Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 19:02   #1291
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Toyota always claims that filling anything but it's own engine oil will have adverse effects on the engine. They even have placards placed on the reception floor - advertising the ill-effects of non-Toyota brand engine oils.
Total Poppycock, as long as the oil meets or exceeds their specs there is no issue. Once out of warranty ask them to go for a walk. Also, maybe take some pics and forward them to MRTPC. Make noise on this restrictive monopolistic practice, maybe someone will listen.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 06:52   #1292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Thanks for the input mate. As I mentioned earlier, the A.S.C will be using semi-synthetic oil as per the service personnel, but I've read that its better to use mineral oil for the first 10,000 kms.
Sitck with the manufacturers recos for the warranty. Also, semi-synth is perfectly fine, as in fact is the Magnatec.
Old 21st July 2014, 07:57   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sitck with the manufacturers recos for the warranty. Also, semi-synth is perfectly fine, as in fact is the Magnatec.
Though the manual recommends changing the oil at 10,000 kms/6 months, the service personnel told that it would be better if I change it during the first free service i.e 5000 kms/3 months. Right now I'm thinking of going for the latter as 6 months sounds too long a period to keep the 'run-in' oil in the engine.
Old 22nd July 2014, 11:42   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Though the manual recommends changing the oil at 10,000 kms/6 months, the service personnel told that it would be better if I change it during the first free service i.e 5000 kms/3 months. Right now I'm thinking of going for the latter as 6 months sounds too long a period to keep the 'run-in' oil in the engine.
As far as change of oil is concerned, change it as per the manual recommendations. At the time of 5000 service you can opt for having a top-up of engine oil in case it is required. I personally thing changing the oil for every 5000 Kms is just for the sake of making money.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:03   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think we should move on my quest was to get a better oil then Castrol GTX Diesel ( API-CH4) I tried Shell Rimula R4 which is API CI+ but I found no significant reduction in NVH . Perhaps my engine was always well maintained so it was already at minimum NVH possible mechanically.
Hi Amit, I guess you've already selected and started using Shell Rimula R4. I wanted to suggest another mineral oil to you (link given below), but couldn't as I was an infrequent visitor to the forum in the past few weeks.

http://www.gscaltexindia.com/product_detail.aspx?PID=20

A friend of mine had used it in his Safari before he switched to Delvac 1, and was very happy with it. It is similar to the erstwhile Delo 400 oil sold by Chevron that was available in India till a couple of years back.

I'm not sure if it'll be easily available in Bangalore, but still, just FYI.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 19:09   #1296
BHPian

Guys,

I need some help here. I have a Figo TDCI and

1. Changed to Mobil Delvac 1 when the ODO was 35000kms. Now the ODO is at 39600kms and the amount of engine oil in the sump has reduced. i.e. whenIi use the dipstick to measure the quantity of the oil present in the oil sump, the reading is 2 notches below the FULL mark. Does this mean that the engine oil quantity is reducing due to usage or is there anyother problem?

2. Where can I buy Mobil Delvac 1 in Chennai?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 25th August 2014, 15:42   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Guys,

Changed to Mobil Delvac 1 when the ODO was 35000kms. Now the ODO is at 39600kms and the amount of engine oil in the sump has reduced. i.e. ........Does this mean that the engine oil quantity is reducing due to usage or is there anyother problem?
I know people who have used Mobil Delvac 1 for over 25000kms change interval without top-up. None have complained about reduced quantity due to usage. When I changed to Mobil Delvac 1 in my Tata-Aria the shopkeeper said he was willing to buy back empty carton, when I inquired what use was it to him, he just smiled!! I am sure engine oil adulteration is across brands and not limited only to Castrol. Is there a way one can check the quality of the engine oil in the sump? I know it is done for some heavy-duty industrial machinery.

Last edited by bijuiser : 25th August 2014 at 15:44.
Old 25th August 2014, 17:00   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Is there a way one can check the quality of the engine oil in the sump? I know it is done for some heavy-duty industrial machinery.
Why would one do the quality check when the oil is already in the sump and not before pouring it in?
Old 25th August 2014, 17:31   #1299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
1. Changed to Mobil Delvac 1 when the ODO was 35000kms. Now the ODO is at 39600kms and the amount of engine oil in the sump has reduced. i.e. whenIi use the dipstick to measure the quantity of the oil present in the oil sump, the reading is 2 notches below the FULL mark. Does this mean that the engine oil quantity is reducing due to usage or is there anyother problem?
Slight drop (100-200 ml) in level might be normal, esp if the last refill was at the border you would notice it more.
Old 25th August 2014, 23:47   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
When I changed to Mobil Delvac 1 in my Tata-Aria the shopkeeper said he was willing to buy back empty carton, when I inquired what use was it to him, he just smiled!! I am sure engine oil adulteration is across brands and not limited only to Castrol.
I would be very skeptical of buying from a gentleman who is offering to buy the empty case back and smiles upon enquiry , makes me think what he might have just given me
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 12:19   #1301
BHPian

Guys, my recently purchased Scorpio (2.2ltr MHawk) is approaching 1000kms. Should I do an oil change as suggested in some other threads, and if so what would you recommend I use. Seeking the best option from a long term reliability / engine life maximisation perspective, while also minimising NVH. Post 1000 kms I'm willing to stick to the manufacturer recommended intervals for oil changes, but wish to use the best available grade / type of oil.
Old 26th August 2014, 12:28   #1302
Senior - BHPian

The CCI decision may have some bearing on the corporate policy regarding which oil can be used, which way is to be seen.
Old 26th August 2014, 13:19   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Guys, my recently purchased Scorpio (2.2ltr MHawk) is approaching 1000kms. Should I do an oil change as suggested in some other threads, and if so what would you recommend I use. Seeking the best option from a long term reliability / engine life maximisation perspective, while also minimising NVH. Post 1000 kms I'm willing to stick to the manufacturer recommended intervals for oil changes, but wish to use the best available grade / type of oil.
For the Scorpio i would recommend to change oil every 10K kms.
20K interval on that oil is too much.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:40   #1304
Senior - BHPian

The ford asc filled some green stuff in the 1.4 tdci engine.

I presume this is the castrol magnatec ?
Old 14th September 2014, 17:15   #1305
BHPian

I am not able to find diesel specific synthetic engine oil, even on-line. Castrol edge 5w-40 is petrol specific (API- SN/CF) & is available with HASS here at a good price @ Rs 900/- a lit. HASS has also offered me to charge for 5.3 lit only what the car consumes. He has 3 no. of 4 lit. bottle in stock.

Has any one used Edge on diesel car & what's the advice? And what might be the effect when the oil is less than CH4 specification. I was surprised to find even Castrol Magnatec diesel oil is not CH4.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks