Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 19:18   #796
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Finally put the fully synthetic oil into my i20 CRDI, car had done around 22,172 kms.

So performance wise, Mobil Delvac MX > Shell Helix HX6.

Attachment 575365
What do you reckon are the chances of the 3M additive making the difference than just the synthetic oil ?
Old 5th August 2011, 11:58   #797
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
What do you reckon are the chances of the 3M additive making the difference than just the synthetic oil ?
I cannot confirm that 100%, but since I have used full synth oils in bike, I know that synth's do make the engine a lot smoother when compared to mineral.

Since the oil change I haven't had a chance to drive the car much, a couple of days back did a 50 kms drive on the ring road and got a chance to floor the throttle, boy o boy, what a difference it has made, it just revvs so smoothly, the car picks revvs very very quickly and it is smooth, even while revving, I am loving it. I expect the FE to improve too.

Finally is it worth the price? I will reserve my judgement on this, but to be frank the oil is costly. So if you the moolah, I would suggest you to try it at least once. All I can say is that the oil is 100 times better than the Shell Helix HX6 that I had used previously.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:27   #798
BHPian

My Indica Diesel Turbo DLX ( its having the Tata TCIC engine, not the dicor) is due for a oil change now , having 35K on the odo. I was using delvac MX , every 5k , since 10K on the odo. I am quite happy with the cars performance though using delvac mx.

Request you experts to let me know that if I want to put Mobil fully synthetic oil now ( also pls name the excat variant of diesel oil from mobil for this, I am not sure. Also whats the current price now for 5L can?) in this car, will it really make any substantial difference in engine smoothness / power delivery at lower gears upto 3rd gear?
since cost is almost 4 times , I need to decide on this extra spend. PS:I also undertake long times from Pune-Bangalore- Chennai etc twice a year in this car.

Pls let me know from your real experience if possible, many thanks.
Old 5th August 2011, 15:05   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Request you experts to let me know that if I want to put Mobil fully synthetic oil now ( also pls name the excat variant of diesel oil from mobil for this, I am not sure. Also whats the current price now for 5L can?) in this car, will it really make any substantial difference in engine smoothness / power delivery at lower gears upto 3rd gear?
since cost is almost 4 times , I need to decide on this extra spend. PS:I also undertake long times from Pune-Bangalore- Chennai etc twice a year in this car.
Pls let me know from your real experience if possible, many thanks.
Amazing, I have just come back from my 3rd service of the SX4 Diesel and coincidentally came acxross this thread.

The car has touched 10K kms and has been refilled with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 Synthetic oil today at MASS , the earlier refill was done at 1K kms at the first service so the car has run 9K kms so far.

If The engine oil grade 5W-40 is recommended for your Indica then I would say go for Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 , the engine oil is very good and the change in engine behaviour can be felt instantly , the pickup in lower gears improves for sure.

I paid 2500Rs for 3.1litres.

To conclude .. I would say it makes a substantial difference in engine smoothness and reasonable improvement in power delivery at lower gears
Old 5th August 2011, 15:15   #800
BHPian

[quote=Peter;2457613]has been refilled with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 Synthetic oil today at MASS
If The engine oil grade 5W-40 is recommended for your Indica then I would say go for Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 , the engine oil is very good and the change in engine behaviour can be felt instantly , the pickup in lower gears improves for sure.
QUOTE]

Thanks Peter.

The SX4 diesel engine is the multijet Common rail engine whereas mine is just the old block TCIC ( DI type).

Also, the recommended oil grade is 15W-40/50 for Indica , so I am wondering whether should I go for this 5W-40 delvac1 synthetic at all ? Will it deliver the similar improvements in the Indica as it did for your sx4 diesel block ?

Can any Indica/ Indigo users/experts shed some light here please ?
Old 5th August 2011, 22:51   #801
BHPian

@amazing, since you are already seem content with the performance is there any specific reason you wish to change. Elsewhere in this thread, i have posted my experience with castrol, mobil and mak engine oils. In my case, on using mobil 1 the oil consumption increased. I switched back to MAK/Castrol and oil consumption is back to normal/lessened. Very frankly i was unable to observe any quantitative difference in the performance when using different oils. The engine almost always sounds pleasant after a oil change/servicing I doubt if changing to synthetic is going to improve drivability or fuel efficiency. In my humble opinion cleaning/replacing the air filter helps improve pickup more than the oil itself.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:38   #802
BHPian

[quote=Amazing;2457629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
has been refilled with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 Synthetic oil today at MASS
QUOTE]

Can any Indica/ Indigo users/experts shed some light here please ?
I have had both cars and tried a number of different oils for the 1.4 lit TCIC From TATA. I have never tried pure synthetic so cant comment on the performance value addition.
Its just too damn costly to be put in a large sump like the Tata engine.
It takes in excess of 4.5 lit. doesnt it?
Have tried both the Mobil delvac mineral grades but frankly neither felt any better than any other API CH rated 15w-40 oil over the drain interval.
The MAK, HP milcy are as good as any in my opinion and if Tendualkar / Dravid was endorsing them , they would whip castrol
The Indian Oil made premium brand - FUTURA D i found to be the best iTS 15W-40, API -CJ is formulated for turbo diesel engines with intercooler and with EGR.
It retails at IOC bunks for about 220 /250 /lit. and They have 4 lit pack and 1 lit pack.
Try it. Its excellent !
IMO its better to stick to the 5000km /7500 km / 6 months interval and change to a reasonably priced mineral oil and OE filter. rEGULAR CLEANING OF AIR FILTER and change every 10000km would help a great deal.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 5th August 2011 at 23:41.
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 23:51   #803
BHPian

Highnoon, looks like I will not get any perceptible perf improvement.Last week, i had replaced the air filter , after 14k :-( and there is a change in pickup.

lets see , i will either continue with delvac mx or try the futura D of IOC as you have suggested. Will share my experience in the forum in a few lines after the servicing with oil change.
Old 6th August 2011, 10:43   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Highnoon, looks like I will not get any perceptible perf improvement.Last week, i had replaced the air filter , after 14k :-( and there is a change in pickup.

lets see , i will either continue with delvac mx or try the futura D of IOC as you have suggested. Will share my experience in the forum in a few lines after the servicing with oil change.
Do try the futura D. you 'll find it better than the Mx anyday.
I have felt engine feel course after couple of thousand km after oil and filter change on delvac mx. I have not felt the same smoothness on this oil for the entire drain interval.
Futura D is better. Castrol GTX is ok so is Valvoline All climate and Shell hELIX HX7. The pennzoil Turbo Gold though only API-CF4 ( i forget the name... ) is also good.

i used to clean the filter 2/3 times during the service interval. Takes rs.5/ 10 and any roadside tyrewala will clean it by tapping it first and then blowing dust off it. You can do the removal and installation urself.
Tata's have extracted all the juice from this particular engine and it needs all the extra cool air it can use.
Never ever use a 20w-40 in this engine. Turbo performs to potential on thinner oils.
This could be the reason why people having used 5w-40 swear by it.
The engine performance while cold would be way better as the thinner oil shall quickly circulate.
BTW i am using the futura D is my CNGed logan as well as its API -SL rated for gasoline as well apart from being API-Ci OR CJ RATED FOR DIESEL.
logan feels very smooth now and seems to run a little cooler than before.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 6th August 2011 at 10:58.
Old 6th August 2011, 13:55   #805
BHPian

I have bought a used Ford Ikon 1.8D recently, can someone suggest the Engine oil and gear oil grades? am looking at a mineral or semi synthetic oil

for engine oil the prev owner said any 20w 40 oil should do.
Old 6th August 2011, 16:17   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Do try the futura D. you 'll find it better than the Mx anyday.
Futura D is better. Turbo performs to potential on thinner oils.
This could be the reason why people having used 5w-40 swear by it.
BTW i am using the futura D is my CNGed logan as well as its API -SL rated for gasoline as well apart from being API-Ci OR CJ RATED FOR DIESEL.
logan feels very smooth now and seems to run a little cooler than before.
I have checked the ioc website , link is: http://www.iocl.com/Products/Automot...tingOils.aspx] , but did not find any mention of Futura D. Also i went to 3-4 big retail oil sellers of Pune , but all of them could not help with Futura D, they have not heard of the name.

Should I go to the ioc petrol pumps to get this brand ? btw, is this a recently launched oil brand from ioc ?
Can you please post any website link showing the photo of this oil ?
I am willing to try this brand this time ....
Old 7th August 2011, 16:09   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
I have bought a used Ford Ikon 1.8D recently, can someone suggest the Engine oil and gear oil grades? am looking at a mineral or semi synthetic oil

for engine oil the prev owner said any 20w 40 oil should do.
Hi AD !

Ford Ikon 1.8D ! Assuming its old and have lot on the odo , stick to 20w-40.
If its low run , you can switch to any 15w-40 CF4+ or higher ( I.E. CH / CJ /CI.... rated oil.)
Gear oil - SPIROL TQ/ MOBIL ATF if the gears are synchromesh and is in good condition.
If there is a lot of lash in the gear , then any 75w-90 / 85 w -90 EP /HP gear oil would do.
castrol / mobil / Mak / HP brand would be better.
avoid servo / gulf/ veedol.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 7th August 2011 at 16:13.
Old 7th August 2011, 16:17   #808
BHPian

Quote:
I have checked the ioc website , link is: http://www.iocl.com/Products/Automot...tingOils.aspx] , but .
Its about a year old. premium oils for high performance cars.
Future -P petrol ( API -SM this is not EASILYavailable)
FuTura - D ( Diesel- API -CJ / API -SL )

Nearest pump to you, i know of is kharghar ( shahid yogesh patil pump at sector -14 next to raghunath vihar ). I can try to get hold of address of a servo oil dealer for you if you like.
Old 7th August 2011, 20:03   #809
BHPian

Request somebody pls suggest a good vw 540 00 compliant oil for laura tsi.

Checked Mobil1 but one I could lay hands on (5W-40) was vw 505 00 compliant. Couldn't find castrol esge 5W-30 which is supposed to be 504 00 compliant. Not comfortable buying fron dealer as he's giving a fill by the litre from a drum and I don't trust them to know the grades.
Old 7th August 2011, 20:26   #810
BHPian

Try Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA (5W30) which confirms to VW 505 01 for diesel and shell helix ultra 5w 40 for petrol which confirms to vw 504 00 specs.
You might have to place an order oil dealer or if you have a shell pump nearby you can source it from them
hemen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks