Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 12:53   #901
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Did you check with Ford SC's, which oil they actually use for this vehicle. I am fairly certain they use the same as in Fiesta/ Figo Diesel.
Have dropped my vehicle at at the FASS. On the way back, I prayed at a temple. The guys at my FASS are apprentices with no experienced engineer to be found anywhere in sight.

Q: what engine oil are you going to use?
A: Servo
Q: OK what grade and specification?
A: I don't know sir
Q: is the SM around?
A: No sir
Q: OK; will you find out and let me know?
A: yes sir

I spotted a Mobil Super HP 10W30 can of 4 litres at the accesories rack. I asked to have a look at the pack, but it was locked. I asked the guy attending my case to check if this will suit the vehicle and use the oil. He said he will first check if it is in stock.

What oil is this Mobil Super HP 10W30 and is it good to be used?
Old 25th November 2011, 13:05   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Have dropped my vehicle at at the FASS. On the way back, I prayed at a temple. The guys at my FASS are apprentices with no experienced engineer to be found anywhere in sight.

Q: what engine oil are you going to use?
A: Servo
Q: OK what grade and specification?
A: I don't know sir
Q: is the SM around?
A: No sir
Q: OK; will you find out and let me know?
A: yes sir

I spotted a Mobil Super HP 10W30 can of 4 litres at the accesories rack. I asked to have a look at the pack, but it was locked. I asked the guy attending my case to check if this will suit the vehicle and use the oil. He said he will first check if it is in stock.

What oil is this Mobil Super HP 10W30 and is it good to be used?
I know this is a little painful and time consuming, even after going to ASC. I have experienced that the best way to get these details is to see the stores manager, or better meet the guy who issues oil to the technicians. Just ask him I want to see which oil you issue for a specific car. He'll either show you the can or take you to the drum in which it is stored. You can then see for yourself what it actually is.

SA's are usually useless fellows when it comes to technicals. I once asked one what's the optimum temp cars usually run at and I got the answer 300'C! That's not just at Ford, but across the industry. I'm sure some would be well informed, but rare to find.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 25th November 2011 at 13:07.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:07   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ssh1979 : Have dropped my vehicle at at the FASS. On the way back, I prayed at a temple. The guys at my FASS are apprentices with no experienced engineer to be found anywhere in sight.

Quote:
ssh1979 : What oil is this Mobil Super HP 10W30 and is it good to be used?
This is a mineral based oil (not synthetic). Since it is 10W30, you can use this oil.

Note:
Castrol & others also use similar oils - mineral based, but with additives. Castrol calls it "Liquid Engineering"

Some info about this oil from Mobil:
http://64.8.120.101/user/data/file/l..._20W-50_en.pdf
JIASIN - Product - Mobil Super HP

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2011 at 13:11.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 14:14   #904

[quote=Amazing;2553958]yes , in pune also i bought a 5 litre pack at 1540, although mrp on new pack is 1645 or so.
quote]

Amazing,

Which shop did you buy the oil from? Shop details would be helpful. Any idea whether they stock Mobil Delvac 1 too?

Nishant
Old 26th November 2011, 16:14   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla
SA's are usually useless fellows when it comes to technicals. I once asked one what's the optimum temp cars usually run at and I got the answer 300'C! That's not just at Ford, but across the industry. I'm sure some would be well informed, but rare to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
This is a mineral based oil (not synthetic). Since it is 10W30, you can use this oil.

Note:
Castrol & others also use similar oils - mineral based, but with additives. Castrol calls it "Liquid Engineering"
Guys, I need a DIY guide. Any pointers? With specific references to this Ford engine (3.0 turbo diesel) would be a plus. I would love to DIY and live in peace and have control.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:40   #906
BHPian

Guys a query: Engine oil which used to drip from the dipstick in a Fabia TDI when fresh (less than 500 km since changed) becomes thick enough within 4000 kms to stop dripping - is it an indicator that the oil has become too think and may not be giving full protection.

When compared to my petrol vehicle (Dzire) the oil still drips post 4000 kms - very similar to when fresh.

I understand that carbon in a Diesel engine makes the oil thicker but this much?

Last edited by ragzv : 28th November 2011 at 10:46.
Old 28th November 2011, 17:37   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need a DIY guide. Any pointers? With specific references to this Ford engine (3.0 turbo diesel) would be a plus. I would love to DIY and live in peace and have control.
I do not have any specific information on the suitable oils for this engine. You can search if there is any information in ownership threads. Else google is your best bet. BTW, which oil did Ford ASC finally fill in your Endy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Guys a query: Engine oil which used to drip from the dipstick in a Fabia TDI when fresh (less than 500 km since changed) becomes thick enough within 4000 kms to stop dripping - is it an indicator that the oil has become too thick and may not be giving full protection.

When compared to my petrol vehicle (Dzire) the oil still drips post 4000 kms - very similar to when fresh.

I understand that carbon in a Diesel engine makes the oil thicker but this much?
I hope you are comparing the oils at same temprature. A cold oil will be much thicker than hot. Fabia I guess uses synthetic oil so I don't think it will lose lubricating properties in just 4k km's. Should remain good for at least 10-15k km's depending on your driving habits/ traffic conditions.

Finally, visible observations, hand test or oil dripping from dip stick are very flawed ways of judging oil quality etc. Do you feel the engine to be sluggish or coarse while revving your fabia (as compared to when the oil is new)?

Last edited by amit1234singla : 28th November 2011 at 18:04.
Old 29th November 2011, 09:32   #908
BHPian

Yes checked both only when cold, also find the engine as smooth and responsive when the oil was changed.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:40   #909
BHPian

Quote:
I do not have any specific information on the suitable oils for this engine. You can search if there is any information in ownership threads. Else google is your best bet. BTW, which oil did Ford ASC finally fill in your Endy?

Depressing.

Background: rains puring and lashing Chennai from 24-Nov to 28-Nov. Vehicle crosses the 9970K mark and is due for second free service which includes the FIRST oil change.

Fri, 25-Nov: drops off Endy at FASS. Delivery date of 28-Nov promised. Heck, I don't usually rush mechanics at their job, so I said OK.

Mon, 28-Nov: I had to call the SA at around 14:30 only to be told this: the power supply to the entire FASS goes kaput and wires burn because of rains, short circuit etc. All this while my Endy was just being raised on the hydraulic, heavy duty, armed ramp. They need to do this because the sump guard needs to be removed for them to access the drain plug. So my Endy is basically inches above the ground, suspended on a ramp. Nothing is possible till power supply is restored. "Promised" that the current was "expected" by EOD. I get worried, bunk office early and decided to raid the shop only to find it closed. SA phone switched off. SM doesn't pick up.

Tue, 29-Nov: SA calls me up in the morning and reports status-quo. In anxiety, I rush there to inspect the situation, wanting to make sure my beloved is OK, only to find it in the same situation as reported. Couldn't do much. No power, no nothing. I visit again in the afternoon, same situation. Thinking hard I asked for the option to take it to some other FASS. The only other FASS (of MPL Ford Chennai) that has this heavy duty ramp was in OMR which is a solid 50kms from this place. They provided the option of their driver driving it there and bringing it back (I hated this idea). Even to this plan, there were two constraints: 1) The arm of the ramp had to be lowered, which is not possible when it is in the middle of a lift. They said they could call someone who can check this out and see if it was possible. 2) The OMR facility (which I know is small) should be able to accept my vehicle amidst their bookings.

Chucked off this idea straightaway.

ON TOPIC:
Wed, 30-Nov: with a weekend long drive of 950kms (up and down) planned, I'm sitting with my face in my palms. I am now thinking of getting the vehicle out somehow and going on my trip and doing the service after that. It'll almost be 1K kms more than the recommended odo. Plus this will also give some time to the FASS to procure the oil I wanted. Problem is, I don't know if this is a good idea to skip the recommended service point by 1K kms.

Any opinions?
Old 30th November 2011, 11:48   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The arm of the ramp had to be lowered, which is not possible when it is in the middle of a lift.
I thought these are hydraulic lifts - and will possibly have a safety release valve to lower the ramp in an emergency.

Pls ping Nikhilb2008 if he is aware of this.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:06   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Where can I find Mobil Delvac in Mumbai - Probably some one from mumbai help me out.

Regards,
Kailash
Hi Kailash- Although your post is 2 years old, I hope this is beneficial for all here. One place I would recommend in Mumbai to buy lubricants is Auto Equipment at Opera House. Its a 40+ years old enterprise, genuine products and reasonable prices. A lot of clientele drive down from the suburbs just to buy oils and greases from them. They sell only lubricants and have a huge range to choose from.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:24   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Problem is, I don't know if this is a good idea to skip the recommended service point by 1K kms.

Any opinions?
I won't worry too much for the 1k km over run on scheduled service, considering 400-500 km's before/ after is usually considered normal. But I'd get it in writing from FASS that this won't impact your vehicle warranty since it's due to their problem.

Surprised to know they are almost shut down. Don't they have gensets, I mean they are losing revenue.

Finally, why did they want to take 3 days, for a routine 10k km service?
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:27   #913
Senior - BHPian

Recently changed my swift vdi's engine oil to a lesser known but reputed brand called Schaeffers.Grade-15w40.
Schaeffer Oil | Synthetic Motor Oils, Engine Oils, Diesel Fuel Additives, Industrial Lubricants Manufacturer
The difference was instant(atleast what i felt).Engine felt much smoother and responsive.Please note that i had seen a full demo of how the oil performed w.r.t the normal oil.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:40   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Recently changed my swift vdi's engine oil to a lesser known but reputed brand called Schaeffers.Grade-15w40.
Schaeffer Oil | Synthetic Motor Oils, Engine Oils, Diesel Fuel Additives, Industrial Lubricants Manufacturer
The difference was instant(atleast what i felt).Engine felt much smoother and responsive.Please note that i had seen a full demo of how the oil performed w.r.t the normal oil.
Thanks. Can you please post some more details about the oil you used. Grade is 15W40 but what's API & ACEA rating? Is it a diesel engine specific oil or good for both petrol & diesel (like Mobil1 0W40 is)? And what's the price? It will help if you post a link specific to the oil you used.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 2nd January 2012 at 15:42.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:02   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Can you please post some more details about the oil you used. Grade is 15W40 but what's API & ACEA rating? Is it a diesel engine specific oil or good for both petrol & diesel (like Mobil1 0W40 is)? And what's the price? It will help if you post a link specific to the oil you used.
Please find the attached pdf.
Price-1000rs/litre.I know .But one look at the demo,you would really yearn to try it out.Drain interval upto 20000km.By the way i even changed the gear oil to a lifetime one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 700[1].pdf (62.3 KB, 1059 views)

Last edited by rakesh_r : 2nd January 2012 at 16:06.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks