Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 22:19   #1021
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Guys we are confusing here between the two filters. What Panky mentioned here is the DF (Diesel Filter) for his Indigo (a non common rail engine). Normally a Lucas TVS or Delphi make comes in that range of Rs 130/-. What Archat is mentioning here is the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) for his Swift DDiS (which is a common rail diesel engine). Since the diesel is pumped at very high pressures, these common rail engines require special type of filters to separate out the minutest of the impurities, hence they are quite costly in the range of 1200/- odd rupees.
I'm afraid the DPF you mention in your post is a component of the exhaust system, and is not the same as a diesel fuel filter.

Diesel filters for common rail engines cost a lot more because they are usually single stage (unlike 2 filters in a DI/IDI diesel) to prevent a drop in line pressure (which sensors can pick up and display as a fault code), yet these filters have to perform equal (or better) filtration compared to those dual stage Rs.130 filters - otherwise those VERY expensive injectors would wear out (with particle sizes as small as 4-5 microns). Even if the manufacturer says the service life of a common rail diesel filter is 40k km, it makes a lot of sense to replace at 15k-20k km, esp. if you are not sure of the quality/purity of diesel being filled.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 00:33   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I'm using them since last one year. The pack looks similar to this:
Thanks for the picture, this oil filter looks very different to the Diesel Swift oil filter which is MASS fitment. MASS uses UFI Oil filter which looks very different to the black one in your picture.
Old 31st May 2012, 08:44   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Thanks for the picture, this oil filter looks very different to the Diesel Swift oil filter which is MASS fitment. MASS uses UFI Oil filter which looks very different to the black one in your picture.
This is not the photo Swift Diesel filter. I just posted that to show you how the package of Bosch filter looks like. The bosch mobil filter looks like the MGP one.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 09:10   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

I tried getting some answers to my query in the Figo thread as well, but it seems nobody is aware. So, thought of posting here as there is talk of diesel engine oil filters here.

Can somebody tell me about the Figo TDCi's engine oil filter, what make is it & where is it located? And is there anything specific to be kept in mind when removing & installing the new filter?

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 31st May 2012 at 09:12.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:46   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Can somebody tell me about the Figo TDCi's engine oil filter, what make is it & where is it located? And is there anything specific to be kept in mind when removing & installing the new filter?
Ford typically uses Motorcraft brand stuff. You will need the tool to open the filter(It's a large 6/8 sided spanner kind of unit that fits around the filter. Typically 3-4" in dia). Some of the basic things to look out for will be apply some oil on the inner surface, and ensure it is seated correctly. The experts can help you with more details.

If you would like to do it yourself, get it done once outside and ask the mech to show you how it is done.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 09:56   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Condor you are correct. Motorcraft is the Ford parts brand. I am almost certain if it is made in India then it will be a re-badged Purolator or Elofic. This is normal practice, so nothing to cry about.
Old 14th July 2012, 00:11   #1027
BANNED

There is Gullf SuperFleet LE max, which is CH4, i have used this last time on oil service, this time i bought Mobil delvac 1300, which i think CF4, have anyone used Gulf superfleet LE max, which is cheaper at Rs.217/litr and mobil 1300 at Rs.236/litre. price in bulk packing. I bought 5 litres For Rs.1180.

Since, i have not read about gulf superfleet users review, i switched to mobil 1300, though the raitng was low
Old 14th July 2012, 10:51   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
There is Gullf SuperFleet LE max, which is CH4, i have used this last time on oil service, this time i bought Mobil delvac 1300, which i think CF4, have anyone used Gulf superfleet LE max, which is cheaper at Rs.217/litr and mobil 1300 at Rs.236/litre. price in bulk packing. I bought 5 litres For Rs.1180.

Since, i have not read about gulf superfleet users review, i switched to mobil 1300, though the raitng was low
Why not use Gulf Max TD? It is CI4 and cost around Rs. 220 / litre. It's good oil - I'm using this for last one year.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:56   #1029

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2012 at 15:38.
opalcute is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2012, 19:35   #1030
Senior - BHPian

I think this has been discussed at length through out this thread. A search should reveal most of the details on this aspect.

The only thing I would like to add on, its that "best" is a subjective term here. For some people, a particular oil may be the worst but for others, it actually may be the "best". So, my suggestion is to focus on your key requirements & choose an oil wisely according to them.

Drive safe.

Last edited by GTO : 14th August 2012 at 15:38. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 2nd August 2012, 03:10   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Guys, has any one used the Valvoline HDEOs? Any reports on how they fare against the other 15W40 HDEOs from Shell (Rimula range) or Castrol (CRB range) or Elf/Total?
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:49   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Guys, has any one used the Valvoline HDEOs? Any reports on how they fare against the other 15W40 HDEOs from Shell (Rimula range) or Castrol (CRB range) or Elf/Total?
I have used Valvoline Premium Blue in my Jeeps and have had no issues. They are 15W40 recommended for used in Cummins DG sets.

What is important is the API ratings of the oil IMHO!
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:57   #1033
BHPian

Did anyone tried buying engine oil online from http://www.vicky.in/shopping/engine-oil as i see they crater all kind of engine oil we can think off.Would like to know their response and genuineness in providing the same as there are many fake engine oil brands to be seen in market now.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:50   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
Did anyone tried buying engine oil online from Engine Oil as i see they crater all kind of engine oil we can think off.Would like to know their response and genuineness in providing the same as there are many fake engine oil brands to be seen in market now.
Prices are much higher than market price!! The site is good - so chance of getting fake is less IMO.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:05   #1035
BHPian

The Discussion in this thread is misleading to a lay person for most part except for some erudite comments by some of the members. Here's my two cents on the topic.

1. Most Diesel Car engines will easily last beyond 2 Lac Kms except Indica, which has been known to need rebuilding by 1.2-1.5 lac Km. I have not heard of anyone driving their cars to the end of their lives except taxi operators. For most of us the Car engine will outlast the cars body and our will to ride in it any longer. One only needs to fill recommended Oil & change to recommend filter at OEM recommended intervals.
2. The recommended oil & filter has been decided for a vehicle after extensive testing based on the operating parameters of the engine and is the most appropriate and cost effective for that engine. Filling in any higher grade oil or changing oil at an earlier date will not significantly affect engine life. Changing oil & filter much earlier is a waste of money and damaging to the environment.
3. An engine oil with higher drain period needs commensurately finer filters. Without high efficiency filters, higher grades of oil or Synthetic oils are useless. A high efficiency filter commensurately needs bypass valves & oil pump of matching efficiency to operate properly and not starve the engine of oil.
4. Lubricity of the base oil is of no importance at the temperatures at which modern engines operates. At these temperature various additives come into play and provide lubricity. Base oil provides lubricity only after starting and upto a low level temperature.
5. The finger test is only an empirical indicator of oil viscosity, which is not necessarily related to lubricity, and hence is not the most reliable of indicators of oil quality.
6. Only if you have done significant amounts of driving in dusty atmosphere then oil may be changed earlier.
7. The industry suffers from extensive duplication of packages and brand names and recycling of used oil. It is always better to fill from an OEM workshop under your supervision.
8. Any smoothness of engine perceived after an early change of oil is more psychological than actual.

Safe Motoring.
SR71A is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks