Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 23:23   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post

@amit - BIG NO. This isn't required. Oil flush is for the engine oil which means the wet sump and the areas the engine oil travels too.

Cat CON is for exhaust treatment. These are as different as chalk and cheese.

Hope you don't believe these A.S.S SA's..

Was able to source the best single malt for my ride (aka Delvac 1)

Finally I got my can of Mobil Delvac 1. Yes you read it right Delvac 1

Will get to fill it for my ride on Monday when it goes in for her service. Picture of it from the front

Attachment 528627

Picture of the API spec - Meets API-CI4+.. Yay

Attachment 528628

Jaggu thanks for the contact of Exxon Mobil

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Woaah! Super news so its available with the dealer? I also want to try it on snowie
Post some reviews folks! My rocket is headed for 40k next week, hope the distributor here manages to get it - have been chasing him for 3 months now
Old 8th April 2011, 23:30   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Woaah! Super news so its available with the dealer? I also want to try it on snowie
Jaggu,

The retailers aren't keen to stock it without large orders (to the tune of 30 units).

So connected a retailer with the distributor and he is stocking it.

Name of the shop is J K Automobiles on J C Road and the contacts are Satish (+919845065570)

He has agreed to extend good discounts on the MRP

Stated MRP is 4400 for 5l and he gave it for 3800/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Post some reviews folks! My rocket is headed for 40k next week, hope the distributor here manages to get it - have been chasing him for 3 months now
@ph03n!x - You need to wait till Monday for the feedback.

3 months is nothing.

My follow up with Mobil started in the month of Aug of '09.

Biggest issue I am seeing with the distributor is his unreasonable request for minimum order.

I fixed this problem by connecting up with a retailer who I know very well for more than a decade.

May be you should try this route if you know any retailers in Chennai who are willing to help you.

Cheers

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th April 2011 at 01:13. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 19:00   #618
BHPian

Mobil Delvac 1 - Wow

Folks

The effect of Mobil Delvac 1 is very good. The engine has now become super quiet and super smooth.

This is based on the 20 kms I have driven after the oil change.

Will report after my drive to work tomorrow.

Extremely happy with the effect guys..

Wish I can compare the before and after effects in a quantitative manner

Cheers

Last edited by csateesh : 11th April 2011 at 19:03.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:17   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mobil Delvac 1 - Wow

Quote:
The effect of Mobil Delvac 1 is very good. The engine has now become super quiet and super smooth.

This is based on the 20 kms I have driven after the oil change.
Actually, any fresh oil will feel like that. It's actually difficult for us to measure the effect of an oil change.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:51   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes,

I am going to try synthetic for my Hyundai Tucson CRDi tomorrow.
I asked the Mobil dealer to get me Delvac 1.
He said it's available, but it's meant only for commercial vehicles and trucks.
For Tucson, I should use Mobil 1 (SuperSyn 5W50). He showed me the can for this one which says API SM/CF VW505.00.

I insisted on Delvac 1 and he said Delvac 1 is a cheaper oil than Mobil 1 (5W50) and all Tucson, Fortuner guys have been using Mobil 1 5W50 only. I told him that Mobil 1 5W50 seems to be a good oil for petrol engines (it's rated API SM) but not so good for diesel engines (it's rated API CF), and he said, well take Delvac 1 if you want, but it won't be as good as Mobil 1 5W50!

What say guys?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th April 2011 at 21:07.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:57   #621
BHPian

Re: Mobil Delvac 1 - Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Actually, any fresh oil will feel like that. It's actually difficult for us to measure the effect of an oil change.
100% couldn't find any perceptible difference between mobil 1 (05W40), Castrol and MAK 15W40. Every oil change experience was the same but then maybe i don't know what specifically to look out for. My car is due for an oil change so if someone can enlighten me i will keep an eye/ear for it.
Old 12th April 2011, 09:11   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
100% couldn't find any perceptible difference between mobil 1 (05W40), Castrol and MAK 15W40. Every oil change experience was the same but then maybe i don't know what specifically to look out for. My car is due for an oil change so if someone can enlighten me i will keep an eye/ear for it.
@condor ,cyberwhizs - . Hence stated how I wish I could put forth my results in a quantitative manner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes,

I am going to try synthetic for my Hyundai Tucson CRDi tomorrow.
I asked the Mobil dealer to get me Delvac 1.
He said it's available, but it's meant only for commercial vehicles and trucks.
For Tucson, I should use Mobil 1 (SuperSyn 5W50). He showed me the can for this one which says API SM/CF VW505.00.

I insisted on Delvac 1 and he said Delvac 1 is a cheaper oil than Mobil 1 (5W50) and all Tucson, Fortuner guys have been using Mobil 1 5W50 only. I told him that Mobil 1 5W50 seems to be a good oil for petrol engines (it's rated API SM) but not so good for diesel engines (it's rated API CF), and he said, well take Delvac 1 if you want, but it won't be as good as Mobil 1 5W50!

What say guys?
@anandpadhye - Mobil Delvac 1 is THE synthetic for new gen CRDi's. As you rightly pointed out 5w50 supersyn is a good one for petrol engines NOT for diesel. 5w50 spec wise just meets the requirement of diesel while Mobil Delvac 1 exceeds the requirement.

Let us not worry about what the other guys use

If we can get Delvac 1 why not use it and reap the rewards.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:46   #623
BANNED

Hi, Even i do not know much about engine oils but i do know that Delvac 1 is meant only for heavy duty diesel engines like those in buses and trucks.

I once had brochure of delvac 1 in the UK and it mentioned heavy duty vehicles and all pics in the brochures were of trucks or buses or those racing trucks, There was not even a single photo of a car or a SUV.

So would it be advisable to use them in diesel cars?
Old 12th April 2011, 12:37   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@condor ,cyberwhizs - . Hence stated how I wish I could put forth my results in a quantitative manner

@anandpadhye - Mobil Delvac 1 is THE synthetic for new gen CRDi's. As you rightly pointed out 5w50 supersyn is a good one for petrol engines NOT for diesel. 5w50 spec wise just meets the requirement of diesel while Mobil Delvac 1 exceeds the requirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I once had brochure of delvac 1 in the UK and it mentioned heavy duty vehicles and all pics in the brochures were of trucks or buses or those racing trucks, There was not even a single photo of a car or a SUV.

So would it be advisable to use them in diesel cars?

Let's see.
I finally bought 6 ltr Delvac 1 5W40. (comes only in 5L can I was told - the dealer gave me a 5L and opened another 5L for me and issued 1L out of it in a water bottle). Total Rs. 4680.

I see that Delvac 1 is marked API CI+/CI/CH...while Mobil 1 was marked as API CF. So I decided to use Delvac 1. The Tucson manual mentions oil meeting API CH or more.

Let's see what I feel when I get Tucson back after service.

BTW, I did not find any VW rating marked on the Delvac 1. I was expecting to see VW505.01 but there is none. Mobil 1 was marked VW505.0.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th April 2011 at 12:39.
Old 12th April 2011, 13:52   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

You will find a perceptible difference if you use Synth oil. For regular oil, you would not make out any difference between oils of same grade but of diff brand.

Mobil has Mobil 1 (synthetic) or Delvac (regular). Nothing called "Delvac 1"

Delvac is available as Delvac MX or Delvac Super. MX has a higher rating than Super, and is slightly more expensive than Super.

@Mustang101, I am using Delvac MX on the Sumo. I know a few others here who are on the same oil for Swift etc. No problems seen.

For my recent oil change on my Sumo (done today morning), I even searched for Total Quartz. Quartz 5000 is rated SL / CF. And one brochure (from Peugeot ?) mentioned it was suited for pre-99 vintage diesel engines. I really wanted to try the Quartz (I think it is OE for Volvo), but dropped the idea since the Delvac MX is rated CI-4 (as against CF for the Quartz 5000).
Old 12th April 2011, 13:57   #626
BANNED

Quote:
Mobil has Mobil 1 (synthetic) or Delvac (regular). Nothing called "Delvac 1"
Mobil Delvac 1 does exist. It is a fully synthetic heavy duty engine oil. Here check this link.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
Old 12th April 2011, 16:07   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mustang101, ok - the link shows that there is a Delvac 1, but I dont think that is available in India.

What is available in India is:
All about diesel engine oils-mobil1.jpg
Old 12th April 2011, 16:33   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Mustang101, ok - the link shows that there is a Delvac 1, but I dont think that is available in India.

It's available.
As I mentioned, I bought 6 liters this morning and it's being filled in my Tucson while we speak.

In fact, if you read my post, the pack you have shown in the picture is exactly what I bought initially (on recommendation of the dealer) and then got exchanged for Delvac 1.

Mobil 1 5W50 (the one in your picture) meets API SM/CF, which makes me understand that it's a good oil for petrol engines but not so good for diesel engines.
Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40) meets API CI+/CI/CH... which makes me belive it's a good oil for diesel engines. Also. it's fully synthetic.
Mobil Delvac MX is also for diesel engines but it's not synthetic.

I think "1" (ONE) in Mobil's nomenclature indicates synthetic, "Delvac" indicates diesel applications.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th April 2011 at 16:41.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:35   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anand, I am wrong again on this one ?

Pls post a pic of this, would like to see if I can find it anywhere here.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:46   #630
Senior - BHPian

@condor - I have been chasing the Delvac 1 for a while one, and heard it is indeed available recently in 5 liter cans. No luck in Chennai yet though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks