator by next week. Just love new Parts for the car.

will be bypassing the Thermostat.

Will check today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Just to add a point, personally speaking, I'd never get the radiator opened up if it was not leaking. Probably one of the silliest things to do is to open up a factory sealed radiator to clean it up. Much smarter to use a radiator flush and move on with life.

I would do the same.

Should we try to open my busted one just to check it out.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:20   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Of course you should. You don't have much to lose! Only, in my experience a fixed radiator never lasts much, so do it as a temporary or last resort. Hopefully it should be fine.

Please do ensure that you do a complete radiator flush once the leak has been fixed. Running on pure water means that there is potential for a lot of rust build up where ever the water has been.

Also, I used coolant + RO or bottled water for the radiator as tap water has salts etc in it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:28   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Sir you can always tell me if you need it I would send one ASAP.

I thought the same I will be getting the radiator by next week. Just love new Parts for the car.

will be bypassing the Thermostat.

Will check today.

The easiet way to check a thermostat is put in a jar of water and heat it up; observe the temp and note and what temp it opens up; if it does not even at 90 degree or so you have a busted thermostat

I would do the same.

Bypassing Thermostat is not the smartest thing to do

Thermostat does a very important function of staying closed and not letting coolant circulate throughout the system unless the cylinder/head has reached its optimum temperature. If you by pass the thermostat then your car will take longer to get to optimum temperature with no benefit to overall reduction in temperature while running; and if you are in cold place it will take forever

If you think your thermostat is a problem, pull it out and test it or better still replace it; there are wide variety of MB thermostat available which open at various degrees
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:17   #459
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

I did the Test on the Sunday.

If I check from the Negative terminal then I have a current draw of 12.4 V with car closed. If I remove all the fused and relays then The car shows a draw of approx 9-9.5 V at rest.

Now I very much tensed with this behavior of the betz.

What can cause such a huge battery drain if every thing is removed. What I will be doing as I am unable to fix is that I will install a Master Battery Kill Switch on the negative Terminal and live happily and Also will give me security from vehicle theft. Is it advisable. Please help me cure Betz I cannot see her like this.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:24   #460
Senior - BHPian

Was checking my car today and I notice that my power steering reservoir was a little wet with oil.
On closer inspection I found that the pump was not wet and only the top nut(the one with rubber on it was wet and rest was a steady down flow. It was like it was doing it for long and had little dust on it. so it wasn't new.
Checked the level and it was fine a little above the mark. and I have screwed the nut to full extent.

My question is can these nut leak oil.
Old 7th September 2013, 15:54   #461
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

I did the Test on the Sunday.

If I check from the Negative terminal then I have a current draw of 12.4 V with car closed. If I remove all the fused and relays then The car shows a draw of approx 9-9.5 V at rest.

Now I very much tensed with this behavior of the betz.

What can cause such a huge battery drain if every thing is removed. What I will be doing as I am unable to fix is that I will install a Master Battery Kill Switch on the negative Terminal and live happily and Also will give me security from vehicle theft. Is it advisable. Please help me cure Betz I cannot see her like this.
Why don't you do this test again, but this time, remove the fuses one by one to see which circuit is causing the drain. It will help you isolate the problem. Let us know what you find, then we can put our heads together and figure it out further.

No point installing a master kill switch, as you'll have to do all the settings of the stereo time and time again. A major pain in the butt if you ask me.

Quote:
Was checking my car today and I notice that my power steering reservoir was a little wet with oil.
On closer inspection I found that the pump was not wet and only the top nut(the one with rubber on it was wet and rest was a steady down flow. It was like it was doing it for long and had little dust on it. so it wasn't new.
Checked the level and it was fine a little above the mark. and I have screwed the nut to full extent.

Either the reservoir was too full, or the rubber gasket is torn. Take a clean rag and soak out some of the oil and bring it down to the proper level. This should be done in the morning after the car has cooled down. Whenever you open or close this, use both your hands and hold on to the lid with one while unscrewing the nut, as if you let the lid rotate, the rubber ring inside will surely get cut and then cause leaks.
If this doesn't solve your problem, you might have to get all the rubber rings in the power steering pump replaced. A kit is usually available with all the rubber rings etc that are needed.
Old 8th September 2013, 22:36   #462

Quote:

Hey Manikjeet, am also a W124 owner from Chandigarh. It would be great if you we could do a quick meet-up one of these days to look at the each others cars, share notes on maintenance and best sources available for upkeep in Chandigarh and a general catch-up. Don't think I have the option to send you a PM. Send me a PM if you can or let me know and I'll send my telephone number across. Hope to see you and your ride soon.
Old 9th September 2013, 09:49   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right View Post
Hey Manikjeet, am also a W124 owner from Chandigarh. It would be great if you we could do a quick meet-up one of these days to look at the each others cars, share notes on maintenance and best sources available for upkeep in Chandigarh and a general catch-up. Don't think I have the option to send you a PM. Send me a PM if you can or let me know and I'll send my telephone number across. Hope to see you and your ride soon.
Hey Man

Nice to meet a fellow W124 owner. I am always available.

You can call me Up my Number is Eight Two Eight Eight Eight Eight Eight Three Three Three
Old 9th September 2013, 11:52   #464

Dear all, With a heavy heart I have finally decided to let go of my prized posession the W124 E 230 1991 model which is in pristine condition.The car belonged to the US Vice consul in Mumbai and had imported the car from Germany to japan where she was posted hence the RHD variant.I am looking for an enthusiastic person with the same kind of passion and fervour to take care of her as I did or even better.The car was registered in Mumbai in 2008 so the car is all passed upto 2023 so the green tax is not payable till then.She is in excellent condition and having the original paint still.no rust whatsoever and all electricals and A/c and suspension are in perfect order.Just replaced the engine mountings and gearbox mountings.So if anyone is interested in acquiring this beauty please pm me .
Old 9th September 2013, 18:20   #465
BHPian

Guys

I need 2 parts for my 1994 E300 D

1) Rear Bumper - Now this has been shunted from the rear by bikes during city runs so badly that it no longer can be stitched together. Definitely needs replacement
2) Wing Mirror bases - Both sides the wing mirror bases have disintegrated and I am unable to locate any locally.

If someone is able to help me procure these in Mumbai (or any other part of India) and courier them to me, I will be extremely grateful

Kindly PM me and we can discuss further about financials et al.

I have procured a third brake light which sits on the rear parcel tray. This should help reduce useless bikes who have rammed my car from the rear increase visibility of the vehicle braking. Shall upload pictures once it is fitted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks