Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 13:14   #661
Team-BHP Support

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Forget cost, Delvac MX is crap.
I had used it in my tucson once and it made the engine sound very rough...switched back within 2/3 months to IndianOil Servo (the default oil that Hyundai A.S.S. use) for which I have developed great regards. It's a fantastic oil as far as regular mineral oils for diesels are concerned.

My experience was exactly opposite, moment servo went in DDiS sounded like a tractor. Experience so good that i decided to change the service center itself for the sake of oil

Tata engine somehow have a disliking for Delvac MX as reported earliers but Hyundai am hearing for first time.

For me Servo was one of the crappiest oil i have come across, in the 20 years i have known oils
Old 19th April 2011, 16:02   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My Scorpio 2.6 crde engine temp gauge needle has always been lurking around the 11-12 o clock position, ever since I bought the vehicle. Its never gone higher than 1 o clock, despite sometimes driving the vehicle quite hard for long distances on highways during midday in the hotter part of the year (example Bangalore Madras or Bangalore Coimbatore or Bangalore Coorg or Bangalore Ooty).

By the same yardstick it never seems to go lower than 11 o clock either. Once it is started up the needle creeps up and lurks around at that 11-12 position.

Ive been following the maintenance and servicing schedules pretty rigorously and like to look after the vehicle properly.

Is this 11-12 o clock normal? Will it never go lower than 11 o clock? even if say if I change the oils from the standard M&M recommended Mineral oil to some super synthetic one?
I have a few thoughts on this. Please see below:

1. Temp gauge calibration is different in different cars. However, I think, mostly the optimum running temperature in diesel cars is same (between 80-90`C). Now in some cars, this temp can be calibrated at the middle mark, in some just below middle. In case of Tata Manza 80`C is calibrated at 1/4 mark from bottom. While 90`C is calibrated in the middle of 1/4 and 1/2 mark and that's when thermostat valve opens and 99`C is calibrated at 1/2 mark and that's when the radiator fan starts.

I am not using 11-12 o clock positions to explain since in some cars temp gauge is vertical in some it's horizontal. I think, in case of Scorpio, 11-12 clock position should be indicating 80-90`C temp.

2. As over heating is bad for the engine, under heating is bad as well. So it is important for the engine to reach optimal running temperature for best performance and protection. So whichever oil you use, there is no need to worry about reducing the optimum engine running temperature. If that was to help, then there was no need to have thermostat valve in any car.

3. High speed highway runs do not result in high engine temperatures due to the sheer amount of air coming in from the front air dam. I do a lot of highway driving on NH1 in Manza and I have never hit the temp of 99`C which will make the radiator fan run. At max, my car has hit the temp of about 90`C on highway. Infact, it's the slow moving, bumper to bumper traffic with AC which makes the engine extremely hot.

Just my views, please correct if I am wrong.

PS - I understand this is probably off topic for this thread. But since it talks about the effect of oil on engine temperature, I thought of writing here itself. Cheers!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 19th April 2011 at 16:12. Reason: adding PS
Old 19th April 2011, 16:08   #663
Senior - BHPian

thank you amit
this input was illuminating - at least to me and for that I am obliged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I have a few thoughts on this. Please see below:

PS - I understand this is probably off topic for this thread. But since it came as a topic on effect of oil on engine temperature, I thought of writing here itself. Cheers!
Old 20th April 2011, 20:25   #664
BHPian

Shell Rimula R4 or Devac MX
Old 21st April 2011, 11:21   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
Shell Rimula R4 or Delvac MX
Vdrive - both are good diesel specific mineral oils with CI4 rating. I think it should be okay to use any of the two. BTW, which oil are you using currently and which car are you asking for?
Old 21st April 2011, 16:42   #666
Senior - BHPian

Vdrive - I am using the Delvac MX in the my Getz CRDi for 40k, and am pretty satisfied with it. Am trying to source Delvac 1 for this service. I have also been told that Rimula R4 is pretty good - some say it even felt better than Delvac MX - but I never tried it till now.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:50   #667
BHPian

@ amit : I'm asking for my Getz CRDi. Have you used Rimula R 4 ?

Thank you, Ph03!x ! Of course, I will be going for Delvac MX if Rimula is not available. Availability of Shell lubricants is an issue here. Not considering Delvac 1 since I don't travel much.
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:19   #668
Team-BHP Support

You have any shell gas stations nearby, most of them will have it or atleast can get it for you. ^^
Old 22nd April 2011, 21:29   #669
BHPian

Can anybody provide me contact detail for Mobil or Shell lubricant dealer in Kolkata?
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:24   #670
Senior - BHPian

After some drama, got this:

Behold a review in a few days!
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:56   #671
BANNED

^ See that is the point I am making, Delvac 1 says that it is for heavy duty commercial vehicles and does not mention cars. Then why do so many people put Delvac 1 in private vehicles?
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:24   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Can anybody provide me contact detail for Mobil or Shell lubricant dealer in Kolkata?
Hey Archat, sorry for not replying to your PM earlier. I saw your post this morning and remembered.

The Mobil wholesaler in Kolkata is Hindustan Oil Traders. If you're going from Khanna Cinema to Shyambazar, you'll see a brace of lubricant and auto accessories shops on your left. HOT is the 7th or 8th shop on the left. They'll give you Mobil Delvac at a good rate. Besides Mobil, they're also authorized distributors for Petronas.

You can contact them at (033) 25556117.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:52   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
^ See that is the point I am making, Delvac 1 says that it is for heavy duty commercial vehicles and does not mention cars. Then why do so many people put Delvac 1 in private vehicles?
This is one of the two Diesel-specific synthetic engine oil that is API-CH4 or higher - a requirement for my car (this oil is CI+, while there is a ESP version internationally that is CJ+). Though it is marketed as a commercial vehicle oil (Even Delvac MX is marketed as one), this is what the Mobil site has to say:

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). These applications include the following:
  • On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
  • Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
  • Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American, European, and Japanese equipment builders
  • High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
  • Refrigeration units
The other Diesel-specific synthetic oil I came across was one from OWS - but I have not heard good things about it yet.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:53   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
After some drama, got this:

Behold a review in a few days!
Awesome.how much did it cost for 5 litres?And what is the oil quantity required for getz?
Old 23rd April 2011, 12:16   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Awesome.how much did it cost for 5 litres?And what is the oil quantity required for getz?
The oil sump needs 5.3 liter with a filter replacement. 5 liters of this comes to 3900 in Bangalore.

Most Viewed