Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 11:59   #826
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Sridhar - if you need to change the oil at TASS only to keep the warranty intact, go for Selenia WR 5W40. This is what I did at 35k km oil change in my manza. Car is now at 37k km and it's as smooth as it can be. Also Selenia is only Rs.600/L vs Mobil1 which is rs.1,100/L. Due to lesser price, it's easier on the pocket to change this oil every 10k km. This is Fiat OE oil for Linea and Punto with 15k km recommended change interval.
Thanks Amit. The car has done only 10K and I will definitely change the oil at TASS during the 20k service. Need to find a TASS where they use Selenia. VST, arguably the better of the TASS in Chennai where I service did not have it and hence was planning to do elsewhere.

Was wondering if I could follow your route and use Mobil Delvalac MX now and change to Selenia during the 20k service even though the manual recommends only Synthetic.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:05   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Thanks Amit. The car has done only 10K and I will definitely change the oil at TASS during the 20k service. Need to find a TASS where they use Selenia. VST, arguably the better of the TASS in Chennai where I service did not have it and hence was planning to do elsewhere.

Was wondering if I could follow your route and use Mobil Delvalac MX now and change to Selenia during the 20k service even though the manual recommends only Synthetic.
TATA-Fiat SC's should have Selenia. If you have not done already, please check with one which services Fiat cars. This will be my first recommendation.

Mobil Delvac MX is also a very good diesel engine oil. It's 15W40 API CI4. I used it when I was in a hurry to change due to a 1000 km trip and my car was not doing well (may be due to mobil1 in for 10k km). This oil worked well and I used it only during delhi summers (due to 15W40 grade against recommended 5W40). I feel 15W40 grade is good for most of India climate conditions. Even Verna diesel engine with VGT runs on 15W40. You can go this route but won't recommend more than 7.5k km's on it. May be you can do till 12.5k km's on current oil and then change to this for another 7.5k and then at TASS at 20k. If you do this, make sure you use Tata OEM oil filter (is available at spare shops for ~350rs). No one, without a lab test report can make out which oil is drained out of the car, so Tata folks won't know about it. As per Manza manual what's the time limit for oil change (apart from 20k km's). I never paid attention to that as my car does much more than that.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:44   #828

I am planning an oil change in my new Scorpio which has just crossed 9k. Not very happy with the engine noise hence changing despite not listed in the second service (which will be due by 9500km).
Shortlisted to Oils - One is a Mineral and the other is Synthetic both are API CH-4 15W40 which is as per the Manual of the Hawk.
I would request Scorpio users (BSIV Hawk specifically) who have used either
1. Mobil delvac MX (which is a mineral oil)
2. Shell Helix Diesel HX6 (which is a synthetic oil)
to give me a feedback of their experience and the results, no of kms clocked after change etc.
Old 13th August 2011, 14:17   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
TATA-Fiat SC's should have Selenia. If you have not done already, please check with one which services Fiat cars. This will be my first recommendation.
As per Manza manual what's the time limit for oil change (apart from 20k km's). I never paid attention to that as my car does much more than that.
Thanks again. Per the manual the time limit for oil change is 1 yr.

BTW, did some research. From Mobil India website
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W40 is of the following quality: 0W-40
API CF X
SAAB X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - M2 X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - N2 X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - Z2 X

where

Fiat 9.55535-M2
Qualification for lubricants with extended drain. OEM recommended product also meets ACEA B3-04/B4-04, GM-LL-B-025.

Fiat 9.55535-N2
Qualification for lubricants with a very good characteristics for turbocharged engines, Diesel and gasoline, with extended drain. Minimum requirement is ACEA A3/B4-04.

Does it not imply that Mobil1 does meet the requirement of MJD? Secondly
Per the below link, Selenia WR 5W40 is also API CF not much different from Mobil1. So, I am confused now on where the issue is?

http://www.selenia.fi/pdf/1092_scat_ENG.pdf

Plus Mobil Delvac 1: Per the below link, Fiat does not certify its usage even though technically, it may be fit the bill
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 13th August 2011 at 14:29.
Old 13th August 2011, 16:56   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
I would request Scorpio users (BSIV Hawk specifically) who have used either
1. Mobil delvac MX (which is a mineral oil)
2. Shell Helix Diesel HX6 (which is a synthetic oil)
to give me a feedback of their experience and the results, no of kms clocked after change etc.
AFAIK, Shell Helix Diesel HX6 is not a true "synthetic" oil. It's a normal 15W-40 CH4 mineral oil. As per it's web page, it is a "Synthetic technology motor oil", which is just marketing fluff IMO. Just like the Castrol folks with their "semi-synthetic" and "intelligent molecules" stuff in the Castrol Magnatec ads.

Shell Helix Diesel HX6 - India

However, both the oils you have listed are very good quality mineral oils for diesel engines. I use Mobil Delvac MX in my Scorpio, and am quite happy with it. I follow a 10k kms oil change interval, but it can just as easily be used for a 15k kms oil change interval too. Engine noise and refinement is definitely better than when M&M OE oil was used [Maximile].

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th August 2011 at 16:58.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 09:08   #831
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Has anyone used Shell Helix HX6? I'm planning to use it at my next oil change. The price quoted at the Shell bunk is 272/litre

Last edited by teknophobia : 14th August 2011 at 09:38.
Old 14th August 2011, 17:08   #832
BHPian

Have used the Helix HX6 in my safari. I believe its a good oil well priced too.
Most shell range is excellent in fact.
Only peculiar thing i found in the specification was that its a diesel formulated for DIRECT INJECTION turbo diesel engine.
Most other oil specify that the oils are formulated for indirect injection turbo diesels.
What way this differs i dont know. Interesting though..
Old 14th August 2011, 20:43   #833
Senior - BHPian

I have put Shell Rimula R3 X which is 15W40 API CH-4 Engine Oil in our Indigo XL Dicor (May 2004, 1,33,XXX kms) and Xylo E8 (Nov 2009, 1,06,235 kms).
The Indigo XL has run around 500-700kms after change. But I have not been able to trace the difference. May be the engine has become a bit smoother.
The Xylo has seen oil change today. So cannot comment on that now.

On the Box, it is printed that the Oil is suitable for JCB, Trucks, Buses.

But since the Grade is matching the minimum requirement for Indigo XL (CF-4) and Xylo (CH-4), I am using it.

I will be using it in our Indigo LS as well when it will be due for the same.
Old 14th August 2011, 21:10   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
Has anyone used Shell Helix HX6? I'm planning to use it at my next oil change. The price quoted at the Shell bunk is 272/litre
I got it for 200 Rs a liter a month ago!
Old 16th August 2011, 11:53   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Thanks again. Per the manual the time limit for oil change is 1 yr.

BTW, did some research. From Mobil India website
According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W40 is of the following quality: 0W-40
API CF X
SAAB X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - M2 X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - N2 X
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - Z2 X

where

Fiat 9.55535-M2
Qualification for lubricants with extended drain. OEM recommended product also meets ACEA B3-04/B4-04, GM-LL-B-025.

Fiat 9.55535-N2
Qualification for lubricants with a very good characteristics for turbocharged engines, Diesel and gasoline, with extended drain. Minimum requirement is ACEA A3/B4-04.

Does it not imply that Mobil1 does meet the requirement of MJD? Secondly
Per the below link, Selenia WR 5W40 is also API CF not much different from Mobil1. So, I am confused now on where the issue is?

http://www.selenia.fi/pdf/1092_scat_ENG.pdf

Plus Mobil Delvac 1: Per the below link, Fiat does not certify its usage even though technically, it may be fit the bill
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40.
Sridhar - yes Mobil1 0W40 and Selenia 5W40 both meet fiat MJD specs. Infact, spec wise they both are similar except for different in grade of 0W vs 5W. However, I am not comfortable using any of these for more than 10k km's. So if I had to change at 10k mark, I went for Selenia which is 600/L vs. Mobil1 which is 1,100/L. That way it's easier on the pocket. Also, I did not have good experience with Mobil1 for a diesel car. But that could just be me feeling that way.

Entire Delvac range by Mobil is positioned by them as commercial vehicles engine oil. Hence this range is not approved by Car OEM's generally. However, based on what I know, Delvac 1 5W40 is one of the best diesel engine oil available in India. I think Mercedes also uses it in their cars. Read on the forum that Maruti is using this in SX4 Diesel, which is same engine as Linea and Manza. If Tata folks allowed me to use my own oil, this is what I would have gone for. May be after the warranty is over.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 16th August 2011 at 11:54.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:13   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Dear BHPians in Bangalore.

Finally I have some good news to share.

We should now be able to get Mobil Delvac 1 off the shelves of J K Automobiles in J C Road. First lot to arrive as early as mid next week.

Please contact the owners Satish (+919845065570) / Srinivasan (+919845016901)
Hi, Could you please guide us as to how to reach this dealer in Bangalore if you dont mind, or you could PM me please.

Does he sell 5 litre Can of Mobil Delvac MX to retail customers like us?

Any another retailer you are aware of in bangalore west areas who has Mobil Delvac MX.

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:11   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post

guide us ....

Does he sell 5 litre Can of Mobil Delvac MX to retail customers like us?

Any another retailer you are aware of in bangalore west areas who has Mobil Delvac MX.

Cheers
Are you familiar with Lalbagh west gate or Urvashi theatre ? Or even better do you know M T R on Lalbagh Road ?

J C Road is the road parallel to this road.

Drive on Lalbagh Road turn right at the dead end. This is a Y junction. Stay on the right lane and this is called Lalbagh Fort Main Road.

Keep Driving and at the light turn right again. Drive up a little futher you will see the BBMP Multi Level Car park.

The shop is in the lane right opposite to the MLC (Multi level car park).

They do sell it to retail customers like us in 5 l packs.. But call him before you head out so that you know that he has stocks

No one I know sells them at this price in around Bangalore West

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:20   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Are you familiar with Lalbagh west gate or Urvashi theatre ? Or even better do you know M T R on Lalbagh Road ?

J C Road is the road parallel to this road.

Drive on Lalbagh Road turn right at the dead end. This is a Y junction. Stay on the right lane and this is called Lalbagh Fort Main Road.

Keep Driving and at the light turn right again. Drive up a little futher you will see the BBMP Multi Level Car park.

The shop is in the lane right opposite to the MLC (Multi level car park).

They do sell it to retail customers like us in 5 l packs.. But call him before you head out so that you know that he has stocks

No one I know sells them at this price in around Bangalore West

Cheers
Yes i'm aware of the Multi Level car park, thanks for the route details mate.

Any idea about the latest cost of Mobil delvac MX 15w-40?
Do i buy a 5 litre pack? My DDIS requires 3.1 litre of oil everytime, planning to replace oil filter and oil every 6000km, wondering how do i manage with this 5 litre pack, can i get 3 one litre packs and 1 500ml pack?

Cheers
Old 24th August 2011, 05:20   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Yes i'm aware of the Multi Level car park, thanks for the route details mate.

Any idea about the latest cost of Mobil delvac MX 15w-40?
Do i buy a 5 litre pack? My DDIS requires 3.1 litre of oil everytime, planning to replace oil filter and oil every 6000km, wondering how do i manage with this 5 litre pack, can i get 3 one litre packs and 1 500ml pack?

Cheers
I bought Mobil Delvac MX for my swift vdi abs for Rs.280/L. MRP was Rs.290. I am sure you should be able to get it between Rs. 240 to 280 now. I checked and came accross lots of instances where M.A.S.S over fills oil and 3L is best fill for oil change with oil filter change.(2.9L for oil change without oil filter change). I bought three 1L can to not give room for any such over fill instance. I have did 3k km since the oil change and no issues with oil level going down and to specially say, Mobil Delvac MX is the best mineral oil for modern diesel engines. Engine character is now so matured than when I used Shell Helix Ultra(fully synthetic) earlier.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:06   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Have used the Helix HX6 in my safari. I believe its a good oil well priced too.
Most shell range is excellent in fact.
Only peculiar thing i found in the specification was that its a diesel formulated for DIRECT INJECTION turbo diesel engine.
Most other oil specify that the oils are formulated for indirect injection turbo diesels.
What way this differs i dont know. Interesting though..
It says suitable for turbo charged diesel engines and direct injection diesel engines. No where does shell packing say suitable for direct injection turbo engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
I just brought a 4 litre can of Shell Helix Hx6 for rupees 800.
It was sealed stock manufactured in Jan 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
I bought Mobil Delvac MX for my swift vdi abs for Rs.280/L. MRP was Rs.290. I am sure you should be able to get it between Rs. 240 to 280 now. I checked and came accross lots of instances where M.A.S.S over fills oil and 3L is best fill for oil change with oil filter change.(2.9L for oil change without oil filter change). I bought three 1L can to not give room for any such over fill instance. I have did 3k km since the oil change and no issues with oil level going down and to specially say, Mobil Delvac MX is the best mineral oil for modern diesel engines. Engine character is now so matured than when I used Shell Helix Ultra(fully synthetic) earlier.
Are you sure about sticking to 3 litre fills for DDiS?

I hunted more than 20 shops in bangalore west, no one has Mobil Delvac MX. Most of the shop owners called up the company distributor and assured to get the oil within 3 hours in the morning but the minimum packing available in bangalore is 5litres or 7.5 litres, 1 litre not there anywhere can anymore from bangalore confirm this please?

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 26th August 2011 at 23:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks