Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 10:58   #931
BHPian

Re: Please suggest a suitable oil for W124 E250 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@Condor : Thanks for the reply. The manual leaves it to us to choose the SAE grade depending on the average ambient temperatures.
My mechanic asked to use fully synthetic without any specific reasons. However this is old gen engine and I would like to stick to the recommended oils. It is also mentioned that oils as per CCMC specifications are recommended over API specifications. I am not expert in this matter, but I was not able to find CCMC specs oil in Indian market. Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ravindra - I think the link below will be useful for you. Please read the section which starts with "The CCMC/ACEA". By doing a bit of research, you can find out an approproate equivalent grade oil in ACEA specification. Mostly it will be ACEA B3 and B4. For oils positioned as commercial oils, it will be E7 and E4 (E4 if fully syn, like Delvac 1).

Now if I may add 2 cents about Delvac 1, SAE40 oil is not thinner at all. So I think you should not worry about that bit. However, this being a API CI4+ rated and heavy duty commercial engine oil, I think it should have high levels of detergents to keep the engine clean of the soot etc. I think that's not very good for an old engine.

My suggestion, please use an engine oil which is neither too old nor too advanced. Something from 2000-2004 time frame should work fine in your car. Please note I am just thinking logical here, no technical analysis to substantiate anything.

BTW - was your car leaking engine oil before using delvac 1 or it started after that?

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Quote:
The CCMC/ACEA
The ACEA standards are prefixed with a 'G' for petrol engines and a 'D' or 'PD' for diesel. Coupled with this are numerous approvals by car manufacturers which many oil containers sport with pride. ACEA replaced CCMC in 1996 primarily to allow for greater read-across in test programs (eg. for viscosity, viscosity modifiers and base oil). The CCMC specifications were G (1 to 5) for gasoline, D (1 to 5) or heavy duty diesel and PD1 and PD2 for passenger car diesel. ACEA though have a slightly different nomenclature they can be summarised as A for petrol, B for passenger car diesel and E for heavy duty diesel. The ACEA grades may also be followed by the year of issue which will be either '04 or '07 (current).

Last edited by amit1234singla : 24th January 2012 at 11:01.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 11:03   #932
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

@Ravindra, CCMC seems to be the older nomenclature used in Europe. API is what the Americans use.

From the pic you have posted, you can use oils that have API CE or API CF-4 ratings. The PD-4 stands for Passenger / Diesel, and so you can try any of the regular oils- Castrol, Mobil, Total, Shell which are rated API-CE & above. API-CF4 should be fine, or you can try the higher API-CH. I dont think API-CJ / API-CI rated oils will help much.

One good option is to ping W124 owners on the forum & ask what they recommend.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 12:36   #933
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nope thicker oil is not the way to take care of oil leakages and would suggest that Ravindra you do take care of the minor leak as well. It is probably from a bolt in the sump. If from a pipe or pipe end then that could suddenly increase. Don't suggest a thicker oil also from the point of view of performance. But yes sometimes for older engines a thicker oil does help with lubrication/protection - for that would recommend that you pick up the standard recommended oil as per the manual and then add SPF oil additive (strictly in the correct or lower ratio per liter of oil) after about 2500 kms of use (mid life between 5K oil change interval) to boost up the oil consistency and oil level at the same time. If you observe a drop in performance discontinue the next time you change oil.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 15:27   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you stick to mineral oil, try the Gulf Max TD 15W-40. It is a API - CI4 oil so will suit the Safari Dicor too. I think TATA recommends lower grade oil, you will be using a better oil. The sweet point is that the oil is cheap, cost Rs. 850 for 4 liter.
I use it in my Swift D. Maruti recommends oil change at 10K KM, I change every 8K KM.

BTW what's the current market price of Mobil Delvac 1?
Delvac1 MRP is 4400 for 5L. You can get it for around 4000 i think
Old 24th January 2012, 16:36   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If you stick to mineral oil, try the Gulf Max TD 15W-40. It is a API - CI4 oil so will suit the Safari Dicor too. I think TATA recommends lower grade oil, you will be using a better oil. The sweet point is that the oil is cheap, cost Rs. 850 for 4 liter.
I use it in my Swift D. Maruti recommends oil change at 10K KM, I change every 8K KM.

BTW what's the current market price of Mobil Delvac 1?
How is this gulf oil for Swift D? Can you please compare it with Delvac MX(if used)? or regular oil which Maruti uses?

thanks.
Old 24th January 2012, 16:44   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The shell rimula has almost equal if not better cleaning properties as that of delvac mx.
I was comparing the HX6 with Delvac, & not the Rimula. In my personal opinion, I rate the Rimula over the Delvac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, so how do both of you substantiate your comments ?

Not what you feel, but what is the method of comparing the properties / ability of the two oils ?
The reason I say that Delvac would have better cleaning properties is because unlike HX6, the Delvac is an oil meant for commercial vehicles with long drain intervals. On the other hand, HX6 is meant for cars & not long-haulers.

@sri: The Max TD from Gulf is the cheapest decent diesel engine oil you can get. You could give it a shot.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 24th January 2012 at 16:47.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 10:42   #937
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

Folks - Where can i get mobil delvac mx 15w40 in Bangalore? The place i used to get it from do not stock it anymore. I need to give my car for service soon pls.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:45   #938
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

@NFS, did you check the Engine Oil thread ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Delvac is widely available. Are you facing problems getting the oil ?
Old 25th January 2012, 11:31   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@NFS, did you check the Engine Oil thread ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Delvac is widely available. Are you facing problems getting the oil ?
Yes , I have a problem getting it, hence the question. Can you share some contact details if you have it? Will check the thread you have shared as well

Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 11:37   #940
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends on where you live /work. I typically pick it up from Rajajinagar 1st block (RS oils near Subramanya nagar police station). Else JK automobiles in JC road.
Old 25th January 2012, 12:38   #941
BHPian

Is it suggested to change engine Oil filter along with engine oil change?
What about flush?

I did my oil change today and the service advisor suggested to change oil filter, but said that flush is not required as the car has run only 5k kms after last change.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:06   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Is it suggested to change engine Oil filter along with engine oil change?
What about flush?
Flushing not required until much later - past 60-70k. Or if you are moving between mineral to synth.

But change filter with each oil change. It is standard practice & recommended
Old 25th January 2012, 13:24   #943
BHPian

Guys,
Has the price of Oil increased in the recent past?
Asking bcos I recollect last year paying approx Rs 260 for Mobil Delvac MX oil (1 liter cans) and today when I checked, received the following quotes:
1. Mobil Delvac MX - 1 liter cans - Rs 300
2. Mobile Delvac MX - 5 liter can - Rs 1400

Are these the correct prices? This is for my DZire VDi's upcoming service

Last edited by f1fan : 25th January 2012 at 13:31.
Old 1st February 2012, 18:48   #944
BHPian

Folks,

After surfing thru this thread, can I presume that MOBIL DELVAC MX is still the best diesel engine oil to go for my Aria.

Please advise if there are any contrary opinions.

Cheers
Old 1st February 2012, 19:53   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Folks,

After surfing thru this thread, can I presume that MOBIL DELVAC MX is still the best diesel engine oil to go for my Aria.

Please advise if there are any contrary opinions.

Cheers
Hi Sahakar,
I changed from Delvac MX to ELF Performance 3D 15w40 in my Verna and immediate change with NVH and pickup, the low end has improved and less down shifts than earlier .I had been using Delvac MX for the previous three oil changes and I would not want to go back after using ELF. I would recommend a try.

cheers
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed