Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 18:43   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

This is sort of off-topic, yet related to diesel engine oil. I have been using 20W40 heavy duty diesel engine oil for my air compressor, no problems while doing so for the past 15 years. Now, can i use 15W40 Shell rimulac in it?
Old 4th March 2013, 13:57   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This is sort of off-topic, yet related to diesel engine oil. I have been using 20W40 heavy duty diesel engine oil for my air compressor, no problems while doing so for the past 15 years. Now, can i use 15W40 Shell rimulac in it?
Using Internal Combustion Engine oils for air compressors is a waste of money and natural resources. I do not know of any heavy duty compressor which experience the stress and strain of an automobile engine. It is advisable to use compressor oils, which have little or no additives, use lighter base oils and may even be less expensive, and also have lower cold viscosity.

Diesel engine oils may actually increase power consumption due to excess viscosity, as an air compressor may never reach the optimum temperature at which an engine and thereby the oil will operate.

Regards
SR71A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 01:50   #1083
BHPian

suggestions for synthetic oil for swift diesel. my car has 80k on the odo. Have been using mobil delvac1 since 50k kms.
Old 6th March 2013, 08:20   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefosi View Post
suggestions for synthetic oil for swift diesel. my car has 80k on the odo. Have been using mobil delvac1 since 50k kms.

When you are already using the best available synthetic oil why do you want to go for any other?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 08:33   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Errr Sagar is right.
Delvac1 is one of the best fully synthetic oil for Diesel engines.
Old 7th March 2013, 00:07   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Would be interested to know your reasons for thinking of changing the oil brand from Delvac 1 to something else.
In any case, if you simply want to try something else, then try to get hold of an Ester based lubricant, which is technically the next "better" step over "conventional" synthetics. One example that I can think of at the top of my head is Motul X-cess 5W40, but this oil may be much more expensive when compared to Delvac 1. And then just like Delvac 1, Motul has a fully-synthetic truck oil that goes by the name of Tekma Ultima 10W40, however, the last time I had checked, it was only available in a drum of 210 liters

Drive safe.

Quote:
Old 7th March 2013, 19:00   #1087
BHPian

@blackfire_9 I just wanted to know if there any better oil available in the market. Delvac 1 has served me well and most of the people here have recommended it. But if there is anything better then why not. I tried searching for motul lubricants and I am getting the xcess 8100 and also tekma ultima in 1lt packing @ 800/- per litre.

Pls suggest if I should stick to Delvac1 or use motul.
Old 8th March 2013, 01:43   #1088
Senior - BHPian

First of all, which place in Delhi sells Motul oils? I would really appreciate if the details were available here for everyone's (particularly Delhi's Bhpian's) benefit.

Now, if you want to try out a different oil, then I would suggest picking the X-cess over the Tekma. My reasoning is that the X-cess is more of a car oil while the Tekma (just like the Delvac) is a truck oil & I know that though a whole lot of it is just marketing gimmick, a truck is still different from a car oil (even if both categories of vehicles use the same fuel). But at the end of it, its your decision & you should give it a thought.

Lastly, not every engine runs great on every oil & thus, you may either like the Motul oil better than the Delvac or the exact opposite may happen.

Quote:
@blackfire_9 I just wanted to know if there any better oil available in the market. Delvac 1 has served me well and most of the people here have recommended it. But if there is anything better then why not. I tried searching for motul lubricants and I am getting the xcess 8100 and also tekma ultima in 1lt packing @ 800/- per litre.

Old 8th March 2013, 09:01   #1089
BHPian

Hi

My innova diesel has been getting its oil changes at the dealership. The car has run about 35 k and the last oil. was changed at around 30 K. the dealership mentioned that they change oils every 10K.

I am looking at changing the oil my self . Any suggestions on both of the synthetic and the mineral variety. My running is more in the city with lot of short trips.

thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 10:03   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it aint broken why Fix it.
Delvac 1 is one of the best oil you can get for your MJD.
I am using it in my Linea,and pretty satsified with it.
Keep using it
Old 8th March 2013, 15:11   #1091
BHPian

Swadeshi oils at chattarpur opp.tivoli gardens,contact person Mr.Mohit #9810706219 or you can contact Mr.Ashok Tiwari #9999111087 he is from Motul, very helpful guy.

But one thing which I wanted to ask, which is better a diesel specific oil or an oil which is for both petrol and diesel. Because X-cess is for both petrol and diesel with an API rating of CF whereas Tekma is a diesel specific with an API rating of CI.

They also have X-clean and X-cess prime which are also fully synthetic oils.

I hope I am not asking too many questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
First of all, which place in Delhi sells Motul oils? I would really appreciate if the details were available here for everyone's (particularly Delhi's Bhpian's) benefit.

Now, if you want to try out a different oil, then I would suggest picking the X-cess over the Tekma. My reasoning is that the X-cess is more of a car oil while the Tekma (just like the Delvac) is a truck oil & I know that though a whole lot of it is just marketing gimmick, a truck is still different from a car oil (even if both categories of vehicles use the same fuel). But at the end of it, its your decision & you should give it a thought.

Lastly, not every engine runs great on every oil & thus, you may either like the Motul oil better than the Delvac or the exact opposite may happen.
teefosi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 20:15   #1092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Swadeshi oils at chattarpur opp.tivoli gardens,contact person Mr.Mohit #9810706219 or you can contact Mr.Ashok Tiwari #9999111087 he is from Motul, very helpful guy.

But one thing which I wanted to ask, which is better a diesel specific oil or an oil which is for both petrol and diesel. Because X-cess is for both petrol and diesel with an API rating of CF whereas Tekma is a diesel specific with an API rating of CI.

They also have X-clean and X-cess prime which are also fully synthetic oils.

I hope I am not asking too many questions.

Check the user manual for the minimum oil rating. like CH4 CI4 . AFAIK the 1.3 MJD requires atleast CH4 in which case only the Tekma Ultima meets the engine requirements. Dont try other oils that you have mentioned since they dont have the basic API CH certification which is the requirement of the modern diesel engines. Stick with Tekma Ultima or Delvac 1 .
Old 12th March 2013, 00:24   #1093
BHPian

I am planning to buy motul tekma ultima for my swift diesel. Anybody who is interested in buying the same, we can buy it together as only 5 litre packing is available and I require only 3 litres for my car.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:28   #1094
Senior - BHPian

How much are you getting this for? Also, any particular reasons about why you chose this over the Delvac 1?

Quote:
I am planning to buy motul tekma ultima for my swift diesel. Anybody who is interested in buying the same, we can buy it together as only 5 litre packing is available and I require only 3 litres for my car.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:17   #1095
BHPian

I am getting it for 800/- per litre. Reasons for choosing is one its an ester based oil which has better lubricating properties and secondly wanted to try something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
How much are you getting this for? Also, any particular reasons about why you chose this over the Delvac 1?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks