Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 21:28   #706
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

My swift vdi's manual specifies that the engine oil to be used is the one that meets API CG4. The one I am using now is only CF. Will change to the right one as soon as possible. Yes, A.S.S throws Warranty at us if we use any other engine oil than the one they use, on the occurance of any issue due to oil change. Even I was given the disclaimer that Maruti will not be responsible for any damage to the engine in case if there is any problem with changing the oil to the one I gave (Shell Helix Ultra 5W40).

Since they are not ready to either be knowledgeable on various kinds of engine oils or understand that few issues are not caused due to the oil that we buy and give rather than the one they use. So on this case, I belive that it is we who have to be more careful in getting the right oil as A.S.S are not able to find it even if we give them a wong oil to fill in. This is from my own experience..
Old 14th May 2011, 21:53   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
My swift vdi's manual specifies that the engine oil to be used is the one that meets API CG4. The one I am using now is only CF. Will change to the right one as soon as possible. Yes, A.S.S throws Warranty at us if we use any other engine oil than the one they use, on the occurance of any issue due to oil change. Even I was given the disclaimer that Maruti will not be responsible for any damage to the engine in case if there is any problem with changing the oil to the one I gave (Shell Helix Ultra 5W40).
Shell Helix Ultra is a decent synthetic for petrols (SM grade) - and not a great one for Diesels. If you want synthetic oil for your car, go with Mobil Delvac 1 - it is available off the shelf in our city. PM me in case you want help finding it
ph03n!x is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 22:05   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Shell Helix Ultra is a decent synthetic for petrols (SM grade) - and not a great one for Diesels. If you want synthetic oil for your car, go with Mobil Delvac 1 - it is available off the shelf in our city. PM me in case you want help finding it
Thankyou ph03n!x. My swift has done 12k km now. Will be changing to mobil delvac 1 when odo reads 15k km. Will PM you when I need. Probably by end of next month...
Old 18th May 2011, 16:32   #709
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
AFAIK, Castrol CRB Turbo is only for commercial vehicles! To reconfirm, I visited the Castrol India site. I do NOT see CRB Turbo listed under "passenger vehicles". However, it was there under the commercial vehicles category.

Umm, wrong oil?
Will there be a difference if the ratings are the same? the delvac MX and the Castrol GTD / GTXD that we use on our diesels are all used on commercial vehicles as well. I recall someone posting in the indica usergroup that he used CRB turbo in his indica. I was pretty aghast as well, but he later reported that it was performing pretty nicely.

EDIT: what's the API rating recommended for the endeavour? If its more than CF, we know who is to blame !

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th May 2011 at 16:39.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:47   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou ph03n!x. My swift has done 12k km now. Will be changing to mobil delvac 1 when odo reads 15k km. Will PM you when I need. Probably by end of next month...
Satish_tns : I have just completed my 1st Service at a Maruti Service Station ( Automotive Navi Mumbai ) of my SX4 Diesel and to my surprise and delight they have replaced the Engine oil with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 which costed me about Rs 620 per litre.

Maybe the service station at your end maybe providing the same ? worth checking it out maybe !! cause the technician informed that Maruti is using this Oil for their Diesel engines at Service Stations.
Old 18th May 2011, 17:01   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Cross posting here

Will there be a difference if the ratings are the same? the delvac MX and the Castrol GTD / GTXD that we use on our diesels are all used on commercial vehicles as well. I recall someone posting in the indica usergroup that he used CRB turbo in his indica. I was pretty aghast as well, but he later reported that it was performing pretty nicely.

EDIT: what's the API rating recommended for the endeavour? If its more than CF, we know who is to blame !
The oil grade and API, ACEA ratings should be a good enough criteria to decide to go for an oil or not. I think the entire Delvac range by Mobil (including Delvac 1) is marketed by them as commercial vehicle engine oil. Still it works like a charm on the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Satish_tns : I have just completed my 1st Service at a Maruti Service Station ( Automotive Navi Mumbai ) of my SX4 Diesel and to my surprise and delight they have replaced the Engine oil with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 which costed me about Rs 620 per litre.

Maybe the service station at your end maybe providing the same ? worth checking it out maybe !! cause the technician informed that Maruti is using this Oil for their Diesel engines at Service Stations.
This is a great news, and look at the price . I wonder why the MASS is billing it at less than MRP. I think delvac 1 mrp is Rs.4,400 for 5L. Or is 620/L w/o taxes? In any case, this is very good for the customer. Great oil and no warranty tantrum. A great move. I wish Tata also starts using this oil soon in their service centres.
Old 18th May 2011, 17:13   #712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Cross posting here

Even I am curious about the same.
Castrol CRB turbo
API-CH4 10W40 oil.
Meets the requirements for most modern CRDI cars. though castrol advertises it for commercial vehicles, I am wondering, what is so special in this oil, so that it cannot be put in cars!
Old 18th May 2011, 17:24   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm this is indeed Delvac 1 and not Mobil 1 - did you get a chance to see the can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even I am curious about the same.
Castrol CRB turbo
API-CH4 10W40 oil.
Meets the requirements for most modern CRDI cars. though castrol advertises it for commercial vehicles, I am wondering, what is so special in this oil, so that it cannot be put in cars!
Like amit1234singla has said, the entire Delvac range is positioned as commercial vehicle oil. I go by the specifications alone and completely ignore the positioning. I guess Diesel cars are still not in the minds of engine oil makers as a passenger vehicle
Old 18th May 2011, 17:48   #714
BHPian

[quote=ph03n!x;2356618]Can you confirm this is indeed Delvac 1 and not Mobil 1 - did you get a chance to see the can?

I got to see the barrel , it was indeed Mobil Delvac 1,

I think the same was mentioned in the Service receipt as well..though I do not have a copy of it now
Old 18th May 2011, 18:25   #715
BHPian

Good to hear that, Peter. By any chance, do you know what engine oil your SX4 D had in the begining, when you initially took it? How was the experience on the engine sound and performance after the engine oil change at 1st service?
Old 18th May 2011, 23:36   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got to see the barrel , it was indeed Mobil Delvac 1,

I think the same was mentioned in the Service receipt as well..though I do not have a copy of it now
That is really AWESOME on Maruti's part. Maruti owners from all across - do you get to choose Delvac 1 in your city too?
Old 19th May 2011, 14:06   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that, Peter. By any chance, do you know what engine oil your SX4 D had in the begining, when you initially took it? How was the experience on the engine sound and performance after the engine oil change at 1st service?
Dunno what was there earlier mate .. but the Delvac oil definitely made a difference ,

The Engine clatter was evident before the first Service , this was reduced after the Oil replacement , also the Engine is more smoother now that the diff can be easily felt,

Have done 3 trips to Mumbai/Goa and back already after the OIL change and the Engine has totalled settled in , just drives smooth as butter and at times can hardly tell whether its a Diesel
Old 19th May 2011, 18:58   #718
BHPian

@Peter : That's nice.

I came accross mobil delvac 1 5w40 and mobil delvac 1 ESP 5w40. What is the difference between these 2. Does anyone know what ESP means or stands for.

Also read through few info that states that CI and CJ spec oils are better for modern diesel engines with EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation). EGR puts the oil to more strain and CI and CJ spec oils does better than CG or CH spec oil on diesel engine with EGR (Engines meeting BS4). So here is the question. If the manufacturer's required engine oil spec is CG-4 (taking swift D as eg. as I have this car), can we use oil meeting CH and more like CI and CJ ? Will there be good effects or bad effects in using an engine oil which is higher in spec than the manufacturer's req?
Old 19th May 2011, 21:02   #719
BHPian

Oil for Linea MJD

My Linea MJD is due for its 5000 kms service in a couple of days. I am thinking of getting the oil changed too. While the manual recommends us to use Selenia 5W40, is it safe if I opted for Mobil Delvac 1 instead? Else, what is a good alternative?

Lastly, this is the 1st service of the Linea. Would you guys recommend that I get the oil changed now or wait for the 15,000 kms service. Personally, I am not too comfortable waiting till then.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:15   #720
BHPian

@iceman7: It is good to get the oil changed if it is scheduled to be changed in 5k km service for your linea rather than waiting for 15k km service. Selenia 5W40 is a good on but see the API secification required in the engine oil section in your car's manual. I am sure that mobil delvac 1 will be exceeding your manufacturer's oil spec but be sure to check and then use mobil delvac one if you want.

Since you already use synthetic oil, switching to mobil delvac1 will not make much difference like one would see when switching from mineral to synthetic.

Since this being the 1st oil change, there will be surely smoothness felt after the change no matter whether you go with the oil that A.S.S fill or mobil delvac1.

Point is, if mobile delvac1 meets/exceeds the API spec (like CG,CH,CI or CJ and so on) of your manufacturer, then go for it but dont expect noticeable changes as keep in mind that you already have synthetic oil.
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks