Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2015, 21:29   #1366
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Hello folks,

My punto 90HP has done 67K km and the last oil change was at 60K (done at ASC). The engine oil level (on the dip stick) has gone down a bit but is well above the minimum mark. I am thinking Shell Helix 15w40 semi synthetic at Rs.1600/4l would be good. Any downsides to this? Tried finding Mobil delvac but none of the 10+ stores that I enquired at, had it, in Mysore.

Further, if there's anything that's been tried and tested (because I want to stick to a brand) for MJDs, could someone please enlighten me?
When is the next service? Is it at 70K?

If yes, the odometer being at 67K which is 3K less why change oil note and change it again at 70K?

If the oil level is between 'MIN' and 'MAX' there is nothing to worry. Do NOT change the oil.

Shell Helix 15W40 is no problem for MJD. You can use it.
Old 7th February 2015, 21:37   #1367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When is the next service? Is it at 70K?

If yes, the odometer being at 67K which is 3K less why change oil note and change it again at 70K?

If the oil level is between 'MIN' and 'MAX' there is nothing to worry. Do NOT change the oil.

Shell Helix 15W40 is no problem for MJD. You can use it.

Nope it's at 75k (15K interval). The mech indeed mentioned there's nothing to worry about the level but he said the oil is almost nearing its end-of-life (not really sure what made him say this) it would be better if replaced. Given that he knows am gonna source the oil for him and he wouldn't make a profit out of it, I trusted him and went searching for Mobil delvac.

P.S: The oil has turned black which is normal. It left a stain on my finger (again not sure whether it should or shouldn't )
Old 7th February 2015, 22:09   #1368
BANNED

Quote:

Nope it's at 75k (15K interval).

P.S: The oil has turned black which is normal. It left a stain on my finger (again not sure whether it should or shouldn't)
Since you are at it, so source the oil filter too, won't cost you much IMO. Change both the oil and the filter.
Old 8th February 2015, 00:33   #1369
BHPian

Thanks Anurag! Bought Shell Helix HX7 10w40 and of course the oil filter!All about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423335457.193385.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423335470.065871.jpg

Interestingly, it says:
All about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1423335722.872672.jpg

I'll keep you guys posted on how this behaves/makes the engine behave.
Old 8th February 2015, 08:22   #1370
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Hello folks,

My punto 90HP has done 67K km and the last oil change was at 60K (done at ASC). Just happened to check how the engine oil is when I was getting the engine bay and interiors cleaned. The engine oil level (on the dip stick) has gone down a bit but is well above the minimum mark. The mech suggested I have it changed. I am thinking Shell Helix 15w40 semi synthetic at Rs.1600/4l would be good. Any downsides to this? Tried finding Mobil delvac but none of the 10+ stores that I enquired at, had it, in Mysore.

Further, if there's anything that's been tried and tested (because I want to stick to a brand) for MJDs, could someone please enlighten me?
I have been using the Shell Helix HX5 Diesel 15W 40 in my Verna CRDI. Its a good oil just like any other good mineral oil. When you buy from a Shell station, you are at least assured of an original. If you want synthetic, why don't you try the MGDO synthetic oil that is being used in MJD cars by Maruti. You should get it in Maruti ASCs. Coming to Delvac1, I have seen it listed online in the Fiat store - 99rpm.com
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 21:15   #1371
BHPian

Well, I got the HX7-10w40 poured into the engine. Bought a 3.5L pack at INR.1500/-.
Got the engine flushed with a BG product before the oil change.
I have been driving it for 2 days now and the immediate difference that I can notice is that the heat gauge in the instrument cluster reaches the half way mark and stays there (from zero/bottom) sooner than it used to before. I clearly remember it would take ~5 km for it reach there earlier. With the AC on, it only takes 2 km now.

I know it's not a problem as long as it doesn't cross the half way mark, but should I be concerned about how fast it reaches there?
Old 9th February 2015, 22:22   #1372
BANNED

Quote:
I clearly remember it would take ~5 km for it reach there earlier. With the AC on, it only takes 2 km now.

I know it's not a problem as long as it doesn't cross the half way mark, but should I be concerned about how fast it reaches there?
It depends on the outside air temperature. In winters the car takes longer time + distance to reach the 'halfway mark' whereas in summers it happens fasters keeping the driving style constant at both times!

Nothing to be worried. Enjoy the car!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 22:22   #1373
BHPian

@Driving_Nomad I own a Punto 75BHP. I have never availed the services of any mechanics outside the Authorized Workshops. A few days back i decided the get my now overdue service done outside who i know personally.
I was also wanting the go for the Shell Helix HX7-10w40.
However I am still not sure if I should go ahead since the dealer uses Petronas 5W-40 which is not available in the market.

Any advise/suggestions are welcome.
Old 9th February 2015, 23:51   #1374
Senior - BHPian

If the punto 75HP's manual states that a lubricant that "meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2" would do, then use the Shell Helix HX7 10W40 ( http://www.shell.in/products-service...hx7-10w40.html )

Else, get the ( http://www.shell.in/products-service...h-4-15w40.html ) or similar API-CH4+ rated engine oil.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 01:25   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nothing to be worried. Enjoy the car!
Thanks Anurag! But Nitrous' post quoted below makes me think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
@Driving_Nomad I own a Punto 75BHP. I have never availed the services of any mechanics outside the Authorized Workshops. A few days back i decided the get my now overdue service done outside who i know personally.
I was also wanting the go for the Shell Helix HX7-10w40.
However I am still not sure if I should go ahead since the dealer uses Petronas 5W-40 which is not available in the market.
Any advise/suggestions are welcome.
Given that you know the guy personally and trust him, I would say there wouldn't be any problem. I have till date not got any of my cars/bikes serviced outside the authorized service centre, apart from this one where I just got the oil changed. The only downside I'd see with getting it serviced outside the A.S.C network is the availability of spares over the counter.

Before you buy the oil, please make sure you go through the manual and see what is specified/required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
If the punto 75HP's manual states that a lubricant that "meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2" would do, then use the Shell Helix HX7 10W40 ( http://www.shell.in/products-service...hx7-10w40.html )

Else, get the ( http://www.shell.in/products-service...h-4-15w40.html ) or similar API-CH4+ rated engine oil.
Thanks! I checked and the Fiat 9.55535-G2 specification (that alone) is for gasoline engines. However, the HX7 also complying with A3/B4, it definitely can be used on diesel engines.
What remains now is to check the manual as you mentioned.
Driving_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 09:52   #1376
BHPian

The dealership here in Chandigarh uses Petronas Selenia WR 5W-40, on checking with the Petronas website it is made for "FIAT Multijet Diesel Engines"
Ill go through the manual too.
This oil is not available in the open market so I just ordered it from the Fiat store 99rpm.com, Ill wait for it to be delivered and the proceed with the service. Ill purchase the filter from the open market.
Old 16th February 2015, 12:13   #1377
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning to get my Punto(MJD) serviced with a non FIAT service centre. He is suggesting mobil delvac 1300 super 15w40. I believe this is a mineral oil. Is it fine to go from Semi Syn to mineral without any engine flush.

Also does anybody know a retailer in Noida where i can find mobil delvac 1?
saurabh041086 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 19:04   #1378
BHPian

Engine flush is not required but don't shift to mineral oil, try Shell helix it's available at Shell fuel outlets.
Old 17th February 2015, 22:35   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning to get my Punto(MJD) serviced with a non FIAT service centre. He is suggesting mobil delvac 1300 super 15w40. I believe this is a mineral oil. Is it fine to go from Semi Syn to mineral without any engine flush.

Also does anybody know a retailer in Noida where i can find mobil delvac 1?
I know one in Faridabad. Do let me know if you want one. My office is in Noida.
Old 17th February 2015, 22:54   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Engine flush is not required but don't shift to mineral oil, try Shell helix it's available at Shell fuel outlets.
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I know one in Faridabad. Do let me know if you want one. My office is in Noida.
Thanks Mandy. Can you please im me your contact number. I will catch up of the thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks