Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 21:01   #586
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Definitely not good for the DDiS - have a bit of oil drained, maintain the level strictly on or a dot below the max limit.
OMG...! Max oil level is a point above in my Getz CRDI . Reason to worry...
Old 17th March 2011, 21:43   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdrive View Post
OMG...! Max oil level is a point above in my Getz CRDI . Reason to worry...
Not really. The DDiS has a known issue if you overfill the oil. My Getz CRDi actually had the oil filled a bit above the max mark during the last fill - have driven about 5k KM now, haven't felt any power loss associated with oil getting into the turbine...
Old 18th March 2011, 21:32   #588
BHPian

Thank you for the reply.

Anyway, I'm planning a change to Shell Rimula R4. Being API CI-4 rated, should be better

than currently used Sarkari Oil SERVO. Better the blood, better for the body..
Old 19th March 2011, 17:55   #589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Riju,

Best option for mineral oil would be Mobil Delvac MX. And if you are considering the best brew for your ride Mobil Delvac 1

Hope this helps

Since you live in around Sadhashivnagar you can call Sandeep the distributor who lives in Sheshadripuram @+919448397389.

If you have time on your hands you can visit J K Auto on J C Road and call Satish @ 9845065570

Hope this helps
This helped. I got a 5L can of Mobil Delvac MX for my car. This shop is small but one hell of a busy outlet there selling everything from oil filters to car bumpers!
Old 19th March 2011, 19:58   #590
BHPian

On diesels, CJ4 is the latest one can find. Its an API mandate released in 2006 for diesels upto 500 ppm.
in india, we have moved on to 50 ppm (11 cities) and 350 ppm sulpher for diesels starting april 2010.
As long as one looks out for "Fully synthetic" on its labels, its fine......b'cos oil cos go any heads in branding their oils as synthetic, though it may just be a partial mix of synthetic base oils, majority content being mineral base.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:31   #591
BHPian

I wanted to change the engine oil of my Swift VDi during the second free service at 5000 kms but the M.A.S.S. guys told me that since it is a new car there was no need to change it at that time. They said I may change it at 5000 kms intervals after the third free service.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:49   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
MAK (Bharat Petroleum) has launched the CI4 in 5L, 7.5L, 10L and 20L packs under the name MAK Platinum. They had launched the 210L barrels 3 years ago, but the smaller packs are being made available now.
I haven't used it, I plan to change the oil next time I drive down to Trivandrum.
Has anyone used it? Any feedback?
Was looking for the same when i changed it last october. Didnt find it, used MAK - Diamond - 15W40 CF4 for my Indica V2 DLS BSII, 33K.

Prior to using MAK - Diamond, TASC had put in Mobil 05W40 twice. For reason switching to Mobil from castrol led to increased oil consumption, had to top up with 1L within 2000 kms.

Oil consumption has reduced after switching to MAK - Diamond, it has consumed around 1L in approx 5000 kms. From a engine smoothness, noise perspective i haven't been able to find any discernable difference across various brands i.e. castrol, mobil, mak. May be someone can educate on what exactly to look for.

Any ideas on what is the normal rate of oil consumption in a IDI engine?
Old 24th March 2011, 21:29   #593
Senior - BHPian

@cyberwhizs,
We own a Tata Indigo LS (2004) IDI 475 Car which has run 2,14,000+ kms till date. But I have never seen our car consuming any oil between drain intervals. The Engine Oil level remains at the same level after Oil Change and before draining.
I fill 5 Litres of Engine Oil as against TML recommendation of 5.5 Litres. But despite filling only 5 litres, the Level settles at just below the Upper Marking.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:22   #594
BHPian

I think it should settle around that, it has to be 5.5L from what I have heard from my friends. And my 2,14,000+ kms that is nice to hear. Must be one well maintained car.
Old 24th March 2011, 23:13   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
@cyberwhizs,
We own a Tata Indigo LS (2004) IDI 475 Car which has run 2,14,000+ kms till date. But I have never seen our car consuming any oil between drain intervals. The Engine Oil level remains at the same level after Oil Change and before draining.
I fill 5 Litres of Engine Oil as against TML recommendation of 5.5 Litres. But despite filling only 5 litres, the Level settles at just below the Upper Marking.
That is an interesting data point. To my limited knowledge an IDI engine i.e. Oil Burner will consume some amount of oil. I have always seen the oil level drop over a period in time. What I am not sure of is the normally accepted rate of consumption.

Can any of the Oil Magnates out here please enlighten.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 24th March 2011 at 23:22. Reason: Removed a Typo
Old 26th March 2011, 14:20   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I think it should settle around that, it has to be 5.5L from what I have heard from my friends. And my 2,14,000+ kms that is nice to hear. Must be one well maintained car.
Even if Fill 5 Litres the level touches the Upper Marking or settles just below that. So did not bother to fill additional 0.5 litre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
That is an interesting data point. To my limited knowledge an IDI engine i.e. Oil Burner will consume some amount of oil. I have always seen the oil level drop over a period in time. What I am not sure of is the normally accepted rate of consumption.

Can any of the Oil Magnates out here please enlighten.
Even in our Indigo XL Grand DiCOR, the level does not fall below than that of after Oil Change.

You please have your car checked for any Oil Leaks. Is the Oil Filter tightened enough? Is there Oil around Head Gasket? Does the Oil Sump has some leaks?
Old 27th March 2011, 11:52   #597
BHPian

@IndigoXLGrandDi.
Irrespective of leaks, all engines consume some amount of oil.
Take a look at the following links. Though they may not be authorative an source they are informative ones.

Oil Consumption
http://www.ricardo.com/Documents/Dow...onsumption.pdf
What is Acceptable Oil Consumption in Diesel Engines?: Engine Builder

As per these and other articles.
The tolerable limit for engine oil consumption is around 1 quart(approx 900 ml) for 1000 miles (approx 1600 km)

My experience with my indica v2 IDI was that the consumption of oil was higher with mobil 05W40 and lesser with Mak/Castrol 15W40.

Since i could not locate any authoritative source for information specific to indica, i thought i might well take the opinion of the petrol/diesel heads on this forum :-)
Old 27th March 2011, 14:48   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
This helped. I got a 5L can of Mobil Delvac MX for my car. This shop is small but one hell of a busy outlet there selling everything from oil filters to car bumpers!
Zaks - Glad it was of help. The guy has all stuff and the best part it is genuine stuff. He is approached even by the Maruti folks for spares that's the kind of shop he is.

Waiting for my Mobil Delvac 1 to arrive.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2011, 21:46   #599
BHPian

Couldn't find Shell Rimula R4 anywhere in Kochi. Anybody know if it is available in coimbatore ?
Old 29th March 2011, 13:05   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Any idea wats the price for Mobil Delvac1?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks