Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 15:50   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Guys where in Chandigarh or Delhi can I find the following oils:

Delvac 1 : 5W40 HDEO

Mobil Transmission Oil SHC 75W90 Fully Synthetic GL-5

I would prefer a small 5 liter can for the gear oil. 20 liters would be too much. I would need only a liter per year on the bike.
Old 29th January 2013, 20:47   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Guys where in Chandigarh or Delhi can I find the following oils:

Delvac 1 : 5W40 HDEO

Mobil Transmission Oil SHC 75W90 Fully Synthetic GL-5

I would prefer a small 5 liter can for the gear oil. 20 liters would be too much. I would need only a liter per year on the bike.
Delvac 1 and transmission oil for a 'bike'. Which bike?
Old 29th January 2013, 22:06   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Delvac 1 and transmission oil for a 'bike'. Which bike?

A R1200GS. BMW uses HDEO oil in all its cars and bikes in India. My bike has BMW HDEO in it. The only problem is calling the Service crew to my hometown. BMW don't retail their oil over the counter otherwise it would have been my first choice considering the price to be decent as well. About 1050 for a liter of fully synthetic HDEO.

Now that I'm starting the services myself, I need this oil.

The transmission and Final drive (this is a shaft driven bike) uses Fully synthetic GL-5 75W90 oil. So need that as well. Its available in 20 Liter packs but then that will last me 20 years. Not needed. Hehe. Hence the 5 Liter requirement.
Old 29th January 2013, 23:12   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A R1200GS. BMW uses HDEO oil in all its cars and bikes in India. My bike has BMW HDEO in it. The only problem is calling the Service crew to my hometown. BMW don't retail their oil over the counter otherwise it would have been my first choice considering the price to be decent as well. About 1050 for a liter of fully synthetic HDEO.

Now that I'm starting the services myself, I need this oil.

The transmission and Final drive (this is a shaft driven bike) uses Fully synthetic GL-5 75W90 oil. So need that as well. Its available in 20 Liter packs but then that will last me 20 years. Not needed. Hehe. Hence the 5 Liter requirement.

I understood the transmission oil part.But still not understanding why you want to use Delvac 1 which is a pure diesel engine specific oil in your petrol powered bike?

Check this thread.The last page of it. Traveller also purchased 20 Ltr can.He is left with 1 litre.Maybe he can sell that to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...s-home-12.html
Old 29th January 2013, 23:28   #1070
Senior - BHPian

If you look at all the specifications of Oils. There is no such thing as diesel engine oil or petrol engine oil. They are all the same. A 5W40 oil, be it petrol or diesel, will exhibit the same viscosity at the Standard temps. But the difference comes in with higher usage and more temperatures. An HDEO is can withstand more abuse as its made to work in an engine which has higher compression ratio and higher temp. Hence you can call it tougher oil. Tougher oil does not mean thicker oil! No. It means the oil will retain its viscosity and other properties after more abuse than the non-HDEO oil. Basically a diesel engine is subject to far more abuse on the internals. Imagine the kind of piston rings to maintain that 16:1 Compression ratio and an oil which has to squeeze into that small tolerance and keep the cylinder lubricated.

Hence it is a better choice of oil for any vehicle. People have been running these oils in their 1000cc bikes. Mind you these oils will come out blacker when drained out. It doesn't mean that its bad. It means its cleaning better.

Ofcourse one can argue a lot against it but its a sound engineer's thought process and validation that has gone behind it.

Oh yes. Do check out the grades of the oils. HDEOs generally exceed the specifications than regular "gasoline" engine oils.

In the end, to each his own. Peace of mind is most important. If you're not comfortable with it, never do it!
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 08:15   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you look at all the specifications of Oils. There is no such thing as diesel engine oil or petrol engine oil. They are all the same. A 5W40 oil, be it petrol or diesel, will exhibit the same viscosity at the Standard temps.
Very dangerous to make a blanket statement like this. An oil's grade is not only determined by its viscosity. It is also determined by its ability to service various compression ratios and pressures. Which is why a petrol engine (and even indirect injection diesels) which run at 70-100 bar can do with CF grade engine oils, but for a CRDI (1350 bar) a minimum CH grade oil is recommended.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:42   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you look at all the specifications of Oils. There is no such thing as diesel engine oil or petrol engine oil. They are all the same. A 5W40 oil, be it petrol or diesel, will exhibit the same viscosity at the Standard temps. But the difference comes in with higher usage and more temperatures. An HDEO is can withstand more abuse as its made to work in an engine which has higher compression ratio and higher temp. Hence you can call it tougher oil. Tougher oil does not mean thicker oil! No. It means the oil will retain its viscosity and other properties after more abuse than the non-HDEO oil. Basically a diesel engine is subject to far more abuse on the internals. Imagine the kind of piston rings to maintain that 16:1 Compression ratio and an oil which has to squeeze into that small tolerance and keep the cylinder lubricated.

Hence it is a better choice of oil for any vehicle. People have been running these oils in their 1000cc bikes. Mind you these oils will come out blacker when drained out. It doesn't mean that its bad. It means its cleaning better.

Ofcourse one can argue a lot against it but its a sound engineer's thought process and validation that has gone behind it.

Oh yes. Do check out the grades of the oils. HDEOs generally exceed the specifications than regular "gasoline" engine oils.

In the end, to each his own. Peace of mind is most important. If you're not comfortable with it, never do it!

Thanks for the gyan . Did not know these facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Very dangerous to make a blanket statement like this. An oil's grade is not only determined by its viscosity. It is also determined by its ability to service various compression ratios and pressures. Which is why a petrol engine (and even indirect injection diesels) which run at 70-100 bar can do with CF grade engine oils, but for a CRDI (1350 bar) a minimum CH grade oil is recommended.

Maybe, since the BMW has a higher compression of 12:1 , the Delvac 1 will be better choice? Since its a higher compression than most normal petrol bikes!
Old 30th January 2013, 10:23   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Yep. Thanks for reaffirming my own statement. Hence since HDEO oils which are used in modern High performance Diesels, which are CRDI, are better than other oils. Hence I use it.

But my explanation does not mean that you should use it too. No you should not infact. There are a lot of things one hears/reads over the net.

I use it and will continue to do so. Thank you.

And considering the part about making blanket statements. Ah well, you see its still quite cold up north since you're in delhi too and we'd like to keep our blankets on.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:02   #1074
BHPian

Hi.

Wanted to know if it is safe to use 5w 40 Synthethic oil Mobil Devlac 1 on a Figo 1.4 Diesel ??

(Posting on behalf of my friend)
Old 3rd February 2013, 10:29   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you look at all the specifications of Oils. There is no such thing as diesel engine oil or petrol engine oil.
Incorrect - diesel specific oils have a higher detergent content. This is why you never see a high end (say API-SN) petrol oil have an equally exalted Diesel rating, and vice versa. I remember someone filling an API-SM or SN into his diesel car, and losing the warranty cover since the oil did not have sufficient rating for a Diesel. Also any API rating is the minimum specification the oil must have so the same rating may not make the oils equal in all respects.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd February 2013 at 10:30.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 23:28   #1076
BHPian

hello,

my Petra D with 80k+ on the odometer is due for an oil change shortly. I want to use Mobil Delvac MX. Kindly advise if Mobil Delvac MX is a good choice for petra D or Castrol GTX is better.

The Owners manual recommends SAE 15W40 multi grade synthetic based oil exceeding API CD CC MCPDZ.

Pls advise...
Old 5th February 2013, 00:11   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
Kindly advise if Mobil Delvac MX is a good choice for petra D or Castrol GTX is better.
With the Palio D, i used even the basic Shell Rimula R2 15W40, no complaints. You can use Mobil or Shell HX6. Don't know about GTX.
Old 5th February 2013, 20:10   #1078
BHPian

Just purchased Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 from M/S Speed, J C Road. They are charging 300/- per litre and for Delvac 1 it's 800/- it seems price were revised and they are giving the best quote.
Did someone purchased any of the 2 engine oils for a lesser price in Bangalore?
Old 5th February 2013, 21:47   #1079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Just purchased Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 from M/S Speed, J C Road. They are charging 300/- per litre and for Delvac 1 it's 800/- it seems price were revised and they are giving the best quote.
I got one for 3850 for 5 lts a couple of weeks ago! The Delvac 1 5W40.
Old 5th February 2013, 22:03   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
I bought Mobil Delvac 15w 40 for 1314.06 for a 5 liter can. That makes it less than Rs 300 a liter. However, this was on 12 December 2012.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks