Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 13:37   #1006
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

I don't know about the chevy oil filter price but for my Swift D it cost only Rs. 150 (Bosch made). So, I change everytime I change oil. BTW MGP one cost Rs. 370/-. I use the Bosch one - it's no brainer!!
Old 25th May 2012, 13:46   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I don't know about the chevy oil filter price but for my Swift D it cost only Rs. 150 (Bosch made). So, I change everytime I change oil. BTW MGP one cost Rs. 370/-. I use the Bosch one - it's no brainer!!
archat68 -

It's not about the price, mate, the basic question here is, Is it beneficial and is there a need for it?

The Chevy recommended Oil Filter costs 585.

Thanks for the response though !!
Old 25th May 2012, 13:48   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Experts, if you may help -

I have planned a 5K oil change interval with Modil Delvac MX on my Optra.

Now the question that I have is, should I get the Oil Filter replaced each time that I change the Engine Oil?

Or, is it fine if I change the Oil Filter after 10K and Oil @ 5K?
Always accompany an oil change with a filter change. If you simply change the oil & keep the old filter what will happen is that the new oil will get contaminated faster as it will carry with itself some amount of dirt/residues trapped by the old filter & the new oil won't be that effective. Why save on a few hundred rupees on a new filter when you are spending thousands on the new oil?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:49   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the question that I have is, should I get the Oil Filter replaced each time that I change the Engine Oil?
You SHOULD change the oil filter along with the new oil.

In fact, I keep it like this: Every 10K kms: Oil + Oil Filter + Diesel Filter + Air Filter. Doesnt cost you a bomb!

No point wasting money by changing Mobil @ 5K

Last edited by panky12345 : 25th May 2012 at 13:51.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:52   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Why save on a few hundred rupees on a new filter when you are spending thousands on the new oil?
AI -

The Optra gulps 6.5L of EO, taking into account all the prices the Mobil D MX will cost 1600-1700 for the Optra, the filter an additional 600 odd, with the labour included, it'll close to 23-2400 odd, humm make me think now, moreso, after you have suggested for the OF change as well.

Give me some money !!

Thanks Mate.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:54   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
No point wasting money by changing Mobil @ 5K
Panky -

Any reasons why you think it's a waste changing oil @ 5K ?

How much does the Diesel Filter cost?

Thanks !!
Old 25th May 2012, 13:58   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Panky -

How much does the Diesel Filter cost?

Thanks !!
It is an excellent oil with lubrication properties being perfectly functional till 12-14K.. DF in my case (Indigo) costs around 130-150.
Old 25th May 2012, 14:02   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
It is an excellent oil with lubrication properties being perfectly functional till 12-14K.. DF in my case (Indigo) costs around 130-150.
Are you sure it is DF? Because DF for Swift is 1200/-
Old 25th May 2012, 14:05   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AI - The Optra gulps 6.5L of EO, taking into account all the prices the Mobil D MX will cost 1600-1700 for the Optra, the filter an additional 600 odd, with the labour included, it'll close to 23-2400 odd, humm make me think now, moreso, after you have suggested for the OF change as well. Give me some money !! Thanks Mate.
My goodness. There is some serious money involved in the Optra oil change. I believe the manufacturer recommended oil change interval would be 10K kms, am I right? Please stick to that. These oil change intervals are quite conservative & you can go w/o an oil change well beyond that

Quote:
You SHOULD change the oil filter along with the new oil. In fact, I keep it like this: Every 10K kms: Oil + Oil Filter + Diesel Filter + Air Filter. Doesnt cost you a bomb! No point wasting money by changing Mobil @ 5K
Quote:
Panky - Any reasons why you think it's a waste changing oil @ 5K ? How much does the Diesel Filter cost?
to what Panky has said. I know we all love our cars & like to pamper them. The genesis of going for a 5K oil change interval is to prolong the engine life, keep it smooth blah, blah, blah. Believe me, the 2.3K extra spent is not at all worth the added benefits. You car/engine would be as good if not better if you stick to the 10K change interval. Rather spend a part of that money on the fuel filter & air filter change as Panky has suggested. That would accrue more benefits in the long run.

Edit:

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure it is DF? Because DF for Swift is 1200/-
Guys we are confusing here between the two filters. What Panky mentioned here is the DF (Diesel Filter) for his Indigo (a non common rail engine). Normally a Lucas TVS or Delphi make comes in that range of Rs 130/-. What Archat is mentioning here is the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) for his Swift DDiS (which is a common rail diesel engine). Since the diesel is pumped at very high pressures, these common rail engines require special type of filters to separate out the minutest of the impurities, hence they are quite costly in the range of 1200/- odd rupees.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 25th May 2012 at 14:12.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:13   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
DF in my case (Indigo) costs around 130-150.
Pardon me panky, but NO WAYS the DF costs 150 bucks, it's much more expensive, I guess on the Optra, it's close to 2500 bucks.

Quote:

The genesis of going for a 5K oil change interval is to prolong the engine life, keep it smooth blah, blah, blah.
You guys are making me think before plonking the moolah !!

You are correct, the ONLY reason for me to plonk in the cash is the prolonged engine life, as I am planning to keep the vehicle for a good 7-8 years.

Thanks for the info guys !!
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:31   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon me panky, but NO WAYS the DF costs 150 bucks, it's much more expensive, I guess on the Optra, it's close to 2500 bucks. !!
DF (Diesel Filter) of Indigo costs 150 MAX. (genuine)
Old 25th May 2012, 14:35   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You guys are making me think before plonking the moolah !! You are correct, the ONLY reason for me to plonk in the cash is the prolonged engine life, as I am planning to keep the vehicle for a good 7-8 years. Thanks for the info guys !!
don't kill me, if it sounds that I am boasting about my car, but in 1.5 months from now, it would be completing 8 years, have done 1,12,325 kms as on date. Though it is one of the crudest diesel engines around in the Indian market today, it has served me well. Have stuck to the 10K oil change interval (only on 2-3 occasions oil was changed at 5K), that too not because I wanted, but the service guy drained out the good oil, 5K kms old, thinking that it was an oil change service.

The Optra's common rail diesel is far superior & you can easily pull it up to 1.5 lac kms or 7-8 years even if you stick to the GM specified oil change interval. There are other important things where you can put the money on that you save from sacrificing the 5K oil change.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 15:17   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
You car/engine would be as good if not better if you stick to the 10K change interval.
Totally agree with AutoIndian here. Mobil Delvac MX is good enough to use for 10k kms and beyond easily [have used it for 3 oil changes in my Scorpio]. An oil change at 5k kms is just throwing money away. Also, please keep in mind that the old oil has to be disposed off somewhere; it doesn't just disappear into thin air. So I request you to be kind to the environment as well as your wallet, and stick to a 10k kms oil change interval.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 20:15   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
from how long are you using the Bosch Oil filter? have you tried any other brand? like Purolator etc? how does the brand box of bosch oil filter look like?
Old 29th May 2012, 21:15   #1020
BHPian

I'm using them since last one year. The pack looks similar to this:
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-800pxbosch_oil_filter.jpg  

Most Viewed