Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 13:09   #886
BHPian

Re: Engine Oil for Vista Quadrajet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
My Vista Quadrajet has run for about 29000kms. The time for an oil change is due.

The first 10000kms were done on whatever oil TASS used.
10000-19000kms Castrol Edge 5w-40 Synthetic.
19000-29000kms Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic.

Now i'm confused as to weather to fill Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-50 Synthetic???

The manufacturer recommended ones are,
API-CH4+MB228.3 or higher grade
1. Castrol GTX Diesel
2.HPCL - HP Milcy No.1 TGO
3.Exxon Mobil - Super 100 TM

What to fill???
Do you have an option to use your own oil while servicing at TASS? If so, in synthetic, I'd recommend Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 (not mobil1). It's API CI4+, price about 3700/5L. Second best option is Selenia WR 5W40. This is used in Fiat cars and is mostly available at TASS. Relatively cheaper as well (~600/L).

If any of the above are not possible, then I won't spend money on Mobil1 or Castrol edge synthetic for a diesel engine. Go for a diesel specific mineral and change every 7.5k km's. Mobil Delvac MX would be my pick.

BTW, castrol edge, mobil1 etc are all API CF for diesel, while your manual says API CH4 or better.
Old 25th September 2011, 13:09   #887
BHPian

Thanks rb2399.

So the delvac 1 5w-40 should do good. Is it available in 4lt. packs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Do you have an option to use your own oil while servicing at TASS? If so, in synthetic, I'd recommend Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 (not mobil1). It's API CI4+, price about 3700/5L. Second best option is Selenia WR 5W40. This is used in Fiat cars and is mostly available at TASS. Relatively cheaper as well (~600/L).

If any of the above are not possible, then I won't spend money on Mobil1 or Castrol edge synthetic for a diesel engine. Go for a diesel specific mineral and change every 7.5k km's. Mobil Delvac MX would be my pick.

BTW, castrol edge, mobil1 etc are all API CF for diesel, while your manual says API CH4 or better.
I normally take the engine oil to TASS and get them to fill it. So Mobil Delvac 5W40 seems to be the best option. What would be the interval required after a change on delvac 5w40???

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2011 at 15:29. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th September 2011, 14:26   #888
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Thanks rb2399.

So the delvac 1 5w-40 should do good. Is it available in 4lt. packs?
It's avaiable in 5L pack for ~ rs.3,700. Availability though now better than earlier, still not as good as other generic oils. Check with dealers in your place.

Quote:
I normally take the engine oil to TASS and get them to fill it. So Mobil Delvac 5W40 seems to be the best option. What would be the interval required after a change on delvac 5w40???
Depends on your driving conditions and driving habits. 10k-15k km oil change interval should be okay, where 10k is for bad driving conditions (say stop and go bumper to bumper traffic).
Old 14th October 2011, 01:02   #889

Hi,

I guess this question is answered somewhere else but I'm getting confused with the varying opinions so hoping for some definitive fix - what's the recommended oil change interval for a swift diesel when using fully synthetic Mobil Delvac 1?

I did the change from the standard oil (mobil delvac MX) at 9000Kms/3rd service and it made a huge difference. My engine does still sound sweet especially compared to the coarseness I felt and heard when I hit 6000 kms after the first oil change at 1000 kms/1st service. But perhaps not as sweet as 2k kms after the change to mobil delvac 1!

Cheers
goincrazy
Old 21st October 2011, 20:44   #890
BHPian

Hi,
I have a non-crde Scorpio Turbo 2.6Dx which has done 85,000 kms .
I have been changing Engine Oil, filters every 5000 kms at the authorized service center till 75,000 kms.
Today after it had run 10,000 kms since the last oil change, I decided to get the oil changed at the friendly neighborhood garage.

I went looking for Mobil Delvac MX as recommended in this and other forums. Somehow all the shops I visited had Mobil Delvac 1300 15-40 instead. They seem to not know about Mobil Delvac MX somehow. I have changed the oil to Mobil Delvac 1300 15-40. 6 Litres (5+ 1) costed me about Rs 1,250/= . Does anybody know what is the difference between Mobil Delvac MX and Mobil Delvac 1300 ? Has anybody used Mobil Delvac 1300 ?

Styler
Old 21st October 2011, 20:50   #891
Senior - BHPian

current price of Mobil delvac MX is 315/- per litre ; much to my surprise.
Old 21st October 2011, 21:29   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
current price of Mobil delvac MX is 315/- per litre ; much to my surprise.
yes , in pune also i bought a 5 litre pack at 1540, although mrp on new pack is 1645 or so. Demand is very high for this oil now due to increase of diesel cars on road.

Only fear is that, even after paying this high price , we should not end up getting spurious oil..who knows?
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:20   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I'm shopping for engine oil. Not looking to buy immediately as the first service is not yet done.

Ford Endeavour 3.0L Diesel Turbo. OM recommended oil:
API Service CD, CE, CF-4
ACEA B1/B3/B5
10W-30

Capacity is 7L.

Mobil 1 product info: Mobil 1 10W-30

To quote: Mobil 1 10W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Anyone know where I can get Mobil 1 in Chennai?
I need some technical expertise/advice. The service intervals for the Endeavour are 5K, 10K, 15K and +10K after that. The first engine oil change is at 10K.

My ride is scheduled for the 10K service this weekend.

1) Can I go in for a synthetic oil during the first change itself? Or should I wait? I have read posts on this thread where the suggestion is to go for synthetics at the 10K odo mark, but I guess that applies only to vehicles who would have had atleast 1 or 2 oild changes before that. Whereas 10K is the first oil change for my ride.

2) I can't seem to find 10W-30 listed as a Mobil product offered in India: Mobil 1 Products What are the alternate options? I am looking to stock up.

I'd appreciate any quick advice before I send my vehicle for servicing this weekend.

Revv' on team!!!

Last edited by ssh1979 : 22nd November 2011 at 10:24.
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:02   #894
BHPian

Quote:
I need some technical expertise/advice. The service intervals for the Endeavour are 5K, 10K, 15K and +10K after that. The first engine oil change is at 10K.

My ride is scheduled for the 10K service this weekend.

1) Can I go in for a synthetic oil during the first change itself? Or should I wait? I have read posts on this thread where the suggestion is to go for synthetics at the 10K odo mark, but I guess that applies only to vehicles who would have had atleast 1 or 2 oild changes before that. Whereas 10K is the first oil change for my ride.

2) I can't seem to find 10W-30 listed as a Mobil product offered in India: Mobil 1 Products What are the alternate options? I am looking to stock up.

I'd appreciate any quick advice before I send my vehicle for servicing this weekend.

Revv' on team!!!
Ford uses low viscosity oils for the sake of better fuel efficiency. This of course should be compensated by better lubricating hardware design. ACEA B1/B5 oils should be used for engines only where it is specifically recommended.

Now coming to your query, I don't think you will get a 10W30 spec fully synthetic oil. I think your best bet will be to use a 5W30 spec semi synthetic oil which is also used by Ford in Figo/fiesta diesels. This oil is Ford approved and is usually available at all Ford SC's. Some examples are:

1. Shell Helix HX7 AF 5W30 - meets fords approval WSS-M2C913-A & B
2. Mobil Super 5W30 - meets fords WSS-M2C913-A & B
3. Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W30 -meets fords WSS-M2C913-A & B & C

Last one I think is best of the lot. I think you should stick to any one of the above. You won't have any warranty issues as well. BTW, can you post the Ford approval # of the oil recommended for Endy? This will be similar to the #'s I mentioned above. You can actually do a google search with the approval number to see which all oils meet that approval and then see if any are available in India. The one's I mentioned above are for 1.4 TDCi.
Old 23rd November 2011, 22:06   #895
BHPian

Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 to be available in 1 ltr packs

Finally the best brew for diesel heart is available in 1ltr packs

After multiple email exchanges with Exxon Mobil they have confirmed the launch of Mobil Delvac 1 in 1 ltr packs.

I have also requested them to consider launch of 4 ltr packs.

Happy Revving...

Sateesh
Old 24th November 2011, 11:55   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Servo Futura-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
FuTura - D ( Diesel- API -CJ / API -SL )
Futura-D is API-CI, (and not CJ)[/quote]
I tried Futura-D in the Sumo this time. Cost in BLR: 200/- per liter.

The engine sounds coarse, especially when cold. After warm-up, it still is not as smooth as Mobil Devlac (not synth).

I am planning to try Castrol itself next time. May be my BS-III engine does not need higher rated oils.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:11   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
3. Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W30 -meets fords WSS-M2C913-A & B & C

Last one I think is best of the lot. I think you should stick to any one of the above. You won't have any warranty issues as well. BTW, can you post the Ford approval # of the oil recommended for Endy? This will be similar to the #'s I mentioned above. You can actually do a google search with the approval number to see which all oils meet that approval and then see if any are available in India. The one's I mentioned above are for 1.4 TDCi.
Amit, thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the approval numbers in my owner's manual. All it says is this:

All about diesel engine oils-image.jpeg

All about diesel engine oils-image2.jpeg

1) So can I still pick up any of the oils recommended by you?
2) More importantly, can I change to synthetic on my first ever oil change?
Old 24th November 2011, 14:21   #898
BHPian

^^ It is mentioned under the grade in the 1st picture. You can use Mobil Delvac MX (API CI 4)which exceeds the recommendation by the manufacturer.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:27   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

@ssh1979, refer to the temperature range in the pics you have posted. Your location states Chennai, where lowest temps will not even be close to 0 deg C.

In the pics you have posted, both oils are usable for the temperature conditions in your city. So you can use oil of either specification.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:56   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Amit, thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the approval numbers in my owner's manual. All it says is this:

Attachment 846947

Attachment 846946

1) So can I still pick up any of the oils recommended by you?
2) More importantly, can I change to synthetic on my first ever oil change?
Going by Endy's manual, you can pretty much pick up any oil from the market, and it will meet the specs. So I think it's the manual which is obsolete, not the oil which Endy needs. API CF4 was introduced in 1990 & CD was introduced in 1955! (source Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible).

Coming to your questions:

1. Yes, you can choose any of the oils which I mentioned above. They definitely exceed the specs required as per manual and are ford approved.
2. You can switch to fully syn at 10k km's. No need to do engine flush etc, jut make sure all the old oil is drained fully when engine is still hot. But will you get one with 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity?

Did you check with Ford SC's, which oil they actually use for this vehicle. I am fairly certain they use the same as in Fiesta/ Figo Diesel.

Most Viewed