Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 10:49   #1336
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

[quote=auto_enthusiast;3571417As seen on the can, it meets and exceeds requirements of API SN, ACEA A3/B4.[/quote]
This is an oil for Petrol engines. What is the Diesel rating - it will be C-<something>.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:21   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Hi all

My 30k run Figo TDCi is due for service shortly. Ford recommends SAE 5W-30 semi-synthetic oil for Figo Diesel. Last week I purchased castrol magnatec 5W-30 part-synthetic(still to use it). As seen on the can, it meets and exceeds requirements of API SN, ACEA A3/B4.

Any insights on this, with respect to, the specifications would be very helpful.

Thanks
AECA A3/B4 => B4 indicates diesel rating as per AECA. [link:http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php]. There is no API diesel rating for this oil as you have put up.
Old 4th November 2014, 23:12   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This is an oil for Petrol engines. What is the Diesel rating - it will be C-<something>.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
AECA A3/B4 => B4 indicates diesel rating as per AECA. [link:http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php]. There is no API diesel rating for this oil as you have put up.
Regarding the diesel rating, there's nothing else mentioned on the can. But it clearly indicates for use in petrol, CNG and for diesel engines with turbo, with or without intercoolers. Whereas in the service booklet it mentions API CD/CE/CF4; SAE 5W-30. Please advise whether I should go for Castrol magnatec 5W-30 Part-synthetic or for some other oil.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:59   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the diesel rating, there's nothing else mentioned on the can. But it clearly indicates for use in petrol, CNG and for diesel engines with turbo, with or without intercoolers. Whereas in the service booklet it mentions API CD/CE/CF4; SAE 5W-30. Please advise whether I should go for Castrol magnatec 5W-30 Part-synthetic or for some other oil.
I'm not sure even if Castrol Magnatec is rated above CF. Check your car manual. If the oil specification is CH or above, theoretically it rules out most of the high end synthetic and semi synthetic oils
Old 5th November 2014, 12:27   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
I own a swift VDI and have never used this particular oil in my 67k running. But, have used Shell HX6 Diesel (synthetic blend) - CH4, Petronas Urania - CH4, Shell Rimula - CI4, Petronas Mach 5 Diesel - CH4. All good oils with 15W40 rating. Change interval around 5-6k.

Have read that AECA tests are more stringent compared to API, as someone told above check your manual if they specify that the oil need to be having a mandatory API seal. Invite oil expert's comments on this.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 12:37   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the diesel rating, there's nothing else mentioned on the can.
I think this is the ford specific oil; for the tdci any CF+ will do.

Many Ford owners scouted for this ford specific Castrol Magnatec 5W30 diesel oil(semi-synth) and it was said that castrol sells it only in drums for supplying to Ford service centers.

how did you source this?
Old 5th November 2014, 21:00   #1342
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is anyone using Mobil Delvac 1 in Verna 1.6 CRDi ? If yes, then how is the performance and the NVH levels, My car has done close to 7000 kms and I am planning to switch to synthetic oil.
Old 6th November 2014, 07:15   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I think this is the ford specific oil; for the tdci any CF+ will do.

Many Ford owners scouted for this ford specific Castrol Magnatec 5W30 diesel oil(semi-synth) and it was said that castrol sells it only in drums for supplying to Ford service centers.

how did you source this?
Just saw on Castrol India's website, it mentions the Castrol Magnatec 5W30 to meet these specifications: API SN/CF ACEA A3/B4 whereas on the oil can CF was not mentioned. Since CF is rated above CD/CE/CF4, I think its OK to go ahead with this oil.

It's available off the shelf at all the automobile stores. I purchased it in a can of 3.5L and 0.5L.

Here's the link http://www.castrolmagnatec.co.in/oil....aspx#oilRange

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 6th November 2014 at 07:41.
Old 21st November 2014, 10:36   #1344
BHPian

Help solicited from Team Bhpians,
I live in a place where you get only Castrol Engine Oil. My grandfather owns a Swift(old) Diesel. MASS Dealer workshops charge a lot here. So he wants to buy Engine Oil from Castrol dealer and put it at a trusted garage. My query is - Is GTX 15w40 suited for the old swift Diesel? I have checked the Castrol website and it says-
Castrol GTX 15w40
1.Suited for use in vehicles where manufacturer recommends CH4 or earlier.
2.Viscometrics SAE 15w40
3.Technical Specifications-
API SF/CC
SAE 20w40
How can a engine oil have different viscometrics and different technical specs?
Is this possible? Engine oil experts please enlighten us.
Old 21st November 2014, 13:03   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Dear Adit Mishra,

There are two oils fom Castrol , Castrol GTX 20W50 and Castrol GTX Diesel.
You are looking at Castrol GTX 20W50 on website which is a petrol engine oil.
Also seems web site designers had no idea about any of the specification so
they have mixed up nicely

Please click on the Castrol GTX Diesel tab on the website on the same page and then check.

For Swift you need Castrol GTX Diesel which is 15W50 API-CH4
Same 1.3 engine from Tata motors runs fine on this so there is no reason to hesitate.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
Help solicited from Team Bhpians,
I live in a place where you get only Castrol Engine Oil. My grandfather owns a Swift(old) Diesel. MASS Dealer workshops charge a lot here. So he wants to buy Engine Oil from Castrol dealer and put it at a trusted garage. My query is - Is GTX 15w40 suited for the old swift Diesel? I have checked the Castrol website and it says-
Castrol GTX 15w40
1.Suited for use in vehicles where manufacturer recommends CH4 or earlier.
2.Viscometrics SAE 15w40
3.Technical Specifications-
API SF/CC
SAE 20w40
How can a engine oil have different viscometrics and different technical specs?
Is this possible? Engine oil experts please enlighten us.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 17:39   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Dear Adit Mishra,

There are two oils fom Castrol , Castrol GTX 20W50 and Castrol GTX Diesel.
You are looking at Castrol GTX 20W50 on website which is a petrol engine oil.
Also seems web site designers had no idea about any of the specification so
they have mixed up nicely

Please click on the Castrol GTX Diesel tab on the website on the same page and then check.

For Swift you need Castrol GTX Diesel which is 15W50 API-CH4
Same 1.3 engine from Tata motors runs fine on this so there is no reason to hesitate.

Regards
Thanks amit26k, I have seen the tag on GTX-specially recommended for TATA cars. Perhaps a goof up by web designers. But can you please check their INDIA page? You will surely notice the anomaly there. I will be going ahead with Castrol GTX 15w40 as no other good company-Shell/Mobil1/PETRONAS is available here. I personally wanted to use the fames Mobil Delvac for my Ritz Diesel.
Old 21st November 2014, 19:30   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally wanted to use the fames Mobil Delvac for my Ritz Diesel.
adit.mishra - check is this helps:

http://www.99rpm.com/tata/oils-fluids/engine-oil.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 22:13   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
adit.mishra - check is this helps:

http://www.99rpm.com/tata/oils-fluids/engine-oil.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Sorry, I meant the famed Mobil 1 Delvac. That is one great page you recommended. But has anyone tried out purchasing Engine oils online? Please advice friends. 99rpm seems to be a great place to buy engine oils. Only concerned about the authenticity of engine oils.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:24   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the famed Mobil 1 Delvac. That is one great page you recommended. But has anyone tried out purchasing Engine oils online? Please advice friends. 99rpm seems to be a great place to buy engine oils. Only concerned about the authenticity of engine oils.
Apart from authenticity I do not see any API CH4 or higher oil (CI / CI+) at 99rpm.
I see your location as Bhuvneswar and it's a pretty big place. As with any other Indian city there should be some market for auto spares where trucks / earthmover buy spares and oil.

You can easily get Castrol GTX Diesel or Shell Rimula R4 ( CI+). Heavy Diesel engines such as JCB / Earthmovers need CI grade oil.

Last edited by amitk26 : 25th November 2014 at 11:48.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 11:45   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Please check this:
http://www.justdial.com/Bhubaneshwar...3E-bhubaneswar
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks