Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 22:51   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Crown - The engine oil.
Got into an interesting conversation with the Vice President - After Sales, Sterling Motors Gurgaon Mr. S. C. Dimri.

I mentioned that this Servo mineral oil 15W40 sold as Maxmile Crown and overpriced is no way suitable for anything more than 6,000 km between changes, maximum stretch is 10,000 km nowhere near the recommended 20,000 km interwal.

What cutting edge research has promted this ? There were no aswers some phone calls were made to some supposedly technical big wigs but no ashwer came nor were any technical recommendations found.

Who is the R & D director at Mahindra ? Lets ask him on behalf of Team-BHP, Vinod Nookla might help us he works for Mahindra.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 19:32   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Crown - The engine oil.
Got into an interesting conversation with the Vice President - After Sales, Sterling Motors Gurgaon Mr. S. C. Dimri.

I mentioned that this Servo mineral oil 15W40 sold as Maxmile Crown and overpriced is no way suitable for anything more than 6,000 km between changes, maximum stretch is 10,000 km nowhere near the recommended 20,000 km interwal.

What cutting edge research has promted this ? There were no aswers some phone calls were made to some supposedly technical big wigs but no ashwer came nor were any technical recommendations found.

Who is the R & D director at Mahindra ? Lets ask him on behalf of Team-BHP, Vinod Nookla might help us he works for Mahindra.
my Xylo's Maximile Crown oil was changed at 5K, 20K; currently ODO is 30K and as mentioned in manual the next oil change is at 40K.
this is an important discussion and will await some concrete data to clarify things.
thanks

Last edited by pcpranav : 12th September 2011 at 19:37.
Old 12th September 2011, 19:57   #858
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Finally put the fully synthetic oil into my i20 CRDI, car had done around 22,172 kms.

Since the engine requires 5.3 Litres of oil, I also purchased an engine oil additive [250 ml].

[Mobil Delvac fully synthetic oil 5 Litres, I bought this from outside] - 3,700 Rs
[Engine Oil additive from 3M, certified by Hyundai] - 340 Rs.

Feedback time, So how does the car feel after the oil change, one word "Silent", I was surprised, by how much the clattering had gone down. I would still reserve my full verdict on the oil change, but it definitely feels better than the mineral, it revvs smoothly.

A special thanks to @csateesh for answering all my queries.

Here is an image of what went into the engine.

Previously the car ran on Shell Helix HX6 [Strictly an average oil], prior to this I had used Mobil Delvac MX.

So performance wise, Mobil Delvac MX > Shell Helix HX6.

Attachment 575365
A small update the car has done 23,9XX kms, so it has covered 1800+ on the synth oil, so thought of doing a small review.

Just one word, BRILLIANT. That is how I would describe my exp with the oil. If you go through my ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sunroof-8.html, you might see that I have mentioned that the engine feels gr8 upto 3000 rpm and after which it feels strained, now with this oil, the strain has gone, it revvs beautifully without making a fuss and the engine feels absolutely smooth, with a barely audible sound coming into the cabin, I floored the throttle and did close to 180 kmph [4000 rpm], there was slight engine noise, which doesnt bother at all. Just brilliant. The engine feels gr8 but is only let down by the pathetic handling of the car and lifeless steering, due to which the cruising speed comes down. The car just shoots from 100 to 150 kmph effortlessly.

I would say the oil is worth it, all of you should try it atleast once.

Last edited by rbp : 12th September 2011 at 19:58.
Old 12th September 2011, 20:20   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp

A small update the car has done 23,9XX kms, so it has covered 1800+ on the synth oil, so thought of doing a small review.

Just one word, BRILLIANT. That is how I would describe my exp with the oil. If you go through my ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...sunroof-8.html, you might see that I have mentioned that the engine feels gr8 upto 3000 rpm and after which it feels strained, now with this oil, the strain has gone, it revvs beautifully without making a fuss and the engine feels absolutely smooth, with a barely audible sound coming into the cabin, I floored the throttle and did close to 180 kmph [4000 rpm], there was slight engine noise, which doesnt bother at all. Just brilliant. The engine feels gr8 but is only let down by the pathetic handling of the car and lifeless steering, due to which the cruising speed comes down. The car just shoots from 100 to 150 kmph effortlessly.

I would say the oil is worth it, all of you should try it atleast once.

I totally agree with you rbp !! I am also using delvac 1 since 2k kms. And its worth every drop. Amazing smoothness. As you said it revs so freely now!! The best diesel engine oil available in market now..truly wow with this oil.
Old 14th September 2011, 15:24   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Cross posting here

Will there be a difference if the ratings are the same? the delvac MX and the Castrol GTD / GTXD that we use on our diesels are all used on commercial vehicles as well. I recall someone posting in the indica usergroup that he used CRB turbo in his indica. I was pretty aghast as well, but he later reported that it was performing pretty nicely.

EDIT: what's the API rating recommended for the endeavour? If its more than CF, we know who is to blame !
I'm shopping for engine oil. Not looking to buy immediately as the first service is not yet done.

Ford Endeavour 3.0L Diesel Turbo. OM recommended oil:
API Service CD, CE, CF-4
ACEA B1/B3/B5
10W-30

Capacity is 7L.

Mobil 1 product info: Mobil 1 10W-30

To quote: Mobil 1 10W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Anyone know where I can get Mobil 1 in Chennai?
Old 15th September 2011, 00:04   #861
BHPian

Hi Jasvinder,

When i serviced my innova i could see that the engine oil specification was 5W30. It could be Idemitsu.

Regards
Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Just bought a 5Ltr pack of Mobil Delvac MX for Rs.1300/- from Noida. If you can manage to pick it up from Noida, I can PM you the details. Ichanged the Oil at 5K service interval as I was not sure if the *** had used a diesel specific engine oil at the time of first service.

Does anybody know what grade of Diesel engine oil does Toyota uses/ recommend for use in Innova.

regards

Jasvinder
Old 17th September 2011, 02:09   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi Jasvinder,

When i serviced my innova i could see that the engine oil specification was 5W30. It could be Idemitsu.

Regards
Denny
Correct. I also checked today. It is 5W30
Old 18th September 2011, 08:35   #863
BHPian

Hey. I am interested in changing the the oil in my Cruze to Delvac 1. But I am not sure when to do it. Whether I should wait for 15000kms mark or do it after run-in of around 3000kms. Cruze come with synth oil from factory. So any advice on what I should do??

@sagarpadaki: Can you please share the price of Delvac 1? Where did you source it and what grades is this oil available in? And what are the quantities available? Cruze needs 6.5Lts.

Thanks!!
Old 18th September 2011, 11:01   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen
Hey. I am interested in changing the the oil in my Cruze to Delvac 1. But I am not sure when to do it. Whether I should wait for 15000kms mark or do it after run-in of around 3000kms. Cruze come with synth oil from factory. So any advice on what I should do??

@sagarpadaki: Can you please share the price of Delvac 1? Where did you source it and what grades is this oil available in? And what are the quantities available? Cruze needs 6.5Lts.

Thanks!!
I right now don't have the can of delvac 1 since I threw it away after using.

It comes only in 5 litre can and costs between 3500 to 3900 for the can depending on the shop. Where do you stay?

For cruze you have to buy 2 of these cans . See if you can rope in another cruze owner to share the oil from second can.you can share 2.5 litres each .use 1.5 litres and keep the remaining 1 litre for top up during the 15k running.

Since you already have synthetic oil no point in replacing it before hand. Wait for it to complete 15k and then change .
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 11:07   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I right now don't have the can of delvac 1 since I threw it away after using.

It comes only in 5 litre can and costs between 3500 to 3900 for the can depending on the shop. Where do you stay?

For cruze you have to buy 2 of these cans . See if you can rope in another cruze owner to share the oil from second can.you can share 2.5 litres each .use 1.5 litres and keep the remaining 1 litre for top up during the 15k running.

Since you already have synthetic oil no point in replacing it before hand. Wait for it to complete 15k and then change .
Thanks for the reply!!

I stay near Uttarhalli (banashakari 6th stage). Where did you source them?
Old 18th September 2011, 12:28   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen

Thanks for the reply!!

I stay near Uttarhalli (banashakari 6th stage). Where did you source them?
I usually buy oil from a shop named RSS co . Its on rajkumar road opposite vrl main office beside subramanyapura police station. His prices are better than jc road and stocks a wide variety of oils .

How many kms has your cruze clocked till now??
Old 18th September 2011, 13:00   #867
BHPian

Oh no I am yet to buy. Just waiting for the confirmation of date of the new Cruze. All this because I'm excited about the car.

I plan on installing RaceDynamics piggyback ECU (diestronic). So am making sure the car has the best possible stuff to run on. More like guilty of the greed for more power so want to "maskaofy" (butter) engine .

Thanks for the help!! Cheers!!
Old 19th September 2011, 10:16   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post

Thanks!!
rangakishen - I think Cruze is fitted with a DPF and in which case Delvac 1 not the right oil for it. DPF equipped cars need low saps oils which are rated ACEA C1 or C2 or C3. Delvac 1 ESP (Emission System Protection) meets this standard but is not available in India. So you need look for an oil which meets this criteria. I think GM SC's use Total 9000 LS (not normal Total 9000 but 9000 LS) which meets this standard and I'll suggest you to stick to it and this oil is priced very well, I think around rs.650/L. In india, Low saps oils are available but mostly in wholesale quantity (for SC's). In retail quantity, I am not aware if any of low saps oils are available. Total 9000 LS is available only in 25L cans.

BTW, why do you want to use your own oil when the SC is also using synthetic, and that too before experiencing the car's performance? Even if you want to do so, please make sure the oil meets the exact specs required by your car as per manual. Just my suggestion, best wishes for your new car!
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 13:25   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post

BTW, why do you want to use your own oil when the SC is also using synthetic, and that too before experiencing the car's performance? Even if you want to do so, please make sure the oil meets the exact specs required by your car as per manual. Just my suggestion, best wishes for your new car!
The reason why i want to go for a better synthetic oil is because I will be using a tuning box and I just wanted the engine to run on best possible stuff. Had heard that Delvac 1 is the best. So was trying to know where I could source it. Now I'll have to search for the best for DPF equipped cars and see if it is economical.

Any suggestion??
Old 19th September 2011, 14:44   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
The reason why i want to go for a better synthetic oil is because I will be using a tuning box and I just wanted the engine to run on best possible stuff. Had heard that Delvac 1 is the best. So was trying to know where I could source it. Now I'll have to search for the best for DPF equipped cars and see if it is economical.

Any suggestion??

Yes as amit mentioned,if cruze has DPF then delvac 1 is not suitable for it.You are better off sticking with the service center oil.Since you want to give your car the best,change the oil at a lesser interval,say 7,500 kms,instead of 15k.This way the car will be running with better oil and better performance! Its a win-win solution.No hassles of finding new oil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks