Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:32   #1036
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71A View Post
The Discussion in this thread is misleading to a lay person for most part except ...
8. Any smoothness of engine perceived after an early change of oil is more psychological than actual.
Very well said SR71A

On Pt 1, Engine rebuilds for diesel engines depend on the vehicle and engine size as well as the load distribution.

The Accent CRDi 3 cylinder engines are known to fail under a lakh and I have personally experienced a failure at 82853 kms [this vehicle had the best OEM oil and best fuel from the same petrol station [Woodlands Petrol Bunk on RK Salai] during its lifetime with me]

Have had a close friend of mine whose contessa classic [1.8 petrol] and Maruti Omni [800cc petrol] run close to 250,000 kms before engine rebuilds.

I also believe engine rebuilds depend on how rough the vehicle has been used especially during cold starts etc.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:33   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Is Devlac1 available in W50 grade?
I am getting 5w40 at 750\L
Is it a good price?
Old 15th September 2012, 02:50   #1038
Senior - BHPian

The only grade for Delvac-1 that's available in India is 5W40 (as also listed on Mobil's India website). The price of Rs.750/L is a good price, though more discounts would never hurt

Which of your steeds is gonna get this pampering? Linea or Scorpio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is it a good price?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 02:59   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9
The only grade for Delvac-1 that's available in India is 5W40 (as also listed on Mobil's India website). The price of Rs.750/L is a good price, though more discounts would never hurt

Which of your steeds is gonna get this pampering? Linea or Scorpio?
Its for the linea
I was under the impression that multiple grades are available like the Mobil 1
Old 15th September 2012, 10:38   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is it a good price?
Delvac 1 is availble in only 5w-40.

I got it for the same price 2 months back near opera house. Tired to get a better deal but couldn't.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:02   #1041
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone come across API CJ-4 certified 5w-40 engine oil anywhere in Bangalore? Any reputed brand would do.
I've been searching all over the place with no luck whatsoever.

Thanks

Last edited by kryptonite : 30th November 2012 at 10:04.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:29   #1042
Senior - BHPian

I do not think that any India specific oils, at least from the big 3 (Mobil, Shell & Total/Elf), have yet started carrying the CJ-4 rating.

Why are you particularly keen on a CJ-4 rated oil? Is it only because this is the most recent rating for diesel oils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Hello,

Has anyone come across API CJ-4 certified 5w-40 engine oil anywhere in Bangalore? Any reputed brand would do.
I've been searching all over the place with no luck whatsoever.

Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 13:27   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Why are you particularly keen on a CJ-4 rated oil? Is it only because this is the most recent rating for diesel oils?
That, and after reading through the FAQ's here, http://www.apicj-4.org/faqs.html, its clear that the CJ-4 rated oil is definitely superior to CI-4 or CI-4 plus.

Since our diesel has 50ppm of sulphur, our drain intervals just need to be more frequent with CJ-4 oil. I'm guessing 10,000kms if we can find a synthetic 5w40 oil rated CJ-4, instead of the current 15,000kms with Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w40 which is rated CF. [CF through CI-4 plus can sustain upto 500ppm of sulphur in diesel for an extended drain period]

Reference info linked here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2973921

Here's a list of CJ-4 certified oil brands/products, hopefully we can source one of the 5w40's in India:
http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResu...egories&q=CJ-4
kryptonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 00:29   #1044
Senior - BHPian

This was a very useful post, thanks for sharing the links. I agree with you but the only worry I have is towards the reduction in the levels of anti-wear additives (i.e. zinc & phosphorus). The cap is 0.12% or 1200ppm in the CJ-4 category & though anything above 1000ppm is good enough, I am just a bit skeptical about companies reducing the content further & substituting zinc/phosphorus with other anti-wear additives (for instance, Moly) that may or may not be as effective. The CJ-4 category is actually a result of EPA regulations & the sole purpose of CJ-4 was to further enhance the life of exhaust treatment devices & deal with soot better.

Moreover, the cost of oils would definitely see a jump, as has also been stated by Infineum, which happens to be one of the key additive pack suppliers to oil companies.

Quote:
That, and after reading through the FAQ's here, http://www.apicj-4.org/faqs.html, its clear that the CJ-4 rated oil is definitely superior to CI-4 or CI-4 plus.

Since our diesel has 50ppm of sulphur, our drain intervals just need to be more frequent with CJ-4 oil. I'm guessing 10,000kms if we can find a synthetic 5w40 oil rated CJ-4, instead of the current 15,000kms with Castrol Magnatec Professional 5w40 which is rated CF. [CF through CI-4 plus can sustain upto 500ppm of sulphur in diesel for an extended drain period]

Reference info linked here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2973921

Here's a list of CJ-4 certified oil brands/products, hopefully we can source one of the 5w40's in India:
http://eolcs.api.org/brandSearchResu...egories&q=CJ-4

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 4th December 2012 at 00:32.
Old 4th December 2012, 18:28   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
This was a very useful post, thanks for sharing the links. I agree with you but the only worry I have is towards the reduction in the levels of anti-wear additives (i.e. zinc & phosphorus). The cap is 0.12% or 1200ppm in the CJ-4 category & though anything above 1000ppm is good enough, I am just a bit skeptical about companies reducing the content further & substituting zinc/phosphorus with other anti-wear additives (for instance, Moly) that may or may not be as effective. The CJ-4 category is actually a result of EPA regulations & the sole purpose of CJ-4 was to further enhance the life of exhaust treatment devices & deal with soot better.

Moreover, the cost of oils would definitely see a jump, as has also been stated by Infineum, which happens to be one of the key additive pack suppliers to oil companies.
I tried looking for 5W40 CI-4/CI-4_plus rated oils, and can't find these either. Please let me know if you're aware of any. Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 20:07   #1046
Senior - BHPian

To the best of my knowledge, the only 5W40 grade oil with an API CI-4 or CI-4+ rating (in India) is the Mobil Delvac 1.

But, please remember that the Delvac range is actually that of HDEOs & contrary to popular opinion, it's not the best out there for cars. Though some may argue that a company may use the same formulation as their HDEOs in PCMOs (including diesel spec oils), it may not be entirely true. The only thing that's common is usually the base stock, while the add pack is different. For example, the Delvac 1 carries the Cummins CES 20078 specification & so, it should be good for approximately 30000 miles (normal service) on heavy duty diesel engines. This means that the add pack is very strong, with a huge amount of detergents/sulphur etc & though, this may sound interesting, too much of this stuff is bad. The kind of additives it carries are not required for small diesels like those available in the Indian market; in fact, it may be counter-productive.

My suggestion would be to choose an oil that's as close to the manufacturer specifications as possible or best, choose any decent oil (synthetic/semi-synthetic/mineral) that's close to the manufacturer's viscosity recommendations with an ACEA rating suitable for your car. Let me give an example of the Ford 1.4 TDCi engine. Now this engine is also sold in Peugeot models as the 1.4 HDi & the specification that's required is PSA B71 2290 (similar to Ford's WSS-M2C-913C, which is backwards compatible). One of the closest matches (by comparing the spec sheets) is the Mobil 1 0W40, which is often disregarded as not being good for diesels with turbochargers.

Lastly, my apologies for the long post.

Quote:
I tried looking for 5W40 CI-4/CI-4_plus rated oils, and can't find these either. Please let me know if you're aware of any. Thanks

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 4th December 2012 at 20:12.
Old 4th December 2012, 22:06   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you need 5W40 in BLR weather? 15W40 would be more than sufficient. 5W40 is required for northern states of India in winter.

EDIT
Delvac 1 is CI4 Plus with 5W40 rating. That should be available in BLR.

Last edited by archat68 : 4th December 2012 at 22:08.
Old 4th December 2012, 22:33   #1048
Senior - BHPian

While a 15W40 suits a lot of engines sold in India, it may not be so for the Rapid TDI, which is probably the car in contention in kryptonite's query (assuming so from his signature).

Most engines today do not need a 15W40, though the most commonly available oils in India are 15W40. It's not just about the weather but also about how the internal oil passages of an engine are designed, the tolerances of the various components & also the oil pump's limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Why do you need 5W40 in BLR weather? 15W40 would be more than sufficient. 5W40 is required for northern states of India in winter.

EDIT
Delvac 1 is CI4 Plus with 5W40 rating. That should be available in BLR.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 4th December 2012 at 22:35.
Old 4th December 2012, 23:08   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
While a 15W40 suits a lot of engines sold in India, it may not be so for the Rapid TDI, which is probably the car in contention in kryptonite's query (assuming so from his signature).

Most engines today do not need a 15W40, though the most commonly available oils in India are 15W40. It's not just about the weather but also about how the internal oil passages of an engine are designed, the tolerances of the various components & also the oil pump's limitations.
For Rapid skoda must have recommended synthetic and synthetic diesel oils in India are available in 5W40 rating.

But theoretically if a 15W40 synthetic was available it would be sufficient for BLR weather too. Mfr's use the widest range to avoid variation from city to city i,e filling 0W40 in Ladakh /J&K and 15W40 in Chennai. Just a single grade of oil which will be suitable for the whloe country.

Quote:
How do I read the numbers around the 'W'? For example 5W40?:

As oils heat up, they generally get thinner. Single grade oils get too thin when hot for most modern engines which is where multigrade oil comes in. The idea is simple - use science and physics to prevent the base oil from getting too thin when it gets hot. The number before the 'W' is the 'cold' viscosity rating of the oil, and the number after the 'W' is the 'hot' viscosity rating. So a 5W40 oil is one that behaves like a 5-rated single grade oil when cold, but doesn't thin any more than a 40-rated single grade oil when hot. The lower the 'winter' number (hence the 'W'), the easier the engine will turn over when starting in cold climates.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_b...#ixzz2E6bjtPqw

Last edited by archat68 : 4th December 2012 at 23:09.
Old 4th December 2012, 23:21   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But theoretically if a 15W40 synthetic was available it would be sufficient for BLR weather too.
Could be, but only if the engine is designed to run a 15W40 oil. If weather was the only factor then all cars would have needed a 20W50 in the peak summer season around the globe (especially in heavily congested cities).

Quote:
Mfr's use the widest range to avoid variation from city to city i,e filling 0W40 in Ladakh /J&K and 15W40 in Chennai. Just a single grade of oil which will be suitable for the whloe country.
Correct, but like I said above & also in my previous post, the starting point for all this is the engine's construction & what sort of oil it can/should run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks