Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 17:13   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I too have had synthetic oil in my Ritz VDi from 30K kms till 1 lac kms. WHat I have noticed is the engine feels smooth and good till 9K post the oil change. But the last 1K kms is like a rough bus engine without oil.

I want to know whether you feel the same or no! I'll wait for the update!

Anurag.
I felt the same too.The last 1k felt very rough.The car used to idle like a tractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi BHPians

Time for an update from my end on the Delvac 1 brew for the DDIS heart

Filled at : 48400 km
Oil present in the car : Shell synthetic as claimed by Service centre
New oil filled : Mobil Delvac 1

It has been 500kms since the oil was replaced and I am loving the engine response

Summary of observations

1. Earlier - Sudden accelerations were always associated with a lot of engine noise
Now - Noise has completely subdued

2. Smoothness Earlier - Engine when fired up starts at around 950rpm and take 2 minute for the engine note to change and settle around 850 rpm
Now - Engine note changes in less than 75 secs and settles at 800 rpm

3. Low End driveability Earlier - On ramps when taken in second gear in my apartment it made a lot of engine noise
Now - Takes it easily and engine noise has subdued too

Shall keep updating as I keep logging more miles

Overall am very happy

Cheers
Sateesh,glad to note.I replaced the 10k run delvac 1 with the same.Done 1k post replacement.The engine sure feels smoother on delvac1. Henceforth sticking to Delvac 1 only.
Old 28th January 2014, 17:50   #1172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Henceforth sticking to Delvac 1 only.
I found Shell better than Mobil and. Castrol which I used in the Ritz.

The Swift is yet to see an oil change at ASC (3.5K kms done 1 month 10 days old)

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 21:47   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
+1
Shell oils superior to Castrol or Mobil oils of equivalent grade.
Old 28th January 2014, 22:16   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Swift is yet to see an oil change at ASC (3.5K kms done 1 month 10 days old)

Anurag.
Which shell oil and mobil oil are you comparing?
Old 28th January 2014, 22:30   #1175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which shell oil and mobil oil are you comparing?
These two oils are what I am comparing.

Shell - Helix Ultra 5W40

Mobil - Delvac 5W40

Anurag.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:00   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
Is Shell helix ultra diesel specific oil or can be used for both petrol and diesel?.Mobil Delvac is for diesels only.Shell oils are any day good.Using Shell in my Karizma
Old 29th January 2014, 09:28   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
How do you find the sound at 80 kmph @ 5th gear?

I want to know the smoothness after a hard drive and then how does the engine feel.

Second gear on ramps?! I am sorry but isn't that for the first gear to do?

But the last 1K kms is like a rough bus engine without oil.

I want to know whether you feel the same or no! I'll wait for the update!

Anurag.
@Anurag - I haven't reached 80 kmph in 5th gear in the city of potholes (Sorry Bangalore). Will have the opportunity to test it this weekend or probably next week end on NICE Road

Ramps aren't steep and the approach is quick. I don't need to take change to 1st gear - This is the entry and not the exit :-)

Shall wait for the oil to be used and will keep posting regular update on my findings

Quote:
I felt the same too.The last 1k felt very rough.The car used to idle like a tractor.

The engine sure feels smoother on delvac1. Henceforth sticking to Delvac 1 only.
+1

Rakesh - Brilliant to hear you have the same feedback. I am sticking to Delvac 1 which has been brew on my Accent CRDi ever since 10k. And will swear on it

Quote:

Anurag.
@Anurag to each his own - I am not sure the exact one used but during my previous oil change I requested Mandovi to fill Synthetic oil which they duly did but when I asked for the details they indicated that it was shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and the API rating was CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
+1
Shell oils superior to Castrol or Mobil oils of equivalent grade.
Quote:

Shell - Helix Ultra 5W40

Mobil - Delvac 5W40

Anurag.
@archat and @Anurag - I wouldn't dispute your experiences but the API rating of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 seems to be far poorer compared to the requirement for the DDIS heart which needs CI-4

Delvac 1 was (and probably is) the only synthetic oil in India which meets the CI-4 and CI-4 Plus requirement.

Shell is a good one for petrol but not for CI-4 rated diesels which is the spec for DDIS engine.

Useful links on Helix and Delvac 1 . These links do confirm the API ratings.

Quick look at the user manual for DDIS heart will confirm the requirements too

A quick look at the manual indicates that the SPEC is A3 / B3 but DDIS is a new generation diesel with EGR which needs better detergent properties in oils to handle the exhaust gases as per Oil Bible

Hope this clarifies it from the technical stand point and no way we are recommending Delvac 1 over others but highlighting the ratings and the requirements

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 29th January 2014 at 09:42.
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 09:36   #1178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Shell - Helix Ultra 5W40

Mobil - Delvac 5W40

Anurag.
Which delvac? Delvac MX or Delvac 1?

Quote:
Is Shell helix ultra diesel specific oil or can be used for both petrol and diesel?.Mobil Delvac is for diesels only.Shell oils are any day good.Using Shell in my Karizma
Correct. Delvac is only for diesels . Helix ultra diesel is not available in india .And has out dated specs. It is only CF compliant.

Quote:

@Anurag to each his own - I am not sure the exact one used but during my previous oil change I requested Mandovi to fill Synthetic oil which they duly did but when I asked for the details they indicated that it was shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and the API rating was CF

@archat and @Anurag - I wouldn't dispute your experiences but the API rating of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 seems to be far poorer compared to the requirement for the DDIS heart which needs CI-4

Delvac 1 was (and probably is) the only synthetic oil in India which meets the CI-4 and CI-4 Plus requirement.

Shell is a good one for petrol but not for CI-4 rated diesels which is the spec for DDIS engine.

Cheers

You are bang on Satish. The Shell helix ultra is only for petrol engines. There is a diesel ultra which has out dated specs as you mentioned. Moreover it is not available in India.

Delvac 1 is the only modern diesels compliant synthetic oil. THE BEST currently out in Indian market.
Old 29th January 2014, 17:11   #1179
BHPian

Quote:

A quick look at the manual indicates that the SPEC is A3 / B3 but DDIS is a new generation diesel with EGR which needs better detergent properties in oils to handle the exhaust gases as per Oil Bible
I have used Gulf Max TD which is CI4 rated and used Shell Helix HX6 which is CF4 rated. The gulf oil is is good for 2K KM after which the engine felt coarse. The shell oil is in different league altogether. Actually not only the oil rating that matters the quality of base oil used to manufacture the engine oil is very important too. A good quality oil will have higher Total Base No. (TBN). The oil with higher TBN will prevent degradation and remain more stable towards its entire usage of 5K KM. One of the way to find it is to do a used oil analysis.

I was also inclined to fully synthetic oil but in my normal usage I have to change oil in every 5 month or so. So, I just thought that spending 3K for oil change every 5 month is not VFM for me. That is why I stick to good mineral oil and change it every 5K KM (every 5 month). I used Castrol magnatech, castrol GTX D, Mobil Delvac MX, Gulf Max TD and Shell Helix HX 6 D. The best among these is the shell oil. Initially I was also going solely by oil rating but after reading a lot of good stuff about the Shell oil I decided to give it a try and I'm a convert now .
Old 29th January 2014, 17:15   #1180
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
You are bang on Satish. The Shell helix ultra is only for petrol engines. There is a diesel ultra which has out dated specs as you mentioned. Moreover it is not available in India.

Delvac 1 is the only modern diesels compliant synthetic oil. THE BEST currently out in Indian market.
As I have clearly mentioned in my previous posts that the Shell was used by MASS for the oil change in my Ritz VDi. The Swift ZDi that I currently own has to go for the second service but will be changing oil + oil filter on my own.

The car has not seen an oil change till date. What ever experience I have posted was with the Ritz which MASS themselves add.

Shall see what MASS do when I take the Swift for service.

Anurag.
Old 29th January 2014, 21:22   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I have clearly mentioned in my previous posts that the Shell was used by MASS for the oil change in my Ritz VDi. The Swift ZDi that I currently own has to go for the second service but will be changing oil + oil filter on my own.

The car has not seen an oil change till date. What ever experience I have posted was with the Ritz which MASS themselves add.

Shall see what MASS do when I take the Swift for service.

Anurag.
Anurag, I doubt if they stock delvac 1 at service center. Confirm with them which oil they use once you go for service.

Check if you can get your own engine oil without voiding warranty . if no issues get the delvac 1☺
Old 29th January 2014, 22:51   #1182
BANNED

Quote:
Anurag, I doubt if they stock delvac 1 at service center. Confirm with them which oil they use once you go for service.

Check if you can get your own engine oil without voiding warranty . if no issues get the delvac 1☺
They do stock it. When my Ritz goes in for service I saw them change brands 3 times in 3 services:

70K & 80K Service = Synthetic Oil (5W40) - Shell (99999MS5W40-SHL)

100K Service = Synthetic Oil (5W40) - Castrol (99999MS5W40-CAS)

Though for the 90K service I tried Delvac 1.

Shall try using Delvac 1 again for the Swift and see if I find any difference. The only confusion I am in is whether to buy synthetic oil or Mineral oil for the oil change that I will do on my own when the car reaches 5K which is a few days far away. MASS says first oil change is at 10K but I want to change the oil and oil filter.

Anurag.
Old 30th January 2014, 08:39   #1183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They do stock it. When my Ritz goes in for service I saw them change brands 3 times in 3 services:

70K & 80K Service = Synthetic Oil (5W40) - Shell (99999MS5W40-SHL)

100K Service = Synthetic Oil (5W40) - Castrol (99999MS5W40-CAS)

Though for the 90K service I tried Delvac 1.

Shall try using Delvac 1 again for the Swift and see if I find any difference. The only confusion I am in is whether to buy synthetic oil or Mineral oil for the oil change that I will do on my own when the car reaches 5K which is a few days far away. MASS says first oil change is at 10K but I want to change the oil and oil filter.

Anurag.
Then you can change to mineral like rimula r4 or delvac MX . run for 5k then change to delvac 1 at 10k
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 09:56   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Sagar, run the engine on mineral if its new since it has to break in.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:22   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Holy Grail of Diesel engine oils

Shot this at a store recently.
This was elusive prior to 2011.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-20140118_151615.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks