Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 15:27   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mobil Delvac 1 - Anyone used in DDiS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Anyone out their who can help me with feedback pls...

Cheers
Not on DDIS,but on the MJD cousin i have been using 5W40 Delvac 1 since 35K kms now,and the engine purrs like a kitten after 84K on odo.
Its one of the best diesel engine oil you can get,go for it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 15:44   #1157
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

I have a i20 Crdi, which has done 50,000 kms. I am still on the Hyundai OE engine oil, which i am sure would be mineral oil.

Is it high time for me to switch to synthetic if so please recommend options or should i stick to mineral oil only ?
Old 1st October 2013, 17:03   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
I have a i20 Crdi, which has done 50,000 kms. I am still on the Hyundai OE engine oil, which i am sure would be mineral oil.

Is it high time for me to switch to synthetic if so please recommend options or should i stick to mineral oil only ?
You must go through these threads:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3209533

Depending on the Kms you put on per year and how long you wish to keep the car. You can make your choice. In a few posts I also read, that it is the Oil filter that is the star performer, more than the oil itself.

Synthetic has its advantages, but it is expensive compared to mineral oil.
Once you change the OE oil you must ensure, you stick to the oil for top ups. It is best to carry your can of oil when giving the car for service.
Old 1st October 2013, 19:40   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Update on the oil change on my Swift VDI (40K).

Was lookout for Shell HX6, but not available with dealers in my native mysore. Instead, a nearby friendly dealer suggested Petronas Urania CH4 15W40 oil, rating it above if not equal to HX6.

Costs:
---------

3L can => 760 rs
Purolator Filer=> 130 rs

Although, 3.1 ltrs is suggested, looks like 3 should be fine as my engine does not look like it was consuming much oil earlier as well. Experts can clarify this please ?

Initial response after around 50kms of driving is a wee bit reduced engine noise and increased smoothness.
Had a madikeri run after this change and 40k service. Amazed by the response of the engine. Superb dirveablity in the ghats and overtaking is super fun as well. Power was always there. Had real fun with an Aria on the return as well, the DDIS left with a big grin at the end.

Very good oil, and 3L looks sufficient with oil touching the max mark.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 15:43   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone out their who can help me with feedback pls...

Cheers
Hi Sateesh,am using Delvac-1 in my swift Vdi.Had switched from Delvac mx to delvac 1 as the former was not available at that time.Had changed the oil at 25k on the odo.Currently nearing 34k and oil is still going strong.Since the oil is synthetic it can safely run with a drain period of 8-10k.Loved the engine response.The oil is as if tailor made for the DDIS. Decided not to switch to anything else.Completely satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishbull_6157 View Post
Hello, has anyone used Schaeffer engine oils here? I recently got three liters for my Royal enfield classic 500 chrome, it came a little expensive at Rs 1100/liter. I am due for an oil change on my 1990 Mahindra CJ and would like to know if anyone has experienced using Schaeffer oil for their diesel engines?
A very late reply,nevertheless i had used it in my swift di and dint like it much.The engine used to clatter a lot especially during cold starts.Moreover I felt the engine to be sluggish and dint perform well.Replaced the oil after 1000km.Replaced the GB oil with schaeffers.Completely satisfied with it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th November 2013 at 16:40. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 15:01   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
,but on the MJD cousin .. 5W40 Delvac 1 since 35K kms now,and the engine purrs like a kitten after 84K on odo.
..the best diesel engine oil you can get,go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Loved the engine response.The oil is as if tailor made for the DDIS.
akshay4587 and Rakesh - Thanks for your confirmation. I have been a long time user of Delvac 1 in my Accent CRDi. Just love the engine response. Wanted to know its application for DDIS and I am glad the impact has been positive - So Delvac 1 will be the brew for my DDIS for the 50k service !!

csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:32   #1162
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys what is the current price of a 5 litres can of Delvac 1 in Bangalore?
Old 24th November 2013, 10:49   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys what is the current price of a 5 litres can of Delvac 1 in Bangalore?
Should be around 3.5k (max). I heard 5l cans are in short supply. Hence was forced to pick up 5 x 1 litre but at the same price
Old 24th November 2013, 14:29   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Should be around 3.5k (max). I heard 5l cans are in short supply. Hence was forced to pick up 5 x 1 litre but at the same price
Purchased a 5 ltr can for 4200 rupees from JK Automobiles .

Where did you purchase a 5 litres of 1 ltr can for 3500??
Old 17th January 2014, 18:20   #1165
BHPian

Petrol oil in Diesel Engine

Hi All,
need expert advice on this one - own a Mahindra Logan diesel and poured 5w30 petrol synthetic engine oil instead of 15w40 as recommended by mfg.

While engine revvs much better and feels lighter - but is it getting correct lubrication and protection??

Could you please suggest if its advisable to retain it till next 5/10k interval service or change it asap??

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th January 2014, 19:17   #1166
BANNED

Re: Petrol oil in Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Hi All,
need expert advice on this one - own a Mahindra Logan diesel and poured 5w30 petrol synthetic engine oil instead of 15w40 as recommended by mfg.

While engine revvs much better and feels lighter - but is it getting correct lubrication and protection??

Could you please suggest if its advisable to retain it till next 5/10k interval service or change it asap??

Thanks in advance.
Who poured it and how did you get hold of it?

IMO, Change it and if need the oil filter too.

Anurag.
Old 17th January 2014, 19:26   #1167
BHPian

Re: Petrol oil in Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Thanks in advance.
Although it is advisable to use manufacturer recommended SAE grade. There is nothing to panic, if you have replaced the oil and not just a top up.

The oil viscosity gradings are based on the outside temperate you operate in. It is to do with cold start. Once the engine has reached operating temperatures, all grades are similar.

We dont live in minus temperatures, so its alright. You are fine even if you do venture out, 5w30 can handle extreme cold.

Here is a good link to explain oil grades. http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto..._explained.htm

Last edited by HillMan : 17th January 2014 at 19:32. Reason: Added link.
Old 17th January 2014, 20:31   #1168
BHPian

I run a direct injection non-common rail diesel engine. I currently use mineral oil rated 20W40 but will be changing soon. What brand/kind of synthetic oil is recommended?
Old 28th January 2014, 12:15   #1169
BHPian

Hi BHPians

Time for an update from my end on the Delvac 1 brew for the DDIS heart

Filled at : 48400 km
Oil present in the car : Shell synthetic as claimed by Service centre
New oil filled : Mobil Delvac 1

It has been 500kms since the oil was replaced and I am loving the engine response

Summary of observations

1. Earlier - Sudden accelerations were always associated with a lot of engine noise
Now - Noise has completely subdued

2. Smoothness Earlier - Engine when fired up starts at around 950rpm and take 2 minute for the engine note to change and settle around 850 rpm
Now - Engine note changes in less than 75 secs and settles at 800 rpm

3. Low End driveability Earlier - On ramps when taken in second gear in my apartment it made a lot of engine noise
Now - Takes it easily and engine noise has subdued too

Shall keep updating as I keep logging more miles

Overall am very happy

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 12:35   #1170
BANNED

Quote:
1. Earlier - Sudden accelerations were always associated with a lot of engine noise
Now - Noise has completely subdued
How do you find the sound at 80 kmph @ 5th gear?

Quote:
2. Smoothness Earlier - Engine when fired up starts at around 950rpm and take 2 minute for the engine note to change and settle around 850 rpm
Now - Engine note changes in less than 75 secs and settles at 800 rpm
I want to know the smoothness after a hard drive and then how does the engine feel.

Quote:
3. Low End driveability Earlier - On ramps when taken in second gear in my apartment it made a lot of engine noise
Now - Takes it easily and engine noise has subdued too
Second gear on ramps?! I am sorry but isn't that for the first gear to do?

I too have had synthetic oil in my Ritz VDi from 30K kms till 1 lac kms. WHat I have noticed is the engine feels smooth and good till 9K post the oil change. But the last 1K kms is like a rough bus engine without oil.

I want to know whether you feel the same or no! I'll wait for the update!

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks