Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2014, 11:32   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Holy Grail of Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Shot this at a store recently.
This was elusive prior to 2011.
Yea, it was very elusive before. I have also got blank stares are a couple of shops when i went asking for it in 2011

BTW what was the cost of the can?
Old 30th January 2014, 12:44   #1187
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

5 Litre can
MRP of Mobil Delvac 1: Rs. 4400
I get a 10% discount. So, 3950.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:00   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How do you find the sound at 80 kmph @ 5th gear?
Anurag.
Any reason why are you specifically looking at 80kmph @5th gear. I get a resonant vibration at this speed since my 20k service. I am using Shell Helix HX7 semi-synthetic on my ZDI.

On a different note, Shell Helix Ultra and Mobil1 are both CF rated fully synthetic oil and have read two different views on them being used on diesel both in this forum and others.

Though Mobil1 is rated CF but it meets the FIAT specification (some F12*) on the FIAT MJD and so does Shell Helix Ultra. Mobil1 is the recommended oil on the Manza and now M.A.S.S is using it for the DDiS. Also saw a sticker on a few diesel Skodas (Laura and Octavia on the engine) recommending shell helix ultra.

One argument I heard is that CF & CI rating does not apply equally to synthetic as they do to minerals and as long as the oil meets the manufacturers' specification it is fine. There are lot of people who vouch by Mobil1 and Shell helix ultra for their diesel leaving me completely confused on this.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:10   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Shell Helix HX6 which is CF4 rated.
Just a correction. Shell Helix HX6 D is CH4, ACEA A3/B4.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:31   #1190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Any reason why are you specifically looking at 80kmph @5th gear. I get a resonant vibration at this speed since my 20k service. I am using Shell Helix HX7 semi-synthetic on my ZDI.
At 80 kmph @ 5th the engine is revving at 1980-2000 rpm which is the peak torque range and turbo spools up and moreover this is the average speed maintained on most of the highways so how the engine feel at that speeds is what I am concerned and IMO, I maintain those speeds most of the times on highway, hence enquired

My Swift ZDi is at 3500 kms (1 month 10 days old) and shall be getting it's first oil change after the 5K service as MASS is still adamant on 10K kms oil change and don't want to keep the oil for so long. I am thinking to fill in mineral oil.

Please help which oil and should I choose?!

Anurag.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:51   #1191
BHPian

Quote:

At 80 kmph @ 5th the engine is revving at 1980-2000 rpm which is the peak torque range and turbo spools up and moreover this is the average speed maintained on most of the highways so how the engine feel at that speeds is what I am concerned and IMO, I maintain those speeds most of the times on highway, hence enquired

My Swift ZDi is at 3500 kms (1 month 10 days old) and shall be getting it's first oil change after the 5K service as MASS is still adamant on 10K kms oil change and don't want to keep the oil for so long. I am thinking to fill in mineral oil.

Anurag.
Thanks.You can try shell HX6 Diesel as there are quite a few who vouch for it in this forum and outside.
Old 1st February 2014, 10:01   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Go for Mobil Delvac MX.
Old 1st February 2014, 13:10   #1193
BANNED

If I remeber correctly the New-generation Swift's come filled with synthetic oil so isn't it better to change to synthetic rathert than mineral?

Anurag.
Old 1st February 2014, 16:38   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I remeber correctly the New-generation Swift's come filled with synthetic oil so isn't it better to change to synthetic rathert than mineral?

Anurag.
Are you sure that swift comes factory filled with synthetic? I doubt

If its indeed synthetic then no need to change till 10k . You will just be draining out good oil

If it's mineral go for delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4 diesel both which has CH4 rating and above
Old 1st February 2014, 17:00   #1195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are you sure that swift comes factory filled with synthetic? I doubt

If its indeed synthetic then no need to change till 10k . You will just be draining out good oil

If it's mineral go for delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4 diesel both which has CH4 rating and above
The service advisor's themselves are in confusion as to what is filled from factory. This confusion is still there. Can someone confirm what comes with the car?

There should be some tests or ways to find whether the oil is Synthetic or Mineral!

Anurag.
Old 1st February 2014, 18:50   #1196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service advisor's themselves are in confusion as to what is filled from factory. This confusion is still there. Can someone confirm what comes with the car?

There should be some tests or ways to find whether the oil is Synthetic or Mineral!

Anurag.
AFAIK the new swift does not come with synthetic from factory . Maruthi does not fill synthetic in any of it's diesel cars from factory . So I doubt swift will get the special treatment. Besides it does not make sense to fill a different oil for swift while exiting assembly line. Maruthi uses a single diesel oil across all its diesel cars. So you can safely assume that what is filled is mineral .
Old 1st February 2014, 20:23   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

AFAIK the new swift does not come with synthetic from factory . Maruthi does not fill synthetic in any of it's diesel cars from factory . So I doubt swift will get the special treatment. Besides it does not make sense to fill a different oil for swift while exiting assembly line. Maruthi uses a single diesel oil across all its diesel cars. So you can safely assume that what is filled is mineral .
That was the case till they started sourcing engines from Fiat factory. M.A.S.S used to change oil at 1k service. Then a circular came from MSIL mentioning about the recommending no oil change at 1k for swifts after a certain VIN number. The circular was posted in the official swift review thread. I own a Zdi and was confirmed by maruti service masters about the same. I got my oil change at 10k. My close friends zdi had a vin before the circular and oil was changed at 1k.
Old 1st February 2014, 22:24   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was the case till they started sourcing engines from Fiat factory. M.A.S.S used to change oil at 1k service. Then a circular came from MSIL mentioning about the recommending no oil change at 1k for swifts after a certain VIN number. The circular was posted in the official swift review thread. I own a Zdi and was confirmed by maruti service masters about the same. I got my oil change at 10k. My close friends zdi had a vin before the circular and oil was changed at 1k.
Ya, but that not necessarily mean that the filled oil is synthetic. Even semi synths can be stretched till 10k. Was it mentioned in the circular that synthetic oil from the factory is responsible for changing the drain interval ?
Old 1st February 2014, 22:26   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
This is true. New units start off on synthetic oil and the changes is now at ten thousand kms intervals. My authorized service center claims to use castrol 5w40 oil, however this is from a bulk container and I have no verification for this except for trust. The oil is visually a bright green transparent liquid when fresh. I personally have switched to Mobil 1 0w40 for my oil burner Zdi at 20K after running on the above during the warranty period.
Old 1st February 2014, 23:21   #1200
BHPian

[quote=sagarpadaki;3359879 Even semi synths can be stretched till 10k. Was it mentioned in the circular that synthetic oil from the factory is responsible for changing the drain interval ?[/quote]
+1
Even in my 2008 Swift D which uses mineral oil service manual specifies oil change at 10K KM only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks