Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 06:31   #571
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Maybe the 2 litre can that the mechanic is using is not proper.Its highly unlikely that mobil would cheat 50 ml.cross check the measurement in another one liter can and see.

Sure I will. Wonder CANs used by Maruti Authorized Service could be wrong.

If that's the case then my car now has more then 3.1L.

Heck that would not be good for the car
Old 21st February 2011, 09:00   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
We did check the dip stick there itself and it showed a little above the Max limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
If that's the case then my car now has more then 3.1L.

Heck that would not be good for the car
Definitely not good for the DDiS - have a bit of oil drained, maintain the level strictly on or a dot below the max limit.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:06   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7202 View Post
Hi Csateesh,

I spoke to Sandeep. He says he's received calls from atleast 15 people claiming to be from T-Bhp asking about Mobil Delvac 1 engine oil.

..He is a distributor and does not stock.

Since I am going there I'll be buying 3 ltrs 20W50 oil for my bike as well.

Cheers

KD

KD this has been the problem with Sandeep. He always suggests that he needs consolidated information while I have been pushing him to deliver stocks to retailers.

I always pick my stuff from J C Road Retailer but it has been as easily and freely available as we may like it to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
In my quest for best diesel engine oil, I am proud to announce that I successfully sourced 10L Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 in NCR. Yes, you read it right! Now before I give more details, please do feel jealous for a moment .
Finally I am glad to hear that someone has indeed picked up Delvac 1 in India in 5 L cans. I am going to push Sandeep to help the retailers stock the same in Bangalore. BTW can I ask which ride of yours would be getting pampered?

Cheers
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:46   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
... BTW can I ask which ride of yours would be getting pampered?

Cheers
This is for my humble Tata Manza. Though we already know that this is the best diesel engine oil, incidently my car's manual also suggests to fill this with change interval of 20k km's. I plan to change at 15k km's. Poor Tata A.S.S folks can't source this and are filling Mobil1 0W40 in diesel manza. Mobil1 0W40 is a great engine oil but for Petrol (API-SM), but it's only API-CF rated for diesel. I tried to explain this to them but they don't get it. To them all synthetics are the same .
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:11   #575
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to Replace Engine oil of my Pulsar 180 DTSi (UG III). So I went to a Shop and purchased Valvoline 4T 20W50 1 Ltr Engine Oil for Rs. 300/- (MRP. Rs.302/-).

At that time, I enquired about CH/CI 4 - 15W40 Diesel Engine Oils for Indigo. The Shop Owner told me that if I use CH/CI Grade, I should increase the Drain Interval to get the Benefits of "Higher Cost" of CH/CI Grades over CF Grade Engine Oil.

I am in confusion. Whether to Replace the Engine oil at 7,500kms or 15,000kms (as told by the Shop Owner).

Please guide.

Cars in Question are--
1)Indigo LS May 2004- 2,13,000+ kms
2)Indigo XL Grand DiCOR May 2007- 1,29,000+ kms.
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:33   #576
BHPian

Dear BHPians in Bangalore.

Finally I have some good news to share.

We should now be able to get Mobil Delvac 1 off the shelves of J K Automobiles in J C Road. First lot to arrive as early as mid next week.

Please contact the owners Satish (+919845065570) / Srinivasan (+919845016901)

I have a customer of their for a long time. Excellent service and reasonable prices.

Happy motoring

Cheers
Old 4th March 2011, 07:34   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I wanted to Replace Engine oil of my Pulsar 180 DTSi (UG III). So I went to a Shop and purchased Valvoline 4T 20W50 1 Ltr Engine Oil for Rs. 300/- (MRP. Rs.302/-).

At that time, I enquired about CH/CI 4 - 15W40 Diesel Engine Oils for Indigo. The Shop Owner told me that if I use CH/CI Grade, I should increase the Drain Interval to get the Benefits of "Higher Cost" of CH/CI Grades over CF Grade Engine Oil.

I am in confusion. Whether to Replace the Engine oil at 7,500kms or 15,000kms (as told by the Shop Owner).

Please guide.

Cars in Question are--
1)Indigo LS May 2004- 2,13,000+ kms
2)Indigo XL Grand DiCOR May 2007- 1,29,000+ kms.
I think your engine is the old TDI (not the common rail version). For you CF grade is the minimum specified, not CH.

That said, CH grade oil will indeed give you a better running thanks to advanced soot-retention properties and better viscosity. You can experiment with prolonging your drain interval a bit. But don't stretch it to double! After all, its your engine that will suffer. Experiment with small increments, like 7.5K to 10K.
Old 6th March 2011, 14:56   #578
Senior - BHPian

The Indigo LS is IDI 475 Turbocharged Diesel and Indigo XL is DiCOR (Common Rail).

Tata Motors Ltd has recommended 15W40 CF-4 for both Indigos but I dont understand how can BSIII Common Rail (Indigo XL) requires CF-4 instead of higher grade.
Old 6th March 2011, 16:22   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors Ltd has recommended 15W40 CF-4 for both Indigos but I dont understand how can BSIII Common Rail (Indigo XL) requires CF-4 instead of higher grade.
From being a Tata Indica owner (and sufferer) for the last 6 years, I can tell you that Tata's recommendations are more often marketing or logistics driven, rather than engineering driven! Take my word. If you have a common rail diesel injection car, don't fill anything below CH grade oil in it.

As already stated, CH will prove beneficial even to your non-common rail car.
Old 6th March 2011, 17:36   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
From being a Tata Indica owner (and sufferer) for the last 6 years, I can tell you that Tata's recommendations are more often marketing or logistics driven, rather than engineering driven! Take my word. If you have a common rail diesel injection car, don't fill anything below CH grade oil in it.

I beg to differ, Always stick to manufacturer's specifications.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:37   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Yes I agree with Predator. The Engine of Indigo LS is much Smoother when CH/CI 4 Oil is used than that of when CF-4 Oil was Used. The Sooth in case of CH/ CI4 is also less as compared to CF 4.

Tata Motors Ltd appoints IDIOTS, DUMB and HOPELESS People at their Authorised Dealerships, Service Centers, Customer Cares, Customer Support, etc i.e. at all Departments.

The Works Manager Nitin Patil at Sterling Motors, Solapur told me not to use Diesel Additives in the Fuel since it clogs the Holes of Injectors instead of cleaning them.
Old 7th March 2011, 21:27   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors Ltd appoints IDIOTS, DUMB and HOPELESS People at their Authorised Dealerships, Service Centers, Customer Cares, Customer Support, etc i.e. at all Departments.
ROFL:

1. The guys you call names are the ones taking care of the rest of the customers' vehicles and many dont have issues.

Quote:
The Works Manager Nitin Patil at Sterling Motors, Solapur told me not to use Diesel Additives in the Fuel since it clogs the Holes of Injectors instead of cleaning them.
2. W.r.t the diesel additive thingy, it depends on the additive added and in the quantities..now the injector holes are around 50 - 70 microns and diesel is highly compressed and atomised to go through that tiny hole..any impurity called by any name will be disaster for the injector as well as the pump if it is larger.

The above is entirely my personal opinion and you are welcome to disagree

Old 8th March 2011, 11:24   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...The guys you call names are the ones taking care of the rest of the customers' vehicles and many dont have issues.

The above is entirely my personal opinion and you are welcome to disagree
Headers, appreciate the optimistic view and I wish this is how it should be with all OE's and their A.S.S's. I also thought the same but my last 1 year of dealing with Tata and TASS is proving to be otherwise. Please take a look at the two pages scanned from my QJD Manza's service manual. And just to note this is from their current gen manza manual with Fiat Multijet engine.
Name:  Manza Specs 1.bmp
Views: 10361
Size:  978.8 KB

Name:  Manza Specs 2.bmp
Views: 9936
Size:  629.5 KB

First page specifies the specification for Diesel engine is 5W40 however in Co and Brand it says Mobil1 0W40. I think by 5W40 they mean Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 which is CI4+ rated oil and is probably the best oil in India for a CRDI mill. On the other hand Mobil1 0W40 is API SM (very good for petrol) but API-CF for diesel (not sure how good). Selenia WR 5W40 is also CF rated but is otherwise approved by FIAT so should be good I guess. On the second page, they say the oil grade needs to be API-CH4.

So based on this what do fill? There are 2 TASS's in Noida. One of them is filling Castrol EDGE 5W40 in Diesel cars and other is filling Mobil1 0W40. I don't know how good these are for a Diesel Manza but both are CF rated and that contradicts with what's on second page above. I have stopped filling oil from TASS and I am now using Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 sourced from outside. Also take a look at the recommended Co and Brand in Option 2 for Petrol Manza.

I am not against Tata and I think their cars are good buys at the price they are sold. However their attention to detail in Tata Service dept and service stations is below par and hence their cars turn out to be less reliable in long run. These are just my views and I am sure all dealers are not the same. Some would definitely be very good.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

Mobil 1 0W-40

Last edited by amit1234singla : 8th March 2011 at 11:25.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:24   #584
BHPian

My Indigo TDi has had two oil changes at the TASS. Both times, the SA refused to let me choose/buy the oil and insisted on Castrol GTX. It's roughly Rs.250/ltr. Haven't had any trouble yet. BTW the SA said they were insisting on GTX because of the extended drain interval (10K when it was previously less).
Old 16th March 2011, 18:27   #585
BHPian

MAK (Bharat Petroleum) has launched the CI4 in 5L, 7.5L, 10L and 20L packs under the name MAK Platinum. They had launched the 210L barrels 3 years ago, but the smaller packs are being made available now.
I haven't used it, I plan to change the oil next time I drive down to Trivandrum.
Has anyone used it? Any feedback?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks