Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 10:32   #526
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Gurus, can you please advise on what's the right engine oil for a CRDi engine with VGT. I am asking for my Manza which has done about 26k km's and Tata recommends Mobil1 0W40 for this with oil change interval of 20k km's.

I did the first oil change at 15k km (early wrt 20k recommended). Now the next oil change will be at 30k km.

Though Tata recommended, is Mobil1 0W40 good for the diesel engine? If not, what's the recommendation? My car is in warranty for next 3 years so I need to see how to go about anything other than Mobil1 0W40.

The reason I am asking is because I have observed that refinement levels have reduced in my car and engine sounds a little rough at all RPM's. No drop in power or pick-up observed though. I use system D as well after every 3-4 tanks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:03   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
My car is in warranty for next 3 years so I need to see how to go about anything other than Mobil1 0W40.
The reason I am asking is because I have observed that refinement levels have reduced in my car and engine sounds a little rough at all RPM's. No drop in power or pick-up observed though. I use system D as well after every 3-4 tanks.Thanks in advance.
Tata service center in all probability has not changed the oil with the recommended brand of oil thats why you have the rough engine. They might not have changed the oil at all. They did not in my Junkindica at the last service. Make sure you buy the recommended oil from their own shop in the sealed can and change the oil in your presence. IF they claim they do not have cans get the oil from outside but only the oil thats mentioned in the owners manual. They will try their level best to void your warranty. The oil filter too should be changed in your presence. Your car will be as good as new. Do not trust Tata *** one bit. They are about as good/bad as Skoda service centers though TATA's misdeeds have not yet come out in the open.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:32   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Tata service center in all probability has not changed the oil with the recommended brand of oil thats why you have the rough engine.
They did change the oil and filter, as it was in my presence. It was not from sealed cans but from a 210L drum which had Mobil1 0W40 written on it. The oil was taken out from the drum in presence. Well, can't say if they had any other oil filled in Mobil1 drum.

So are we saying Mobil1 0W40 is good enough for a CRDi car with VGT?
Old 8th February 2011, 11:39   #529
BHPian

@Doc,Is there a recommended engine oil by Maruti for the Swift Diesel?
My Swift D is approaching 70k and is due for service in March.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:56   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They did change the oil and filter, as it was in my presence. It was not from sealed cans but from a 210L drum which had Mobil1 0W40 written on it. The oil was taken out from the drum in presence. Well, can't say if they had any other oil filled in Mobil1 drum.

So are we saying Mobil1 0W40 is good enough for a CRDi car with VGT?
D

The 210 liter drum is what all workshops keep as the retail packs work very costly.

Did you check what API rating the Mobil1 0W40 has ? Check the owners manual it usually lists the recommended brands and also grade , if the oil grade match or exceed the recommended then no problems.

Most probably they have filled the right oil , I have observed that engine sound changes with oil change but settles down after 500 -1000 KM
Old 8th February 2011, 16:56   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
D

The 210 liter drum is what all workshops keep as the retail packs work very costly.

Did you check what API rating the Mobil1 0W40 has ? Check the owners manual it usually lists the recommended brands and also grade , if the oil grade match or exceed the recommended then no problems.

Most probably they have filled the right oil , I have observed that engine sound changes with oil change but settles down after 500 -1000 KM
hmmm.. a little more research and this is what comes out. Mobil1 0W40 is primarily a petrol engine oil and has API-SM rating for petrol. For diesel it's rating is only CF which is pretty old as we have minimum CH4 going on on all brands these days. I guess I need to change the oil. Loss of 4k
Old 8th February 2011, 17:29   #532
Team-BHP Support

I recently got indica serviced from the "street".
I usually buy a 4 liter can of Mobil TM-1000 (TATA OEM API-CH4 oil).
This time, the shop did not have it, so I asked him whether he has some other brand API-CH4 oil.
He gave me a Gulf branded 4 liter can which was API-CI4!

Yipee. I finally have API-CI4 for my indica. I used to feel bad about downgrading from the Castrol GTX Diesel which used to be API-CI4 and then somehow became API-CH4
Old 8th February 2011, 17:54   #533
BHPian

I did a lot of running around to get hold of oil from the open market that can be used in my Cruze. There presently is only one oil that meets the specification for the Cruze/Captiva and Skoda 2 liter CRDI engines. The important thing to look for here is C3 grade. Here I am not talking about CH or CI grade but specifically C3 grade. The only oil that presently meets this specification comes only in 25 liter drums from TOTAL/ELF/FINA. I asked the company to sell 1 and 5 liter cans but to no avail. They only sell it in 25 liter plastic drums and the photo of the Captiva is plastered on it. Its called Quartz9000LS.
Its too darn expensive and is about Rs 13000/ for the 25 liters.
This oil will probably be the best oil presently sold to Indians.
Majority of the oils available are A3 grade and cannot be used for the present set of CRDI engines what ever the manufacturers owners manual might say.
I believe Skoda too have specified the right oil as have GM for the Cruze/Captiva. Its a 5w40 grade oil so can be used in most parts of India for all cars sold in India with a CRDI engine.

Please note that Quartz 9000 does not meet the specifications but Quartz 9000LS does meet the requirements.
Certain versions of Mobil 1 also meet the specification but its not available in Kerala with their C&F agent in Ernakulam.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:48   #534
BHPian

Quote:
I did a lot of running around to get hold of oil from the open market that can be used in my Cruze.
Doc & others.. can I ask for help here.. you must have seen some previous posts where I asked what's the right engine oil for Manza QJD. Now in my last oil change @15k km's the TASS people filled Mobil1 0W40. Their recommended drain interval is 20k km. To my surprise, after driving for 10k km's since last oil change the engine tone on my car had become pretty rough. It feels strained. I did some research today and found out that Mobil1 0W40 is primarily a petrol oil (API-SM), but for diesel it's rated only at CF. I even went to the TASS this evening to check the ratings on their 200L drum and it is indeed CF. If I understand correctly, Mobil's syn oil for diesel is Delvac 1 5W40 which is rated at CI4+.

So my question to you is that can I continue to drive on the one they filled or it needs to changed asap. I know despite of 0W40 it's protecting my engine like an old gen CF rated oil, but I stil want to check as it will cost over 4k to get the oil+filter changed. Stupid TASS people. BTW it was at Oberoi Cars in Noida and they are a new dealership. I wish I had known a little about these oil grades earlier. I also checked the Petronas Selenia they are filling in Linea and Puntos is also CF rated. So much for paying for syn over Rs.1000/L.

I am going to a 1000 km trip tomorrow evening so if you all suggest to change, I have to get that done tomorrow morning.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:07   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc & others.. can I ask for help here.. you must have seen some previous posts where I asked what's the right engine oil for Manza QJD. Now in my last oil change @15k km's the TASS people filled Mobil1 0W40. Their recommended drain interval is 20k km. To my surprise, after driving for 10k km's since last oil change the engine tone on my car had become pretty rough. It feels strained. I did some research today and found out that Mobil1 0W40 is primarily a petrol oil (API-SM), but for diesel it's rated only at CF. I even went to the TASS this evening to check the ratings on their 200L drum and it is indeed CF. If I understand correctly, Mobil's syn oil for diesel is Delvac 1 5W40 which is rated at CI4+.

So my question to you is that can I continue to drive on the one they filled or it needs to changed asap. I know despite of 0W40 it's protecting my engine like an old gen CF rated oil, but I stil want to check as it will cost over 4k to get the oil+filter changed. Stupid TASS people. BTW it was at Oberoi Cars in Noida and they are a new dealership. I wish I had known a little about these oil grades earlier. I also checked the Petronas Selenia they are filling in Linea and Puntos is also CF rated. So much for paying for syn over Rs.1000/L.

I am going to a 1000 km trip tomorrow evening so if you all suggest to change, I have to get that done tomorrow morning.
Get it changed immediately! Considering the pressures at which a CRDI engine works, you don't know how much damage you've done by using a CF oil.

And why the fascination for Synthetic? Trust me dude, fill something like Mobil Delvac MX. Save money, and still give your car the best it deserves.
Old 8th February 2011, 19:59   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a CF grade oil IMO
Old 8th February 2011, 23:18   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Doc & others.. after driving for 10k km's since last oil change the engine tone on my car had become pretty rough. It feels strained. I did some research today and found out that Mobil1 0W40 is primarily a petrol oil (API-SM), but for diesel it's rated only at CF.Mobil's syn oil for diesel is Delvac 1 5W40 which is rated at CI4+.
So my question to you is that can I continue to drive on the one they filled or it needs to changed asap. I know despite of 0W40 it's protecting my engine like an old gen CF rated oil, but I stil want to check as it will cost over 4k to get the oil+filter changed. Stupid TASS people.
Since you have already covered 10000km I believe the oil has reached its end of life a few hundred km ago since its a CF rated oil. Change the oil tomorrow after the engine reaches operating temperatures. No need of any flushing oil just make sure you get the oil thats mentioned in the manual if you cannot get hold of the C3 grade oil I mentioned. Change the oil filter too. If the rough sound does not go away in about 500km then your engine has had long term damage due to wrong grade of oil. CRDI engines are very sensitive to oil specifications especially ones with DPF( Diesel Particulate Filters) and EGR.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:22   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CRDI engines are very sensitive to oil specifications especially ones with DPF( Diesel Particulate Filters) and EGR.
Thank you Doc, exactly the point I was trying to make. Having owned both normal and CRDI diesels, I'm surprised at how much TLC is required for the latter. Keep your CRDI healthy, and you'll be rewarded with performance AND diesel economy. Neglect/abuse it, and you're looking at premature failures and big bills.

@Headers - All CRDI engines require a minimum of CH grade oil.
Old 9th February 2011, 00:28   #539
Senior - BHPian

Am sure I have said this in this thread before - for CRDi engines, stick with Mobile Delvac MX / Shell Rimula and such mineral oils that are API CH4 / CI4 or higher. We do not have a good synthetic oil in India yet to quench our Turbo CRDi's needs - my attempts to source Mobile Delvac 1 has been futile so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nothing wrong with a CF grade oil IMO
Hope the FGP is not doing with a CF grade oil. On the other hand, FIAT has their own ranking for engine oils, so a CF grade oil *may also be* ranked good provided it meets FIAT's requirements...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th February 2011 at 00:32.
Old 9th February 2011, 06:17   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Hope the FGP is not doing with a CF grade oil. On the other hand, FIAT has their own ranking for engine oils, so a CF grade oil *may also be* ranked good provided it meets FIAT's requirements...

FGP uses Selenia 5W40 WR API-CF Grade oils - 15K change interval.

Also, this may be of some use
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oilguide.pdf (363.0 KB, 560 views)

Last edited by headers : 9th February 2011 at 06:29.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks