Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 18:09   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Top-up to be done with same Brand or Same Specs but Different Brand will do?

I had recently replaced Engine Oil of our Indigo XL Dicor with Gulf Max TD 15W40 CI-4 around 2000 Kms ago. Today when I checked the oil level, it has dropped below middle point of Both Markings.
Now I want to top-up the oil.
I had bought MAK Platinum 15W40 CI-4 (2 X 1 litre Pack) 7-8 months ago. 0.6-0.7 litre has been used.
Can I use the MAK Oil for Top-up or Should I have to use the same oil as it currently is within the car (Gulf Max TD 15W40 CI-4)?
Both oils are 15W40 CI-4.
Old 16th May 2013, 18:26   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Top-up to be done with same Brand or Same Specs but Different Brand will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I had recently replaced Engine Oil of our Indigo XL Dicor with Gulf Max TD 15W40 CI-4 around 2000 Kms ago. Today when I checked the oil level, it has dropped below middle point of Both Markings.
Now I want to top-up the oil.
I had bought MAK Platinum 15W40 CI-4 (2 X 1 litre Pack) 7-8 months ago. 0.6-0.7 litre has been used.
Can I use the MAK Oil for Top-up or Should I have to use the same oil as it currently is within the car (Gulf Max TD 15W40 CI-4)?
Both oils are 15W40 CI-4.
Did you check the engine oil level when the car was stationary for atleast say an hour on a flat surface ? 2000 km is too short a duration for such a drastic reduction in engine oil level. Get your car checked asap if indeed the Engine oil level has reduced to such amounts.

As for your question, I would use the same engine oil to top up as the one inside the engine if I were you.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 08:06   #1113
Team-BHP Support

re: All about diesel engine oils

Switched to Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 on my Swift VDI during the 35k oil change interval. There is a definite improvement noticed especially since it is summer and ambient temperatures are higher. The engine doesn't feel rough as it used to be with standard mineral oil used by Maruti authorised service.

I am told that Maruti has switched to Mobil as a vendor for Swift engine oil. There is a bulk pack available in 3.5L which is what the Swift takes. I still stuck to Delvac MX which is slightly more expensive but better as mentioned on various posts in this thread.

I'll be getting the car serviced tomorrow as I do not use engine oil beyond 5,000 kms on the Swift diesel.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:53   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Top-up to be done with same Brand or Same Specs but Different Brand will do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Did you check the engine oil level when the car was stationary for atleast say an hour on a flat surface?
Thanks for reminding me that.
Yesterday morning before I checked the oil level, our chauffeur might have started the car. Hence the level was found to be low.
Today when I checked, it was found that the level was 30-35% below than the upper marking.
I would like to mention that I had filled 5 litres of engine oil as against 5.5 litres recommended by TML. So I guess, top up would require @<500ml.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
As for your question, I would use the same engine oil to top up as the one inside the engine if I were you.
I have @1.25litre of MAK Platinum 15W40 CI-4 left with me. What to do with it?
Hence I thought of using the required quantity of this oil for top-up. I know the detergents in both oils will be different but since the Specs are identical, theoretically there should be no difference in behaviour of both oils.
What say?

Also when we switch oils from one brand to another, some oil of previous brand is still present inside the engine and gets mixed with the new oil from another brand.
Old 17th May 2013, 19:35   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Switched to Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 on my Swift VDI during the 35k oil change interval. There is a definite improvement noticed especially since it is summer and ambient temperatures are higher. The engine doesn't feel rough as it used to be with standard mineral oil used by Maruti authorised service.

I am told that Maruti has switched to Mobil as a vendor for Swift engine oil. There is a bulk pack available in 3.5L which is what the Swift takes. I still stuck to Delvac MX which is slightly more expensive but better as mentioned on various posts in this thread.

I'll be getting the car serviced tomorrow as I do not use engine oil beyond 5,000 kms on the Swift diesel.
Isn't your version of the Swift the one in which compulsory use of synthetic oil is required ? Correct me If I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Thanks for reminding me that.
Yesterday morning before I checked the oil level, our chauffeur might have started the car. Hence the level was found to be low.
Today when I checked, it was found that the level was 30-35% below than the upper marking.
I would like to mention that I had filled 5 litres of engine oil as against 5.5 litres recommended by TML. So I guess, top up would require @<500ml.

I have @1.25litre of MAK Platinum 15W40 CI-4 left with me. What to do with it?
Hence I thought of using the required quantity of this oil for top-up. I know the detergents in both oils will be different but since the Specs are identical, theoretically there should be no difference in behaviour of both oils.
What say?

Also when we switch oils from one brand to another, some oil of previous brand is still present inside the engine and gets mixed with the new oil from another brand.
Well, I guess adding 500 ml in 5 litres with similar grades would not be a problem, Go for it with being careful not to over fill it.

Last edited by humyum : 17th May 2013 at 19:39.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 14:58   #1116
BHPian

Ok, Getz CRDI just gone in for 51k km service and this is what i have bought since i could not sourse delvac or HP milcy Synthetic. Im assuming this is not the best, but im sure it cant be bad. Any comments?
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-img_1211.jpg  

Last edited by balenopower : 24th May 2013 at 15:06.
Old 24th May 2013, 20:56   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Ok, Getz CRDI just gone in for 51k km service and this is what i have bought since i could not sourse delvac or HP milcy Synthetic. Im assuming this is not the best, but im sure it cant be bad. Any comments?
The Getz/Verna CRDI engine requires a minimum of CH grade oil. Check your manual. This one's CF, a grade lower. Dunno if the grade rule applies for synthetics though.
Old 27th May 2013, 17:01   #1118
BHPian

Hello, has anyone used Schaeffer engine oils here? I recently got three liters for my Royal enfield classic 500 chrome, it came a little expensive at Rs 1100/liter. I am due for an oil change on my 1990 Mahindra CJ and would like to know if anyone has experienced using Schaeffer oil for their diesel engines?
Old 30th May 2013, 13:45   #1119

Hi. I have a 2010 Cruze LT. I was going through various threads to see what options I have when it comes to the engine oil.

Upon doing some research, I found out about the DPF in the car. Even the car manual said that the car required 5W40 ACEA C3 grade fuel.

Then I called up 2 service centres and found out that both use Total Quartz 9000 fuel which is A3/B4. One service centre also offers a Mobile 1 5W30 A5/B5 as a more expensive option.

Upon contacting Chevrolet India, I have confirmation that the Cruze sold in India, does not have a DPF.

Now, since the oil that the service centre use is a API CF grade oil, I want to know, is there a better oil that can be used in the Cruze? I want to try something better than what I'm currently using.

How about the Delvac range that people have been talking about in this thread?
Old 30th May 2013, 14:44   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb86 View Post
Hi. I have a 2010 Cruze LT. I was going through various threads to see what options I have when it comes to the engine oil.

Upon doing some research, I found out about the DPF in the car. Even the car manual said that the car required 5W40 ACEA C3 grade fuel.

Then I called up 2 service centres and found out that both use Total Quartz 9000 fuel which is A3/B4. One service centre also offers a Mobile 1 5W30 A5/B5 as a more expensive option.

Upon contacting Chevrolet India, I have confirmation that the Cruze sold in India, does not have a DPF.

Now, since the oil that the service centre use is a API CF grade oil, I want to know, is there a better oil that can be used in the Cruze? I want to try something better than what I'm currently using.

How about the Delvac range that people have been talking about in this thread?
I suggest you be careful with the choice of oil for your cruze. Since yours is a 2010 model, it would be the one with earlier (original) version of the diesel engine. This engine is equipped with a DPF and requires low saps oil (ACEA C3). Chevy A.S.S used to use Total Quartz 9000 LS 5W40 oil for this. Please note LS which stands for low saps and this is ACEA C3 compliant oil. Regular Total 9000 is not C3 compliant.

Cruze with the latest engine launched sometime back does not have a DPF and requires 5W30 A3/B4 oil. No ACEA C3 complaince required as there is no DPF.

So please be careful and make sure you use only low saps oil which is ACEA C3 compliant. Normal Mobil1, Mobil Delvac 1 are not.

Hope this helps.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:56   #1121
Senior - BHPian

@balenopower; Happy to find that Magnatec is also API-SN. It is basically a petrol lube and this is why it is only API-CF. I am sure Castrol has better diesel specific oils.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:02   #1122

Thats odd. I specifically told the Chevrolet people that I have the old 150ps Cruze and they told me that it doesn't have a DPF. However I do think they use the LS variant. Any other/better oils that can be used or should I just stick to what the service centre uses?
Old 30th May 2013, 15:38   #1123

Quote:
Thats odd. I specifically told the Chevrolet people that I have the old 150ps Cruze and they told me that it doesn't have a DPF. However I do think they use the LS variant. Any other/better oils that can be used or should I just stick to what the service centre uses?
Just want to clarify that the person I had spoken to was the GM at Metro Chevrolet. He says that the DPF doesn't appear on the parts list. However, he has put in a mail to Chevrolet India to confirm.

He also confirmed that they do not use the LS variant. The ACEA grade is A3/B4.

I think that Shiva motors does use the LS type though.
Old 7th June 2013, 13:54   #1124

I sent someone from my office to check the oil at Shiva Motors Noida. They do use Total Quartz 9000 SL, which happens to be a C3 grade oil.

Now, this is a mail I received from the GM of Metro Chevrolet today:

Quote:
Dear Sir
We would like to reconfirm that the oils recommended for the Chevrolet Cruze in India are the Total Quartz 9000 5W 40 which is a A3/B4 grade oil as per ACEA and Mobil Super 3000 Formula G 5W30 which is A5/B5 as per ACEA.
The DPA is not fitted in cars sold in India as of now as the same is required for cars with emission norms of Euro V. What you must have seen on the net is specifications of Euro V which is sold abroad.
In case of any other queries do get in touch with us. It will be our pleasure to serve you.
Amitava Mukherji
Basically, my first oil change was the C3 variant at Shiva Motors and the second one was the A3/B4 variant at Metro Chevrolet.

Now, my car is due for it's 3rd oil change. I'm confused as to what I should get put. If the DPF is indeed not present, is there a higher grade oil that I can use? Something higher than the API CF which these people use?
Old 7th June 2013, 15:06   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
I sent someone from my office to check the oil at Shiva Motors Noida. They do use Total Quartz 9000 SL, which happens to be a C3 grade oil.

Now, this is a mail I received from the GM of Metro Chevrolet today:

Basically, my first oil change was the C3 variant at Shiva Motors and the second one was the A3/B4 variant at Metro Chevrolet.

Now, my car is due for it's 3rd oil change. I'm confused as to what I should get put. If the DPF is indeed not present, is there a higher grade oil that I can use? Something higher than the API CF which these people use?
What's recommended in your car manual for engine oil? I think it would be mentioned as 5W40 ACEA C3. Is there any mention of API rating (CF or better) in Cruze manual? I suggest you stick to the manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks