Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2023, 23:00   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Why is it recommended by the Vehicle Manufacturers to use Low Viscosity Oil in Modern BS-VI Engines?

For example Hyundai recommends to use ACEA C5 0W20 in their BS-VI Diesel Engines (except Tucson where ACEA C2 0W30 is recommended) in India as shown in the below image taken from HMIL website-

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20231008214200.png

How does 0W20 or 0W30 Grade withstand the Ambient Temperatures of 40+Degrees at various places in India? Or is this just a New Gimmick used by the Manufacturers to force the Customers to mandatorily bring their BS-VI Vehicles to ASCs as Such Oils cost a bomb in Aftermarket?

What happens if API CI4/CI4+ SAE 15W40 or 10W40 Diesel Engine Oil is used instead?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th October 2023 at 23:13. Reason: Typos.
Old 9th October 2023, 04:41   #2582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Why is it recommended by the Vehicle Manufacturers to use Low Viscosity Oil in Modern BS-VI Engines?

For example Hyundai recommends to use ACEA C5 0W20 in their BS-VI Diesel Engines (except Tucson where ACEA C2 0W30 is recommended) in India as shown in the below image taken from HMIL website-

Attachment 2514891

How does 0W20 or 0W30 Grade withstand the Ambient Temperatures of 40+Degrees at various places in India? Or is this just a New Gimmick used by the Manufacturers to force the Customers to mandatorily bring their BS-VI Vehicles to ASCs as Such Oils cost a bomb in Aftermarket?

What happens if API CI4/CI4+ SAE 15W40 or 10W40 Diesel Engine Oil is used instead?
ACEA C5, C2 and C3 etc are mid SaPS engine oils complying with low emission standards to protect the exhaust aftertreatment systems such as DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) found in Euro VI diesel engines.

API CI4/CI4+ (that typically carries ACEA E7/E9) or passenger car ACEA A3/B4 are not mid SaPS. They are high SaPS oils not suitable for Euro VI engines in terms of damaging the DPF.

For cheaper alternative that complies with Euro VI engine emission requirement (hence would not cause damage to DPF), one could opt for another mid-SaPS in ACEA C3 engine oils which are generally easily available at a cheaper price and offer a far thicker viscosity in terms of engine component protection.

Last edited by zeng : 9th October 2023 at 04:43. Reason: Add:mid SaPS.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 05:59   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can very well use a CK4 rated higher viscosity engine oil which will work with BS6 / Euro 6 engines without poisoning the DPF. There are 5w30 / 5w40 / 10w30 / 15w40 all available in the market with a CK4 rating, but not always easy to find.

Castrol CRB Turbomax / Turbomax Plus is widely available in CK4 (and also in its older ratings, so check the jug or bucket you buy it in for the rating that is clearly marked).

Failing that you can certainly use a 5w30 ACEA C3 like Castrol Edge but that is quite expensive.

Don't use older spec oils on a BS6 for the reasons @zeng explained.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 00:17   #2584
Senior - BHPian

I searched on Amazon.in and found Castrol CRB TURBOMAX 15W-40 CK4 Diesel Engine Oil for Commercial and Heavy Duty Vehicles which is selling for Rs. 4808/- (MRP Shown on Amazon.in is Rs. 5734/-). Is the seller selling Genuine Castrol 15W40 CK4 Diesel Engine Oil 15Ltr Pack at this price?

Our Alcazar (August 2021) does not have DPF (since we did not observe DPF Light till date, Touchwood). Can I safely use above Castrol Engine Oil in our Alcazar where Hyundai recommends to use 0W20 ACEA C5 spec Oil? Will the said Castrol Oil damage something inside Engine or Exhaust system?

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2023 at 22:27. Reason: As requested
Old 11th November 2023, 00:22   #2585
Senior - BHPian

If the seller is Amazon the oil will be genuine, and Amazon is able to discount more steeply than traditional oil distributors, never mind retailers.

As for your Alcazar if it’s a bs6 then it does have dpf / scr. However a 2021 car will be under warranty so use the Hyundai default bs6 oil till the warranty lasts.

Quote:
I searched on Amazon.in and found Castrol CRB TURBOMAX 15W-40 CK4 Diesel Engine Oil for Commercial and Heavy Duty Vehicles which is selling for Rs. 4808/- (MRP Shown on Amazon.in is Rs. 5734/-). Is the seller selling Genuine Castrol 15W40 CK4 Diesel Engine Oil 15Ltr Pack at this price?

Our Alcazar (August 2021) does not have DPF (since we did not observe DPF Light till date, Touchwood). Can I safely use above Castrol Engine Oil in our Alcazar where Hyundai recommends to use 0W20 ACEA C5 spec Oil? Will the said Castrol Oil damage something inside Engine or Exhaust system?

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2023 at 19:12. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2023, 07:27   #2586
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

.. Can I safely use above Castrol Engine Oil in our Alcazar where Hyundai recommends to use 0W20 ACEA C5 spec Oil?
Regarding the first part, the oil appears to be genuine. One cannot judge the genuineness of oil with price it is being sold at online. Oil companies also check the prices and products sold online. They will object and get any fake product removed before we come to know.

For the second part, the oil specification is quite different. A CK4 oil will out perform a C5 oil on multiple aspects, however, it will lose pathetically on fuel economy. Moreover, 0w20 and 15w40 oil grade themselves will have at least 2% fuel economy difference. The cost benefit of this oil will be lost after 1 year of usage.
Old 11th November 2023, 07:57   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
For the second part, the oil specification is quite different. A CK4 oil will out perform a C5 oil on multiple aspects, however, it will lose pathetically on fuel economy. Moreover, 0w20 and 15w40 oil grade themselves will have at least 2% fuel economy difference. The cost benefit of this oil will be lost after 1 year of usage.

(I’m not trying to explain this to you but this is for the other bhpians reading this)

What works better for a high torque turbo diesel - especially a parameter called HTHS (high temperature high shear) that is available in the data sheets of all oils.

Typical low viscosity oils are designed for fuel economy but also come with extensive additive packs to ensure that HTHS is up to the mark. These diesel optimised oils like the ck4 you mentioned have significantly higher hths for big and powerful truck engines so will be useful in larger car diesels to an extent. They’re not going to be optimal in say a 1.5 litre sedan turbo diesel .. switching to a 0w40 or 5w40 from a 20 or 30 weight oil (0w20, 0w30, 5w30 etc) might be more optimal at the cost of a little fuel economy.

As an anecdote - my 3.2 Endy gets driven at relaxed driving speeds (110-120 max steady cruising on highways) and I’ve seen 10.7++ fuel economy with this turbomax ck4 oil, which is if anything a bit more than I’ve seen with 5w30 or 5w40 semi or full synthetic passenger car oils. The engine feels smoother as well.

As for what HTHS is ..

Quote:
HTHS ( High Temperature High Shear) viscosity is the way we measure the ability of fully heated oil (150°C) to run efficiently between the narrow openings of fast-moving engine parts: for example, between piston ring and lining, valve train, gearwheel contact points, and so on.

Last edited by hserus : 11th November 2023 at 07:58.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 08:25   #2588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
.. fuel economy with this turbomax ck4 oil, which is if anything a bit more than I’ve seen with 5w30 or 5w40 semi or full synthetic passenger car oils. The engine feels smoother as well.
Yes, fuel economy is a difficult concept to comprehend.

A 5w30 A3/B4 may have less fuel economy than a 5w40 A5/B5. It is not a given, that if we use thinner oil, we will get better FE.
Moreover, this 2% is max expected. Typically 5w30 vs 5w40 will have a small 0.5% increment only. This cannot be measured without error. Sometimes, it will show up as a loss rather than a gain.
Old 11th November 2023, 08:35   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, fuel economy is a difficult concept to comprehend.

A 5w30 A3/B4 may have less fuel economy than a 5w40 A5/B5. It is not a given, that if we use thinner oil, we will get better FE.
Moreover, this 2% is max expected. Typically 5w30 vs 5w40 will have a small 0.5% increment only. This cannot be measured without error. Sometimes, it will show up as a loss rather than a gain.
Yes a 5w30 a3b4 will be about as good as a 5w40 though I’m not entirely sure there’s any such thing as a 40 weight a5b5.

By the way see this https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...30-oil.361530/

Last edited by hserus : 11th November 2023 at 08:37.
Old 11th November 2023, 09:11   #2590
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes a 5w30 a3b4 will be about as good as a 5w40 though I’m not entirely sure there’s any such thing as a 40 weight a5b5.
Wurth 0w40 claims to be A5/B5 compliant.
Old 11th November 2023, 11:13   #2591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wurth 0w40 claims to be A5/B5 compliant.
I can’t quite see the point of having a 40 weight oil and thinning it down to what is more or less a thirty weight one. Oh well.
Old 21st November 2023, 19:39   #2592
BHPian

Purchased Castrol Edge 5w40 for my Swift 1.3 DDIS. This time bought the oil from a Castrol authorized dealer in my hometown (Ghaziabad). No discounts and was costlier than the same available on Amazon/Boodmo. But the peace of mind of genuine oil trumps any monetary benefits. Costed 3500 for 3.5 L.

Edge has changed the ACEA specification from A3/B4 to C3 now. As I looked it up C3 is more advanced and probably backward compatible with A3/B4.

I did also confirm over mail with Castrol folks that the oil is indeed genuine.
Will be changing this tomorrow or day after myself

All about diesel engine oils-img_3233.jpeg
Old 22nd November 2023, 06:04   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsharma View Post
Purchased Castrol Edge 5w40 for my Swift 1.3 DDIS. This time bought the oil from a Castrol authorized dealer in my hometown (Ghaziabad). No discounts and was costlier than the same available on Amazon/Boodmo. But the peace of mind of genuine oil trumps any monetary benefits. Costed 3500 for 3.5 L.
Well worth the money to try at least once and can peacefully last 15k+ kilometres if used mostly on the highway. Once is all I tried though, buying 3 cans for each oil change at this price is more than my wallet will tolerate.
Old 7th December 2023, 10:59   #2594

Hey team ,since our Aspire diesel (bs4) is almost now due for an oil change ,was contemplating a change of oil from its usual 5w30 Castrol start stop magnatec fully synthetic.Was primarily thinking of mannol 7511 with idemitsu ifd5 on the side lines.Any recommendations and/or review regarding mannol(having a very good experience with there gear oil ,although it commanded a premium compared to our regular brands)would be appreciated and is it worth upgrading/changing from Castrol?
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-img20231205wa0000.jpg  

Old 7th December 2023, 11:20   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhruvBhardwaj View Post
Hey team ,since our Aspire diesel (bs4) is almost now due for an oil change ,was contemplating a change of oil from its usual 5w30 Castrol start stop magnatec fully synthetic.Was primarily thinking of mannol 7511 with idemitsu ifd5 on the side lines.Any recommendations and/or review regarding mannol(having a very good experience with there gear oil ,although it commanded a premium compared to our regular brands)would be appreciated and is it worth upgrading/changing from Castrol?
Why don't you try Castrol Edge 5w30 for instance if you really think your car needs a premium oil? Mannol / Liqui Moly are overpriced for what they provide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks