Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 17:21   #766
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Logically thinking, this can not be correct. A common rail motor should need a minimum of CH4 oil for the engine to remain in perfect health. CD/CE are obsolete, CF4 is in use but only for older, non common rail engines. I am not saying you are wrong, but probably this is from the manual which can be wrong or not updated for a long time. Other members, please correct if I am wrong.

I would again mention, those who want to use synthetic in their diesel engines, please stay away from Petrol specific synthetic oils as they do not offer synthetic like protection to a diesel engine. Instead of spending on them, please use good diesel specific mineral oil like Delvac MX and change earlier than 10k km's. If you want synthetic only, please invest in Delvac 1. In my opinion, considering the oils available in India, anything else is NOT worth it.

EDIT: Also, please don't go by SA's and service centre's recommendation of the petrol specific synthetics in a diesel engine. They sell it to you at MRP and make a good amount of money by doing so. The oil does not do you what you expect it to, in a diesel engine.
Quoting my own post as I missed to mention this earlier. If the oil is approved by your car OEM with a special approval number, then it's good to use that oil irrespective of it's API rating. E.g. If VAG has certified VW 507 approved oils for use in it's CR TDI engines, then it's good to use all oils with this certification in those engines. Similarly, Fiat has approved Selenia WR 5W40 for it's MJD engines while this oil is only API-CF. Ford also has certified oils for it's TDCi engines. For more details please see below post by a fellow member ph03n!x.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2342811
Old 1st July 2011, 17:25   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even i have noticed the same with Hyundai service center too. They put the same synthetic oil for both petrol and diesel.shell helix.when asked they replied its grade is 5x40 and hence it can be put.they are totally ignorant about api specification.
There are multiple oils by the name Shell Helix, both for Petrol and Diesel. So unless there are more details available on the specific make, they just may or may not be different oils that are used at Hyundai. I think it might be a good study to identify the oils used by various A.S.S. for the various cars. I saw that Carnation used the wrong specification oil for Alto and on questioning, I was told that they use the same semi synthetic oil for all Petrol Engines that they service .
Old 1st July 2011, 17:27   #768
BHPian

Guys, I was about to buy Castrol Edge for my Punto Diesel, can anyone tell me if it will be good for the engine or should I get something else?
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:12   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys, I was about to buy Castrol Edge for my Punto Diesel, can anyone tell me if it will be good for the engine or should I get something else?
I prefer the OE oils suggested by Fiat [FYI Selenia 5W40 WR]

They are better than castrol edge IMO!
Old 4th July 2011, 13:53   #770
BHPian

Hi...Can u please advice that which engine oil should i go for my swift dzire D for her 10k service???
Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 03:58   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Venom View Post
Hi...Can u please advice that which engine oil should i go for my swift dzire D for her 10k service???
Thanks
I would suggest Mobil delvac 1 if you are going for synthetic and Mobil Delvac MX if you are going for mineral... Please dont do the same mistake that I did my puttin Shell helix ultra in 10k km service of my swift vdi abs. Also dont go for mobil 1. Mobile delvac 1 or mobile delvac MX would work out good..
Old 5th July 2011, 09:03   #772
BHPian

For a comparatively new engine it is better to stick to mineral oils such as Delvac MX and change the oil at recommended intervals.
Old 5th July 2011, 18:51   #773
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a Verna CDRi that has clocked 35k and now due for service, please suggest a good engine oil. I was thinking about the total engine oil. Has anyone tried Total engine oil? I am not looking at the synthetic and would be using the mineral oil.

Please advice which is a good mineral based engine oil is good the verna CRDi and now that is run 35k, should I try the STP flush and injector cleaners as well?

Thanks.

-Sajan
Old 5th July 2011, 21:09   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi Guys, I have a Verna CDRi that has clocked 35k and now due for service, please suggest a good engine oil. I was thinking about the total engine oil. Has anyone tried Total engine oil? I am not looking at the synthetic and would be using the mineral oil.

Please advice which is a good mineral based engine oil is good the verna CRDi and now that is run 35k, should I try the STP flush and injector cleaners as well?

Thanks.

-Sajan
You have the options of Mobil Delvac MX,Shell Helix HX6.Both are equally good and cost approx same.Make your choice.Havent tried Total ,so cant comment on it
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 21:12   #775
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.

-Sajan
Synthetic - Mobil Delvac 1
Mineral - Mobil delvac MX
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 03:13   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking about the total engine oil. Has anyone tried Total engine oil?

Thanks.

-Sajan
hey there,

I have used Total engine oil for my petrol car & it's good enough. Worth a try, I would say.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:02   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey there,

I have used Total engine oil for my petrol car & it's good enough. Worth a try, I would say.
Hi blackfire_9,

Thanks, you can you tell me which one in total is it the quatz 9000 or 7000, is it mineral or syn? whats the cost?

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Synthetic - Mobil Delvac 1
Mineral - Mobil delvac MX
Hi archat68,

What's the cost of mobil delvac MX and please advice on which is a good mineral based engine oil is good the verna CRDi and now that is run 35k, should I try the STP flush and injector cleaners as well?

Thanks.

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You have the options of Mobil Delvac MX,Shell Helix HX6.Both are equally good and cost approx same.Make your choice.Havent tried Total ,so cant comment on it
Hi Sagarpadaki,

Which one are you using? I had tried the Shell Rimula and was not happy about the overall performance, found Servo much better than Shell Rimula.

-Sajan

Last edited by Eddy : 6th July 2011 at 12:13. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:11   #778
Senior - BHPian

Let is not split hair. Any oil from a decent manufacturer will be fine. Just look at the API ratings and choose.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:18   #779
Senior - BHPian

I'm becoming more and more inclined to believe that non CRDI engines are better off with older engine oils, or at least the indica diesel engine. Folks here recommended delvac MX, delo 400 etc, all with progressively worse results. Finally my current TASC used some HP milcy, and the smoothness is back. This has been confirmed with other indica /indigo owners. Any non CRDI engined vehicle owners have any comment?
Old 6th July 2011, 13:44   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Hi archat68,

What's the cost of mobil delvac MX and please advice on which is a good mineral based engine oil is good the verna CRDi and now that is run 35k, should I try the STP flush and injector cleaners as well?

Thanks.

-Sajan
Delvac MX should cost around 1000Rs. for 5L. At 35K KM engine flush and injector cleaning is not required if the car is maintained properly earlier.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks