Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2015, 18:07   #1411
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Don't know if this is the right thread to discuss the following topic. My Ford Classic 1.4L TDCi underwent the last oil change on 24th of December 2014 when the odometer reading was around 5200. Today when I checked the engine oil dipstick it was found that more than half of the oil has been used up and the odometer now stands at 9800. The snap showing the dipstick with oil level is attached below. The next oil change is due on 25th of June 2015. Will the car run the remaining two months with the current oil level or should I go for a topup? Is this amount of oil consumption normal or should I get in touch with the FASS?

All about diesel engine oils-01.jpg
Old 8th April 2015, 18:22   #1412
Senior - BHPian

You can continue driving without any issues as long as the oil level is above the minimum mark on the dipstick. See your manual for confirmation.

However, as a precaution just check below the car for signs of leakage. If there is a leak, then please take it to the Ford service center.
Old 8th April 2015, 18:37   #1413
Team-BHP Support

Did you check the oil level after change? Now assuming that it was till full, yes half mark is ok for another 1000-2000 kms, ie if there is not further abrupt drops. Mind you that is half mark between Max and Min oil levels required for the engine and NOT the half the quantity of the oil required.
Old 8th April 2015, 21:16   #1414
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
The next oil change is due on 25th of June 2015. Will the car run the remaining two months with the current oil level or should I go for a topup? Is this amount of oil consumption normal or should I get in touch with the FASS?
Hope you checked the level when the engine was cold!

Since the leven is at half which is OK for driving around till the next service, my only concern is there any leakage or do you notice any white smoke while driving around?!

For the next few days check the level after the drive once the engine is cold. If you see the level dropping, then first top-up and take it to FASS for diagnosis. If the level remains same then nothing much to worry.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th April 2015 at 21:17.
Old 8th April 2015, 22:00   #1415
BANNED

I had my Fabia serviced at the Bosch service station. The technician filled synthetic oil from a Bosch barrel.
I wonder what grade it was.
I will ensure I use Delvac 1 the next time.
Old 9th April 2015, 09:00   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
You can continue driving without any issues as long as the oil level is above the minimum mark on the dipstick. However, as a precaution just check below the car for signs of leakage.
There are no signs of leak mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you check the oil level after change? Now assuming that it was till full, yes half mark is ok for another 1000-2000 kms, ie if there is not further abrupt drops.
Yeah I did. Right after returning from FASS I checked the oil level and it was touching the MAX mark. They even changed the oil and oil filet in my presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hope you checked the level when the engine was cold! Since the leven is at half which is OK for driving around till the next service, my only concern is there any leakage or do you notice any white smoke while driving around?!
Yesterday when I clicked the pic, the car was not on perfectly level ground. Clicked this one today morning.

All about diesel engine oils-01.jpg

Considering the fact that the car has done almost 4600 kms since the last oil change, is the present level of oil consumption acceptable? Also I checked the oil level when the engine had warmed up (still idling) and noticed that the dipstick funnel was emitting smoke just like shown in the video.

Is this normal for diesel engines? The exhaust doesn't emit any smoke while idling. I've taken good care of my ride till date and never ever abused her by over-revving or driving rashly. I'm really concerned about the present condition guys :(
Old 9th April 2015, 10:07   #1417
Team-BHP Support

Oil consumption seems to be just about ok. But keep a watch every 1000 kms so you have an idea if it is steady or increasing.

The blow by issue seems to be very common, so unless there is a huge drop in oil level or performance drop with the engine i wouldn't bother.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:11   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Considering the fact that the car has done almost 4600 kms since the last oil change, is the present level of oil consumption acceptable? Also I checked the oil level when the engine had warmed up (still idling) and noticed that the dipstick funnel was emitting smoke just like shown in the video.
Is this normal for diesel engines? The exhaust doesn't emit any smoke while idling. I've taken good care of my ride till date and never ever abused her by over-revving or driving rashly. I'm really concerned about the present condition guys :(
Seems like a case of compression blow by.It's not a good sign as your car is consuming oil too else smoke coming through the dip stick funnel can be due to blocked crankcase ventilation.But what's puzzling is you dont see any smoke from the exhaust.I presume the Tdci doesn't have an intercooler too.I suggest you visit the FASS ASAP.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th April 2015 at 10:13.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:05   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I did. Right after returning from FASS I checked the oil level and it was touching the MAX mark. They even changed the oil and oil filet in my presence.
Did you see MAX mark immediately after filling of oil or after running engine for a minute and then shutting it down ?

Usually some amount of oil goes in the filter approximately 200 - 400 ml depending on filter size. Always fit the new oil filter first then fill the oil till max mark then again crank the engine run for a minute and then check the level and top up till max.

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th April 2015 at 11:09.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:59   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The blow by issue seems to be very common, so unless there is a huge drop in oil level or performance drop with the engine i wouldn't bother.
The performance and FE of the car is pristine, I came to notice this issue only because I looked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Seems like a case of compression blow by.It's not a good sign as your car is consuming oil too else smoke coming through the dip stick funnel can be due to blocked crankcase ventilation.
Is the condition pretty serious? Are there any checks that I can run so that I can confirm the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Did you see MAX mark immediately after filling of oil or after running engine for a minute and then shutting it down ?
After shutting down the engine buddy.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:10   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The performance and FE of the car is pristine, I came to notice this issue only because I looked for it.
Considering the fact that your car is in fine running condition with good fuel efficiency and that your engine oil level is not as low as earlier thought, I think you've got nothing to worry about. You can show the service center the blow by in your next scheduled service appointment.
Old 16th April 2015, 19:59   #1422
BHPian

Hello

I drive Octavia 1.9TDI Elegance and been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W- 40. However, my current Garage is recommending that I shift to Gulf Formula GX.

Should I change or stick to Shell? What are the pros and cons?

Regards
Old 29th April 2015, 19:46   #1423
BHPian

Re: swift VDi Synthetic Oil?

The SA at Mandovi is recommending 'Shell Helix', when i asked him about 'Mobil Delvac 1' for my swift VDi. Is Helix better or should I stick with 'Delvac 1'?

What would you guys say? Please advise.
Old 29th April 2015, 20:00   #1424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The SA at Mandovi is recommending 'Shell Helix', when i asked him about 'Mobil Delvac 1' for my swift VDi. Is Helix better or should I stick with 'Delvac 1'?

I am using Shell Helix 5W40 on my Swift ZDi since 1.4 years and 43K kms. No issues and it feels good overall.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:07   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Re: swift VDi Synthetic Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Its not a fair comparison. Shell Helix Diesel is a mineral Oil and Delvac 1 is synthetic. Both are good in their respective segments.

Shell Helix Ultra is a synthetic but not recommended for Diesel. Its a Gasoline spec oil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks