Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:29   #946
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Folks,

After surfing thru this thread, can I presume that MOBIL DELVAC MX is still the best diesel engine oil to go for my Aria.

Please advise if there are any contrary opinions.

Cheers
There's a costlier cousin (MRP ~ 800/ltr) of Delvac MX,Fully Synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 (SAE 5W-40/API CI-4) that exceeds what 2.2 Dicor engine needs.I have been using it for past 40K odd kms with no problems whatsoever ! You can try that as well if your TASC permits.
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:40   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
Hi Sahakar,
I changed from Delvac MX to ELF Performance 3D 15w40 in my Verna and immediate change with NVH and pickup, the low end has improved and less down shifts than earlier .I had been using Delvac MX for the previous three oil changes and I would not want to go back after using ELF. I would recommend a try.

cheers
I will check it out. Only not sure whether it will work as well for the 2.2L DICOR as it works for the Verna diesel.
One advantage of the Delvac MX is that its build for commercial vehicles and TATAs engines are really commercial vehicle engines and not as refined and commuter as the Hyundais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
There's a costlier cousin (MRP ~ 800/ltr) of Delvac MX,Fully Synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 (SAE 5W-40/API CI-4) that exceeds what 2.2 Dicor engine needs.I have been using it for past 40K odd kms with no problems whatsoever ! You can try that as well if your TASC permits.
I will definitely move on to synthetic but only after run in has been done. So another 20k kms would be on mineral oil for me.

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:02   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will check it out. Only not sure whether it will work as well for the 2.2L DICOR as it works for the Verna diesel.
One advantage of the Delvac MX is that its build for commercial vehicles and TATAs engines are really commercial vehicle engines and not as refined and commuter as the Hyundais.

I will definitely move on to synthetic but only after run in has been done. So another 20k kms would be on mineral oil for me.

Cheers

Actually if you have done upto 10K kms on mineral then its more than adequate to move on to synthetic.No need for 20K! I have been running Delvac1 for the past 6K kms and i can certainly say that is the best diesel oil EASILY available in india
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:23   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Actually if you have done upto 10K kms on mineral then its more than adequate to move on to synthetic.No need for 20K! I have been running Delvac1 for the past 6K kms and i can certainly say that is the best diesel oil EASILY available in india
From what I have read, diesel engines take longer to fully run in and 20k is the ideal run before you move to synthetic.

Here's one sample write out for VW TDI engines and is true for all diesels. U can find similar ones all over the various auto forums.

Rules that apply for the life of the car
-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

10,000-60,000
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 550psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 510psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

60,000-the life of the motor
The engines I have seen so far using a 5w40 oil are maintaining 550 psi of compression pressure with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:45   #950
BHPian

Quote:
If that is the case , be sure of it as the specifications of ElF says

API CI 4/ CH 4/CF 4/ SL, ACEA E3/A3/B3/B4, MB 228.3/229.1MAN 3275, Volvo VDS 3,Cummins 20076/72/71,CAT ECF – I-A, Renault VI – RD/RD2life.
PERFORMANCE 3D 15W40 is recommended for all the commercial vehicles and tractors manufactured by TATA, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra, Eicher, Volvo, MAN, Mercedes, etc.

But more than that, both Aria and Verna have Common-Rail diesel engines and I think hence the behaviour should be similar.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:36   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prass View Post
If that is the case , be sure of it as the specifications of ElF says

API CI 4/ CH 4/CF 4/ SL, ACEA E3/A3/B3/B4, MB 228.3/229.1MAN 3275, Volvo VDS 3,Cummins 20076/72/71,CAT ECF – I-A, Renault VI – RD/RD2life.
PERFORMANCE 3D 15W40 is recommended for all the commercial vehicles and tractors manufactured by TATA, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra, Eicher, Volvo, MAN, Mercedes, etc.

But more than that, both Aria and Verna have Common-Rail diesel engines and I think hence the behaviour should be similar.
Thanks for the details. Yup it would work fine in the Aria too.

Let me see at what prices do I get the Elf Performance 3D and the Mobil Delvac. Then will accordingly decide.

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:18   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details. Yup it would work fine in the Aria too.

Let me see at what prices do I get the Elf Performance 3D and the Mobil Delvac. Then will accordingly decide.

Cheers
Elf performace 3d costs 247 rs/litre or around 1327/5L can. I think it would be cheaper than Delvac MX
Old 6th February 2012, 14:01   #953
Senior - BHPian

An oil change for my mHawk Scorpio SLE is due at 35k kms. I've used Delvac MX for the oil changes done at 15k and 25k kms, and am quite happy with it.

This time however, I'm thinking of trying this oil:Product Details

Any feedback about this oil from members?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 6th February 2012, 23:46   #954
BHPian

I have been using Gulf Max TD 15W40 (while its of the same specs of Delvac) on my i20 CRDI and Swift, both cars show significant improvement in torgue and fuel efficiency has litttttle improved....and somehow it turned out to be VFM than Delvac....just personal opinion
Old 14th February 2012, 13:56   #955
Senior - BHPian

I forgot some technical information that I gathered about Delo400 in the past. However, my belief is its supposed to be the best available in the India market, I always look for it and second preference is Delvec MX.

For past 4 refill, I have been using Delo 400 in my PalioD. the last 10L can I got was almost a year old mfg. You should check the mfg date and make sure its not too old, like 1-2 years or so (since you are going to use that over next 6-12 months) and another thing is it should be sealed properly. IMHO, Delo400 is an old time premium disel engine oil that still works very well (at least for my first generation PalioD engine). However, there are newer disel engine oils in the market thats been suggested for newer/later generation disel engines. Look for the specs and application details on their webiste and you should know.

Last edited by Ketan : 14th February 2012 at 13:59.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:18   #956
Senior - BHPian

Hello, Am planning to shift from mineral oil to synthetic oil at 30K. The question is, should i flush the engine or not? I am having contradicting views on the same.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:33   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Hello, Am planning to shift from mineral oil to synthetic oil at 30K. The question is, should i flush the engine or not? I am having contradicting views on the same.
I dont think you require the flush mate.

Its still a new engine, 30k is not much for the fiat MJD.
As the service guys to drain the oil completely. wait for 15 mins till it is out totally, put a brand new oil filter and 3 litres of oil.

I would still suggest Mobil Delvac MX over synthetic oil Call is yours.

Cheers
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 02:06   #958
BHPian

during my recent visit at a Mahindra workshop, saw an internal circular and a chart which mentions launching of Maximile (branded) Fuel Efficient Oil (FEO) - engine, transmission and differential. Some grade changes and heard of additives included. Overall the change frequency has been increased in each category of these oil for Xylo (I own), Scorpio, XUV500, Bolero vehicles. It also says to offer better mileage, if used in the combination ! I asked about the price, reply was marginal increase. In my next visit, I would try to get a snapshot of that literature.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:33   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
during my recent visit at a Mahindra workshop, saw an internal circular and a chart which mentions launching of Maximile (branded) Fuel Efficient Oil (FEO) - engine, transmission and differential. Some grade changes and heard of additives included. Overall the change frequency has been increased in each category of these oil for Xylo (I own), Scorpio, XUV500, Bolero vehicles. It also says to offer better mileage, if used in the combination ! I asked about the price, reply was marginal increase. In my next visit, I would try to get a snapshot of that literature.
5 cents from my side afer my recent oil change for Xylo MEagle.
  • After free services, Minor Service Interval is now every 10000KMs
  • After free services, Major Service Interval is nowevery 20000KMs only
  • Oil change with filter replacement + all wiper blades costed me only 3K whih means no significant increase in oil cost.
Old 30th March 2012, 13:12   #960
Senior - BHPian

Whenever i service my Ikon D at Autozone, Coimbatore, before draining the old oil, they used to empty a small sachet into the oil and run the engine for a while, and then they drain the oil.

I understand that this is some detergent, but is this available in the market?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks