Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 15:01   #871
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
The reason why i want to go for a better synthetic oil is because I will be using a tuning box and I just wanted the engine to run on best possible stuff. Had heard that Delvac 1 is the best. So was trying to know where I could source it. Now I'll have to search for the best for DPF equipped cars and see if it is economical.

Any suggestion??
I'd suggest change OE oil sooner than recommended. What's cruze's service interval? If 10k km's, change oil at 10k interval with every service and don't wait for 15k km's. That way car gets fresh oil sooner. You won't have any warranty issues as well. I see sagar also recommended the same.
Old 19th September 2011, 19:55   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes as amit mentioned,if cruze has DPF then delvac 1 is not suitable for it.You are better off sticking with the service center oil.Since you want to give your car the best,change the oil at a lesser interval,say 7,500 kms,instead of 15k.This way the car will be running with better oil and better performance! Its a win-win solution.No hassles of finding new oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I'd suggest change OE oil sooner than recommended. What's cruze's service interval? If 10k km's, change oil at 10k interval with every service and don't wait for 15k km's. That way car gets fresh oil sooner. You won't have any warranty issues as well. I see sagar also recommended the same.
Thank you for your suggestions!! Will probably resort to changing oil more frequently.
Old 20th September 2011, 16:23   #873
BHPian

I was at the M&M workshop yday and found a chart hanging, for the technicians to implement, which mentions the lube changes for Passenger and Commercial vehicles. The revision of that literature was dated April 2010 v2. I couldnt take a pic of same but noted some stats, wherein I have also put the costs of few as written on the package:

Xylo mEagle: (E series):
- Engine oil (OEM: IOCL Servo) used earlier was Maximile Supreme, with drain interval of 15K KM, now shifted to Maximile Crown with interval of 20K KM. Cost: 6 ltr Rs.1468; 1 ltr 249

- similar info about Gear and Transmission oil was mentioned, with Newer drain interval of 40K KM and 100000K KM respectively. dont remember the exact specs.

- even the Oil Filter which was earlier Maximile Scorpio is changed to Maximile Universal (OEM: Mahle). Cost: Rs.151

- Coolant: earlier was Maximile XXX bluish-green color (forgot name), changed to Maximile UltraCool violet color (OEM: Savita)

Xylo mDI CRDe: (D series):
- all above 'newer' specs were directly implemented in this vehicle.

I would try to get a copy of that chart next time and share.

- Wynn's Engine Oil Additive 325 ml @ Rs.395/- (approved by Hyundai)
Below Pics of front & back; image quality bad because of my low res mobile cam (Mods: if you could approve these images?)

All about diesel engine oils-wynns-engoil-addi-1.jpg

All about diesel engine oils-wynns-engoil-addi-2.jpg

- Diesel Filter (for NEF CRDe) Rs.1707

- Wynn's High Performance Lubricant Supplement additive for Gear and Transmission oils (approved by Hyundai): 125ml for Rs.395: one tube in each compartment.

regards,
Pranav
Old 20th September 2011, 20:55   #874
Senior - BHPian

There is an increasing trend of having manufacturer specific lubes. And the service classification is not mentioned anywhere.

Could someone list out these lubes, and their service classifications.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 22:01   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
There is an increasing trend of having manufacturer specific lubes. And the service classification is not mentioned anywhere.

Could someone list out these lubes, and their service classifications.

Regards
Sutripta
What exactly do you mean by service classification
Old 21st September 2011, 06:22   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What exactly do you mean by service classification
Service classification means the SAE rating/API grade.

Mobil makes super 1000 TM (API CH-4/SAE 15W-40) for TATA cars (Dicor & otherwise).
Then there's valvoline premium blue (API CH-4/SAE 15W-40) for Cummins engines (used in trucks & gen-sets).
BP makes TATA specific lubes under their MAK TATA brand (engine oils being CH-4/15W-40 for diesel engines)

I am not sure if these partnerships are made just for commercial gains OR the lube manufacturer really understands the innards of a particular engine and they adjust the composition of the oil accordingly.
rb2399 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:35   #877
BHPian

Engine Oil for Vista Quadrajet???

My Vista Quadrajet has run for about 29000kms. The time for an oil change is due.

The first 10000kms were done on whatever oil TASS used.

10000-19000kms Castrol Edge 5w-40 Synthetic.

19000-29000kms Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic.

Now i'm confused as to weather to fill Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-50 Synthetic???

The manufacturer recommended ones are,
API-CH4+MB228.3 or higher grade
1. Castrol GTX Diesel
2.HPCL - HP Milcy No.1 TGO
3.Exxon Mobil - Super 100 TM

What to fill???
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:43   #878
Senior - BHPian

Could anybody tell me if Shell Helix HX6 is good for Tata Safari DICOR 3.0L. I have used this oil in Indica NA and it did bring the lost charm to the engine. Or how is Shell Rimula?

I prefer Shell as I am getting this oil on a lower price than normal buyers reason being one of my relatives works in the distributors office.
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:59   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Mobil makes super 1000 TM (API CH-4/SAE 15W-40) for TATA cars (Dicor & otherwise).
Then there's valvoline premium blue (API CH-4/SAE 15W-40) for Cummins engines (used in trucks & gen-sets).
BP makes TATA specific lubes under their MAK TATA brand (engine oils being CH-4/15W-40 for diesel engines)
Thanks.
What about Mahindra Maximiles? Various grades too, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe we should have a chart with engine manufacturers name/ model on one side, and lube manufacturers name along the other side.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:44   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Thanks.
What about Mahindra Maximiles? Various grades too, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe we should have a chart with engine manufacturers name/ model on one side, and lube manufacturers name along the other side.

Regards
Sutripta
For CRDe,it is SAE 15W-40/API CH-4,I am not sure about their older engines.

The thing with this maxximile brand is it has changed hands so many times (Idemitsu-Savita-IOC-Shell-back to IOC) ,I really wonder if this oil is really M & M specific !! Or just the lube manufacturer repackaging their corresponding grade oils to Maxximile brand.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:15   #881
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Am pretty sure there is nothing specifically different in the co-branded oils.
Also pretty sure it's a device to keep dealers happy. (Have some personal experience of this!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th September 2011, 12:22   #882
BHPian

C'mon guys what engine oil...any one give suggestions! to my previous post #878

Last edited by petroguzzler : 25th September 2011 at 12:50.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:50   #883
BHPian

Re: Engine Oil for Vista Quadrajet???

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
My Vista Quadrajet has run for about 29000kms. The time for an oil change is due.

The first 10000kms were done on whatever oil TASS used.

10000-19000kms Castrol Edge 5w-40 Synthetic.

19000-29000kms Mobil 1 0w-40 Synthetic.

Now i'm confused as to weather to fill Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-50 Synthetic???

The manufacturer recommended ones are,
API-CH4+MB228.3 or higher grade
1. Castrol GTX Diesel
2.HPCL - HP Milcy No.1 TGO
3.Exxon Mobil - Super 100 TM

What to fill???
The only synthetic oil that meets API-CH4 is Mobil Delvac 1 (SAE 5W-40,MB 228.5).So you can go for that.
In mineral oils,you have many options and the details have already been posted in the same thread.
Please refrain from using synths like Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-50 as they are way too low in API grading (API CF/CF-4) and your engine demands API-CH4 at the least.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:58   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
The only synthetic oil that meets API-CH4 is Mobil Delvac 1 (SAE 5W-40,MB 228.5).So you can go for that.
In mineral oils,you have many options and the details have already been posted in the same thread.
Please refrain from using synths like Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 5w-50 as they are way too low in API grading (API CF/CF-4) and your engine demands API-CH4 at the least.
I thought that Mobil Delvac was for commercial vehicles.

In the following link at mobil.com, they have mentioned its applications for heavy duty vehicles and not cars.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Im confused
Old 25th September 2011, 13:06   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I thought that Mobil Delvac was for commercial vehicles.

In the following link at mobil.com, they have mentioned its applications for heavy duty vehicles and not cars.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Im confused
As long as the oil meets the specs laid down by the manufacturer (in this case API-CH4 and others like MB-228.3),you should not worry about its application.Many of us from this forum have been using this oil in their passenger cars and are a satisfied lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks