Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 00:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

http://www.box.net/shared/static/mcyb32zcwo.doc

Guys I read this doc and am a bit worried. Which class of engines does my indica engine come under?

And To be honest. I've felt that the indica has become a bit more coarse and less free revving after switching to delvac MX
Old 11th March 2009, 03:36   #17
BHPian

which is the best diesle engine oil for a vernaa cdri shell or mobil 1?
Old 11th March 2009, 03:47   #18
BHPian

My Ambassador runs on locally manufactured re filtered engine oil rated at 20W40 and it costs around 80rs per litre.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Between the two, go for Mobil Delvac MX..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
which is the best diesle engine oil for a vernaa cdri shell or mobil 1?
Maybe the Amby would even run with Kolhu brand Mustard oil that comes for Rs.70 a ltr..

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
My Ambassador runs on locally manufactured re filtered engine oil rated at 20W40 and it costs around 80rs per litre.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh
And To be honest. I've felt that the indica has become a bit more coarse and less free revving after switching to delvac
I feel that immediately after an oil change. But, it goes away after a few kms.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
But is Rimula any good ?

what about the other oils. I know castrol GTD is crap, because that what I've been using so far . Castrol GTX ought to be better.

Diesel Vehicle owners, Please do post your experiences
I use Shell 15W/40 Rimula for my landy.I havent faced any problems,though a little rough running after oil change then all is smooth.
cost around Rs 200/l.
Old 12th March 2009, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/mcyb32zcwo.doc

Guys I read this doc and am a bit worried. Which class of engines does my indica engine come under?

And To be honest. I've felt that the indica has become a bit more coarse and less free revving after switching to delvac MX
Your car has a TATA 475 TCIC, you could use vanaspati to lubricate it if you were short on cash. You worry too much.

Last edited by teknophobia : 12th March 2009 at 10:02.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:09   #23
rippergeo

After a short stint with synthetic oil in the beginning of my VDi ownership(i used mobil 1) I switched back to mineral oil. Rs3000 just for the oil was hard to digest.
Since then , have been using Mobil Delvac MX, and changing the oil every 5k.
I didnt find a performance drop with the mineral oil(maybe I was fooling my self, I dont know)
Even changing the oil at twice the recommended frequency, I didnt feel the pinch. But in the back of my mind, there has allways been a nagging doubt that I'm depriving my favourite car of the best possible engine protection.

Spent some time with Pete yesterday, 1/2hr later, I'm completely sold on synthetic, and kicking myself for running on mineral the last few months.
Got an engine flush(Wurth) then filled up with OWS Turboracing. Which is double the price of Mobil1
Apparently, peter has been using it on all the crazily modded skodas and hyundai diesels.

observations after 50kms
1.less noise
2.more free revving
to illustrate
On delvac MX, if I rev the car to 3.5k- I feel bad because the engine sounds strained and rough. now, at 4.5k the engine is revving happily.

another observation- if I take my foot of the accelerator at 4.5k rpm, the car keeps rolling on effortlessly. On delvac MX, the car's nose would dive immediately as soon as the foot was off the accelerator, as if the brakes were being applied. Welcome side effect- no more lift off oversteer on ghat roads mid corner. not so welcome side effect- I expect engine braking will decrease. Will update after my next ghat run.

I'm not going to change my mind again- I'm sticking to fully synthetic.
At the most, i may climb down to delvac 1 or mobil1, but as long as I can help it, I'm not using any other oil again.

Old 17th March 2009, 15:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Spent some time with Pete yesterday, 1/2hr later, I'm completely sold on synthetic, and kicking myself for running on mineral the last few months.
Got an engine flush(Wurth) then filled up with OWS Turboracing. Which is double the price of Mobil1
Apparently, peter has been using it on all the crazily modded skodas and hyundai diesels.

observations after 50kms
1.less noise
2.more free revving
to illustrate
On delvac MX, if I rev the car to 3.5k- I feel bad because the engine sounds strained and rough. now, at 4.5k the engine is revving happily.

another observation- if I take my foot of the accelerator at 4.5k rpm, the car keeps rolling on effortlessly. On delvac MX, the car's nose would dive immediately as soon as the foot was off the accelerator, as if the brakes were being applied. Welcome side effect- no more lift off oversteer on ghat roads mid corner. not so welcome side effect- I expect engine braking will decrease. Will update after my next ghat run.

I'm not going to change my mind again- I'm sticking to fully synthetic.
At the most, i may climb down to delvac 1 or mobil1, but as long as I can help it, I'm not using any other oil again.
Ya, the oil is expensive but the perfomance gains are fantastic as you have experienced yourself. It provides superior protection just the way a heavy oil would, but it is a very light weight oil. Apart from the performance you are stressing your engine internals much lesser. If driven properly you will benefit from additional mileage.
Old 17th March 2009, 15:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

ripper, cost please
Old 17th March 2009, 16:23   #26
rippergeo

Quote:
ripper, cost please
@greenhorn- will PM you. Just recieved a severe reprimanding from my motorhead younger brother for spending that much on an oil. if my wife happens on the price(this is an open forum) I'm dead. Note-She is not a motorhead, unlike my younger brother, so you can imagine.

@sideways-Glad to know that I was not imagining the performance gains. I do tend to get impressed easily, and opinions from experienced people like you are reassuring.

Old 17th March 2009, 16:48   #27

HI,

I have Swift VDI (20 K on odo) which is due for service, this time I am thinking of changing to synthatic , i enquired in Shell , they have 5w40 (around 3,200 for 4 Ltr can), I read some where in the thread that 5w50 should be used.

Please let me know whether I can use 5w40 , instead 5w50, does 40 & 50 makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:45   #28
BHPian

can i use synthetic oil in my lancer diesel .it has done 17k km. which oil should i use as the mobil 1 available here seems to be for the petrol engines.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:05   #29
BHPian

has anyone used Agip and pentium 5000 synthetic oil on diesel engine?
Old 8th April 2009, 16:43   #30
BHPian

Which grade Synthetic Oil should I use for my Palio Multijet? I think I'm sold on Mobil 'coz everybody swears by it, but 'm not sure which Mobil should I go for? And where in Bangalore will I find it easily (reliable)?

I'm a little scared about spurious oils, my friend's family back home in Goa is one of the dealers for Castrol. His uncle's shop was once raided & they found spurious Castrol oil there. Have lost faith since then, if main dealers do this, imagine what smaller establishments do.

Most Viewed