Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 13:52   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
What's the cost of mobil delvac MX
MRP for Delvac MX is Rs.265 / litre, but it retails for less than that. I got it from a distributor in Pune for Rs.240 / litre.

Before using it, please ensure that it matches/exceeds the engine oil rating & specification given in your vehicle's user manual.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 17:11   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I have a Verna CDRi that has clocked 35k and now due for service, please suggest a good engine oil. I was thinking about the total engine oil. Has anyone tried Total engine oil? I am not looking at the synthetic and would be using the mineral oil.

Please advice which is a good mineral based engine oil is good the verna CRDi and now that is run 35k, should I try the STP flush and injector cleaners as well?

Thanks.

-Sajan
sajands - As per Hyundai, Verna CRDi needs 15W40 grade API - CH4 or above oil. I think Total does not have any diesel specific oil in retail category. They have one which is called 9000 LS, but that's only available in 25L cans and is synthetic. However, Total's sister concern Elf has a diesel specific oil which is called Elf Performance 3D. This one is a 15W40 mineral oil with API CI4 (better than CH4). You should be able to get it for about 1,200 for 5L.

If you can't source that, go for Mobil Delvac MX. That's again 15W40 mineral oil with API CI4 available ~1,300 for 5L.

If you want to use synthetic, go for Mobil Delvac 1 (not Mobil1). That's a 5W40 grade oil with API CI4+ rating. Price about 3,700 for 5L.

Lastly, you can try Shell Rimula R4. That's 15W40 mineral oil with API CI4 available ~1,300 for 5L.

You can't go wrong with any of these. Just ensure you don't get a duplicate and change at or before 10k km interval. Prices I mentioned are from Delhi NCR market. You don't need to do engine flush and injector cleaning unless you feel there is a reason to do so. If you don't do it already, just rev your engine once warmed up to about 3,500 rpm every week or so for 30 secs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 6th July 2011 at 17:21.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 01:19   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi blackfire_9,

Thanks, you can you tell me which one in total is it the quatz 9000 or 7000, is it mineral or syn? whats the cost?

-Sajan
hey there,

It was the 7000 I believe. it's a mineral oil & it costed me Rs.550 for a 3 litre can.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 10:53   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey there,

It was the 7000 I believe. it's a mineral oil & it costed me Rs.550 for a 3 litre can.
It's OT for a diesel oil thread but the above may not be correct. Total 5000 (15W40, API-SL) is a mineral oil and is available for about the price you mentioned.

Total 7000 is semi-syn (10W40, API-SL) and is about 275 per litre. However, both are petrol specific oils.
Old 8th July 2011, 01:26   #785
Senior - BHPian

^^ hey amit,

Thanks for correcting me, I wasn't sure but remembered it as 7000. It must have been 5000 then.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:30   #786
rbp
BHPian

Finally put the fully synthetic oil into my i20 CRDI, car had done around 22,172 kms.

Since the engine requires 5.3 Litres of oil, I also purchased an engine oil additive [250 ml].

[Mobil Delvac fully synthetic oil 5 Litres, I bought this from outside] - 3,700 Rs
[Engine Oil additive from 3M, certified by Hyundai] - 340 Rs.

Feedback time, So how does the car feel after the oil change, one word "Silent", I was surprised, by how much the clattering had gone down. I would still reserve my full verdict on the oil change, but it definitely feels better than the mineral, it revvs smoothly.

A special thanks to @csateesh for answering all my queries.

Here is an image of what went into the engine.

Previously the car ran on Shell Helix HX6 [Strictly an average oil], prior to this I had used Mobil Delvac MX.

So performance wise, Mobil Delvac MX > Shell Helix HX6.

All about diesel engine oils-img_20110707_080304.jpg

Last edited by rbp : 10th July 2011 at 19:41.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:43   #787
Distinguished - BHPian

@rbp, since you got the synth, I dont think the additive will help / be required.

Also, 300 ml less oil would still have been ok, since the oil level will be well above minimum levels.

Another option you can try next time is to ask the A.S.S to top up for 300ml - and charge you only for 300ml. This way you can get exactly how much oil you want.

EDIT: top-up at A.S.S may not be an option for you if you are going for Delvac1.

EDIT2:
Remember, a little less oil than max (as long as you are above min levels) is healthy, but oil above max level is not. So what you can do is add only 5L, then monitor it as you go. As long as it does not fall below min levels, you should be fine.

Last edited by condor : 10th July 2011 at 19:50. Reason: adding "EDIT2"
Old 10th July 2011, 19:44   #788
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@rbp, since you got the synth, I dont think the additive will help / be required.

Also, 300 ml less oil would still have been ok, since the oil level will be well above minimum levels.

Another option you can try next time is to ask the A.S.S to top up for 300ml - and charge you only for 300ml. This way you can get exactly how much oil you want.

EDIT: top-up at A.S.S may not be an option for you if you are going for Delvac1.
Thanks, I will do that the next time.
Old 10th July 2011, 20:54   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Finally put the fully synthetic oil into my i20 CRDI, car had done around 22,172 kms.

Feedback time, So how does the car feel after the oil change, one word "Silent", I was surprised, by how much the clattering had gone down. I would still reserve my full verdict on the oil change, but it definitely feels better than the mineral, it revvs smoothly.

A special thanks to @csateesh for answering all my queries.

Here is an image of what went into the engine.

So performance wise, Mobil Delvac MX > Shell Helix HX6.
@rbp - Good to hear that you have moved to Delvac 1

I am glad I was able to help you with the queries and shop.

Will wait for your detailed update on the performance..

How I wish you had told me that you needed the 300 ml of Delvac 1. I have about 350ml of oil left.

Hope you enjoy your ride better

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 10th July 2011 at 20:59.
Old 10th July 2011, 21:57   #790
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@rbp - Good to hear that you have moved to Delvac 1

I am glad I was able to help you with the queries and shop.

Will wait for your detailed update on the performance..

How I wish you had told me that you needed the 300 ml of Delvac 1. I have about 350ml of oil left.

Hope you enjoy your ride better
Cheers
Oh man, that 350 ml would have have definitely helped.
Old 13th July 2011, 21:12   #791
BHPian

After running my swift vdi abs on the wrong oil Shell helix ultra 5w40 from 10k km to 15.5k km, got the oil changed to Mobil delvac MX. Will change to Mobil delvac 1 at 20k km service. Got three 1L cans for Rs.870 and MRP was Rs. 885.

Bhpians in chennai. Mobile delvac 1 is now available in Patel motors, Tambaram (near MEPZ). MRP was Rs.4400 and he was offering for Rs.4200.

Changed oil and oil filter in Vishnu Cars, Pallavaram, Chennai. S.A. was so curteous and job was quick and neat. They did a great job when switching to synthetic engine oil on my Baleno. But still, the S.A. was saying 3.5L of oil is required. I showed the chart which was in their own customer longue that had 3.1L with oil filter change and 2.9L without oil filter change. He was embarrassed for a moment and adjusted saying that he told for swift petrol.I still showed that chart that showed 3.4L for swift petrol and I had to change the topic to save him off his situation.

Though I changed from a wrong synthetic to the right mineral, I was able to feel that the engine is very little bit noiser than earlier and engine not reving like earlier when on shell synthetic. Will be changing to Mobil delvac 1 when odo reaches 20k which wont take more than another 2 months..

Last edited by satish_tns : 13th July 2011 at 21:17.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:15   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
After running my swift vdi abs on the wrong oil Shell helix ultra 5w40 from 10k km to 15.5k km, got the oil changed to Mobil delvac MX. Will change to Mobil delvac 1 at 20k km service. Got three 1L cans for Rs.870 and MRP was Rs. 885.

You mean three litres cost you Rs.870?That is very high for Delvac MX unless the prices have been revised recently.I paid Rs.240/litre when i bought it 6 months ago.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:56   #793
BHPian

Tata recommends oil change for their TDI engines every 10,000 Km (mineral oil), for Multi-Jet (Quadrajet) it is 20,000Km (synthetic oil). TDI is confusing or misleading to the customers, Tata's TDI is not Direct Injection but Indirect Injection, the abbreviation stands as Turbo Diesel Intercooler).

I would like to know if we use synthetic oil for TDI engines, then how many kilometers it should before next change?
Old 14th July 2011, 17:02   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Tata recommends oil change for their TDI engines every 10,000 Km (mineral oil), for Multi-Jet (Quadrajet) it is 20,000Km (synthetic oil). TDI is confusing or misleading to the customers, Tata's TDI is not Direct Injection but Indirect Injection, the abbreviation stands as Turbo Diesel Intercooler).

I would like to know if we use synthetic oil for TDI engines, then how many kilometers it should before next change?
Fiat Multijet is 15K interval oil change !!!
Old 15th July 2011, 13:13   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You mean three litres cost you Rs.870?That is very high for Delvac MX unless the prices have been revised recently.I paid Rs.240/litre when i bought it 6 months ago.
Yes sagarpadaki. 295 was the mrp on the 1L can. Rs 15 was the discount from the MRP for the total amount for of three 1L cans. I dint want to search for it in any other place as I know we can get it for lesser cost outside but my travel cost incured in that will make my total expense costlier than this. So i had to go with this..

After driving for a day around 50 km, I can really make out the difference. Even I am not able to belive that it is now much smoother and silent. What I loved and also my brother who drives it rarely was able to feel was the low end performance. I was able to do 50 in 5th gear with no trouble and the wonderful thing was how it picks up from there unlike crying like earlier. I would say that Mobil delvac MX is really good. I can now surely guess how Mobil Delvac 1 (synth) would be. Just waiting for it..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks