Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 16:48   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Please see post #614 on the previous page:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2307587

Yes, Delvac 1 is recently introduced I think and not many dealers know about it (or rather what's the application of it).

Delvac 1 pack says it's for commerical vehicle applications so many dealers continue to market Mobil 1 to diesel cars/SUV customers. Today, I showed them the API CI+, etc on the pack and they were puzzled. Another reason they think Delvac 1 is not for diesel passenger cars/SUVs is because it's cheaper than Mobil 1. In fact even I was surprized to know the pricing...
Anyways, I have taken the plunge so I can report by tomorrow on how it feels and if it really makes any difference at all to my Tucson, so you can wait for that if you want before putting money on Delvac 1.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:08   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it ok to put 5 litres of oil when the recommended is 5.3L?The reason is since the Mobil1 comes only in 5L can,procuring another 300 ml would be a royal pain since most of the oil dealers dont open a new container just to give 300 ml.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:09   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sagar, yes. Just make sure that the oil level as seen on the dip-stick is not below the lower mark. You should also be able to get a 1 liter pack of synth oil for such top-ups.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:58   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Delvac 1 in the UK and it mentioned heavy duty vehicles and all pics in the brochures were of trucks or buses or those racing trucks, There was not even a single photo of a car or a SUV.

So would it be advisable to use them in diesel cars?
@ Mustang this is the OEM oil used by Merc and BMW. It is delivered in 100 litre barrels to the A.S.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Mobil has Mobil 1 (synthetic) or Delvac (regular). Nothing called "Delvac 1"

Delvac is available as Delvac MX or Delvac Super. MX has a higher rating than Super, and is slightly more expensive than Super.
@Condor - We have had access to Mobil Delvac 1 for a long time. The only issue was that it was available only in 100 litre barrels. Finally after a lot of follow from the lead provided by Jaggu it is now imported and available in 5l and 1l cans

The details of Mobil Delvac 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Anand, I am wrong again on this one ?
Pls post a pic of this, would like to see if I can find it anywhere here.
@Condor - And for the pics of the product please check the post

And this is the fully synthetic diesel engine oil which meets CI-4+

Cheers
Old 12th April 2011, 22:46   #635
Team-BHP Support

Condor this is a different story and if Sateesh says Delvac 1 you better believe him! Now Sateesh how many kms have you done how does the Delvac 1 performing inside the engine?
Old 13th April 2011, 00:38   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh
@Condor - We have had access to Mobil Delvac 1 for a long time. The only issue was that it was available only in 100 litre barrels. Finally after a lot of follow from the lead provided by Jaggu it is now imported and available in 5l and 1l cans
They must still be imported in 221 litre barrels. And are bottled/repacked to retail quantities here in India.
Old 13th April 2011, 07:40   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
They must still be imported in 221 litre barrels. And are bottled/repacked to retail quantities here in India.
Are you sure? Who does the repacking? What is the guarantee that it is tamper proof and still genuine?

That calls for some serious investigation sir!
Old 13th April 2011, 09:02   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Condor this is a different story and if Sateesh says Delvac 1 you better believe him! Now Sateesh how many kms have you done how does the Delvac 1 performing inside the engine?
@Jaggu - My ride has completed 100+kms and the engine is lot more smoother, revs freely and now takes a longer time to reach optimum operating temperature. Will post on the mileage impact (if any) in the next 2 weeks or so

@Condor - We started the follow up with Mobil folks in India after we found out Delvac 1 wasn't available in India in 4l,5l and 1l cans using the contact provided by Jaggu in August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@nitrous - You are absolutely right about the 221 litre barrel as Mobil 1 initially wanted us to buy one barrel and distribute it amongst ourselves.

The only thing different is that the repackaging isn't done here and the 5l and 1l cans are imported as is

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Are you sure? Who does the repacking? What is the guarantee that it is tamper proof and still genuine?

That calls for some serious investigation sir!
@headers - It isn't repackaged here. So now worries. The can does comes with a quite decent tamper proof seal

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 13th April 2011 at 09:07.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:05   #639
BHPian

has anyone in delhi procured mobil delvac 1 ? any pointers would be helpful!
Old 13th April 2011, 14:19   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
has anyone in delhi procured mobil delvac 1 ? any pointers would be helpful!
Batra Auto Spares at Ashram has it. Best to call him before visiting, his numbers are there in Delhi NCR section in T-BHP directory. He quoted Rs.3,500 for 5L which I think is a good price.
Old 13th April 2011, 16:35   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Anyways, I have taken the plunge so I can report by tomorrow on how it feels and if it really makes any difference at all to my Tucson, so you can wait for that if you want before putting money on Delvac 1.
@anand - How does it feel in your engine. Do you see any significant difference ? Were you using a Mineral oil before you moved to synthetic ?

Waiting for your update

Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 16:54   #642
BHPian

A quick question to all Diesel oil experts. To make it simple, let me restrict the options to only two oils; Mobil Delvac 1 and Mobil Delvac MX. Some stats first:

Delvac 1 - 5W40, API - CI4+, ACEA - E4/E7, Price ~750/L
Delvac MX - 15W40, API - CI4, ACEA - E7, Price ~250/L

Cost works out to be the same if you were to use Delvac 1 for 15k km's and Delvac MX for 5k km's. So if you were the cost conscious type, which option is better for the engine, 15k km's on Delvac 1 or 5k on Delvac MX?

PS:
ACEA E7 : Euro 4 engines - exhaust after treatment (EGR / SCR)
ACEA E4 : Higher performance and longer extended drain

Last edited by amit1234singla : 13th April 2011 at 17:23. Reason: Adding last note
Old 13th April 2011, 19:41   #643
BHPian

Hi,

How does this compare with the OWS 10W40 Multilight Lx1 which is used in the petrol/ diesel and supercharged engines and light commercial vehicle?

Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 20:17   #644
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest 5k with delvac mx if your running is not much. If you do long haul highways or loads of city stop go then its worth delvac 1. But please note that it is still better to replace the oil at 7-10k mark.

Though i have not tried delvac 1, i definitely have a feeling that it would work much better on the engine, wrt refinement and maybe little better efficiency also, like any synthetic.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:49   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
A quick question to all Diesel oil experts. To make it simple, let me restrict the options to only two oils; Mobil Delvac 1 and Mobil Delvac MX. Some stats first:

Delvac 1 - 5W40, API - CI4+, ACEA - E4/E7, Price ~750/L
Delvac MX - 15W40, API - CI4, ACEA - E7, Price ~250/L
Forget cost, Delvac MX is crap.
I had used it in my tucson once and it made the engine sound very rough...switched back within 2/3 months to IndianOil Servo (the default oil that Hyundai A.S.S. use) for which I have developed great regards. It's a fantastic oil as far as regular mineral oils for diesels are concerned.

If you want to stick to mineral, IndianOil Servo is awesome, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@anand - How does it feel in your engine. Do you see any significant difference ? Were you using a Mineral oil before you moved to synthetic ?

Waiting for your update

Cheers
Yes, I was using mineral oil before - IndianOil Servo.
I just got my tucson back from service. Only driven 10 km so far so will provide detailed feedback on Delvac 1 tomorrow. I need little more drive to confirm if Delvac 1 has made any difference and if so how much. For now, I would say, it has not caused any adverse impact at least - unlike Delvac MX.

I also remember your comment that your car takes longer to heat up to the optimum temp - with Delvac 1. I will also look for any such thing in Tucson and report. Again, the comparison should be done with cold starts in similar climats - to be realistic. I know the landmarks on my everyday road to office by which the temp needle settles at the optimum during morning drive to office. Will keep an eye tomorrow on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would suggest 5k with delvac mx if your running is not much. If you do long haul highways or loads of city stop go then its worth delvac 1. But please note that it is still better to replace the oil at 7-10k mark.

Though i have not tried delvac 1, i definitely have a feeling that it would work much better on the engine, wrt refinement and maybe little better efficiency also, like any synthetic.
Hope so. I will now deliberately try to redline in first, second and third and see if the Tucson engine protests less than before. The service advisor was so enthusiastic - he has recorded the idling noise (near the right front wheel arch, as well as near the exhaust) before changing the oil, and now I will try to compare the same with Delvac 1 (actually, I want somebody else to compare this, both me and the SA can be under plasebo effect). And then of course I will try an early morning cold start tomorrow.

Will be hard to confirm FE changes - Tucson has always been very efficient - 10 to 12 kmpl - around 700km range on full tank and there has never been black smoke from exhaust...so Delvac 1 has a real challenge to prove itself on this front.

Stay tuned. Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 13th April 2011 at 20:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks